Any watch experts out there?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have an old Citizen Promaster Aqualand diving watch that sat up for a little while. I decided to revive it and started by replacing the batteries. It worked. I adjusted the digital time just fine. But I ran into an issue adjusting the analog time. The second hand stopped moving when I unscrewed the crown but didn't start back when I screwed it back in. I sent an email to Citizen. It's a discontinued model so they won't work on it. They said they wouldn't have the parts. Is it even worth bringing it in to a watchmaker to have them look at it? Is something like this, in general, an easy fix?

7dehwg1nftgjwazz3x6.jpeg

0gw73qvc4e4zwtdvwsew.jpeg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Nice looking watch! I'd say that it really depends on how much you want to put into it in order to get it working. It wouldn't hurt to take it by a local jeweler and get their thoughts.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have an old Citizen Promaster Aqualand diving watch that sat up for a little while. I decided to revive it and started by replacing the batteries. It worked. I adjusted the digital time just fine. But I ran into an issue adjusting the analog time. The second hand stopped moving when I unscrewed the crown but didn't start back when I screwed it back in. I sent an email to Citizen. It's a discontinued model so they won't work on it. They said they wouldn't have the parts. Is it even worth bringing it in to a watchmaker to have them look at it? Is something like this, in general, an easy fix?

7dehwg1nftgjwazz3x6.jpeg

0gw73qvc4e4zwtdvwsew.jpeg

If you are around BR take it the the watch shop 7675 Florida Blvd. The owner has always been helpful and they are very pro police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Simple answer: No.

It will cost more than the watch is worth to repair.

'Worth' is subjective. It might cost more than the resale value of it, but it could be 'worth it'

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’m sure the place I suggested will look at it and give you an honest estimate. It may be a simple piece has broken and will cost next to nothing to fix.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    'Worth' is subjective. It might cost more than the resale value of it, but it could be 'worth it'

If it has sentimental value, sure. The OP didn’t seem to mention that.

Pop the model number in the google machine and you can find them for $100-200. Assuming you spend $50-100 for a donor watch, then another $100-200 on repair, you have hit the point of diminishing returns.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I collect watches and would really like to have an answer to this for you.
    Unfortunately, this is a hard one.
    I’d take Motor51’s advice and take it to a local person.
    If that doesn’t work I’ll gladly look on the watch forums I am on to see if there are any known issues for that model.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I collect watches and would really like to have an answer to this for you.
    Unfortunately, this is a hard one.
    I’d take Motor51’s advice and take it to a local person.
    If that doesn’t work I’ll gladly look on the watch forums I am on to see if there are any known issues for that model.

Stay off of watchuseek, it will cost you money lol

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m sure the place I suggested will look at it and give you an honest estimate. It may be a simple piece has broken and will cost next to nothing to fix.

I got your message. I'll give him a shot.

If it has sentimental value, sure. The OP didn’t seem to mention that.

Pop the model number in the google machine and you can find them for $100-200. Assuming you spend $50-100 for a donor watch, then another $100-200 on repair, you have hit the point of diminishing returns.

I did a lot of searching before I replaced the batteries. The watch was a divorce present to myself. It doesn't have great sentimental value but I would drop a little more if it can be fixed. I like the watch.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I did a lot of searching before I replaced the batteries. The watch was a divorce present to myself. It doesn't have great sentimental value but I would drop a little more if it can be fixed. I like the watch.

Never hurts to ask.

I have a Bulova diver with a stripped crown and the quote to fix it was ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Never hurts to ask.

I have a Bulova diver with a stripped crown and the quote to fix it was ridiculous.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Former watchmaker here.

The short answer is that it may not be repairable -- at least, not without replacing the movement. Much will depend on why it stopped -- is a stepper motor dead? The internal computer dead? Or, if you're lucky, just a bad battery?

I don't know if this particular movement can be disassembled -- but even if it can, parts are likely not available for it.

Sorry. Your money is probably better spent on a new watch.

Mike

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Lol. Might as well show it off for that kinda money Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nah.
    One of the reasons I bought it is that it looks like any other cheapo diver.
    I know what it is and am happy that way.

It’s like the guy that goes to a prostitute with a 1* penis.
    She asks, *Who’re you going to please with that?*
    He says, *Me.*

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Former watchmaker here.

The short answer is that it may not be repairable -- at least, not without replacing the movement. Much will depend on why it stopped -- is a stepper motor dead? The internal computer dead? Or, if you're lucky, just a bad battery?

I don't know if this particular movement can be disassembled -- but even if it can, parts are likely not available for it.

Sorry. Your money is probably better spent on a new watch.

Mike

Even with a donor watch, the juice isn't worth the squeeze in my opinion.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think that it can’t hurt to get an estimate. I can also HIGHLY recommend Watch Repair, Inc. at 7675 Florida Blvd. in BTR 225-926-4351. The owner is Kenny Casso. Very pro-Vet and pro-LEO.

Once I had a $309 estimate for the repair of an analog watch at another shop. Kenny did it for $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I think that it can’t hurt to get an estimate. I can also HIGHLY recommend Watch Repair, Inc. at 7675 Florida Blvd. in BTR 225-926-4351. The owner is Kenny Casso. Very pro-Vet and pro-LEO.

Once I had a $309 estimate for the repair of an analog watch at another shop. Kenny did it for $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to know.
    I’ve got an elderly Omega that needs some care.

Top Bottom