Any watch experts out there?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    I’ve got one JUST like that in my safe that I’ve been meaning to take to Watch Repair to have the battery changed in & have checked-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    A good watchman could possibly repair it and not break the bank. I have an older Luminox watch that I have worn for many years and it finally stopped keeping time. My watch guy replaced the entire internal movement for like 40 bucks. Well worth it to me. Now, it was nothing digital like yours but you never know unless you take it to a trusted watchmaker to get their opinion. If the watch it worth it to you then its worth it to at least get it checked out.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did a lot of searching before I replaced the batteries.

Be careful choosing battery replacement options. I went to a ”batteries store” (Perkins near Bluebonnet) for a new battery for a higher-end Seiko. Twenty-five minutes later they handed me the watch and said “We can’t get it to work,” and charged me $40 plus tax for the battery.

As it turned out they damaged the oscillator coil trying to get the battery out. The Seiko repair depot bill was over three hundred bucks.

Three years later I took it to Watch Repair Inc. on Florida. He charged $20. That included the battery and resetting the perpetual calendar (it’s an analog day-date that knows the year so that the numerical date is always right.)

The next time I need a new battery (this June) I will go back to Watch Repair Inc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I didn’t have much to add until I saw the name Kenny Casso. Good watch maker. I know a good friend of his, who is also a watch maker, and he has high regards for Kenny.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    A good watchman could possibly repair it and not break the bank. I have an older Luminox watch that I have worn for many years and it finally stopped keeping time. My watch guy replaced the entire internal movement for like 40 bucks. Well worth it to me. Now, it was nothing digital like yours but you never know unless you take it to a trusted watchmaker to get their opinion. If the watch it worth it to you then its worth it to at least get it checked out.

Be glad you didn’t have to send it to luminox. I had one that went for warranty work that took over a year (no exaggeration). Needless to say I’d rather pay the $40 if I ever have a problem again LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Be careful choosing battery replacement options.

This. Exactly.

Anyone can buy a cheap collection of watch tools off of eBay and start popping watch backs off to replace the battery, but there's a good chance that they'll do more damage than good. I've seen watch backs and watch cases that look like they were attacked the watch with a hammer and chisel. I've also seen cracked dials from people pushing on the battery, damaged movements, or even fingerprints on the movement that eventually corroded.

A "simple" battery change isn't that hard, but it takes some knowledge to do it properly. And if we're talking about a water resistant or water proof watch, then it gets a lot more complex—especially if the watch has a screw down crown or the like.

Please, take your watches to a knowledgeable watchmaker to get the battery changed (like Kenny Casso, who I have also heard good things about).

Mike

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Be glad you didn’t have to send it to luminox. I had one that went for warranty work that took over a year (no exaggeration). Needless to say I’d rather pay the $40 if I ever have a problem again LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly. I have a great watch man that I use for pocket watches. He does a lot of work for companies such as Rolex but he still squeezes me in when I need a pocket watch redone or some other type of watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom