Favorite Hand Tool Brands

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    For hand tools I mostly use Knipex, Klein, and wera(I’ve also got about half a dozen of those tiny husky screw drivers from Home Depot). For power tools, I use dewalt, but I get those free from work. I think yellow and red are just about in a tie, I used a dewalt hammer drill daily at work for 7ish years. I finally replaced it after I dropped it from the top of a 32 foot ladder. Outside of that, never had an issue.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For hand tools I mostly use Knipex, Klein, and wera(I’ve also got about half a dozen of those tiny husky screw drivers from Home Depot). For power tools, I use dewalt, but I get those free from work. I think yellow and red are just about in a tie, I used a dewalt hammer drill daily at work for 7ish years. I finally replaced it after I dropped it from the top of a 32 foot ladder. Outside of that, never had an issue.

I like Knipex. I had to order some random things from Lowes and was surprised to see they now sell Knipex. Ordered some pliers with everything else.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Mhmm they sell knipex in store here in Covington

A few years ago I was in the Covington store and asked if they sold Knipex, but they didn’t at the time.

I think Home Depot lists them online as well.

They make a set of adjustable smooth jaw pliers that look really handy.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Hitachi for most of my power and air tools, with the exception of a Craftsman table saw. At least half of my gear is from https://bigskytool.com/.

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you said hand tools after I posted and can't figure out how to delete this post. The only hand tool I'm 100% inflexible on are my PicQuic drivers. Grew up with them in Canada and hard to find down here in-store, but they're on Amazon.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    While I cannot comment on all of the harbor freight stuff, I have been using their multi color metric sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive for about 4 or 5 yrs, daily, on customer cars. Use them with electric impacts as well. Never had an issue, and the price is better than anywhere else, and they are lifetime warranty if you break one.

I have some of their socket extension bars as well, good to go. Not enough experience with the hand ratchets, don't use them much.

The 3 piece tin coated step bits (unibits) that the sell cheap are great, use them all of the time, cutting spot welds, in various metals, plastic, etc. I have broken and dulled them, but they last way longer than a 10 dollar set of unibits has a right to!

We use Milwaukee m12 and some of the m18 line. I have been happy with them for the most part. I need to return a few for warrantee work, we will see how that goes.

maddenfreak13

wannabe operator
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2007
    Houma, LA
    As a professional carpenter u cant go wrong with dewalt/stanley. The mini prybars are the **** and hand planes are so good. Hammers are dewalt. locking plyers and clamps are visegrip. Dewalt chisels are on point too even the construction (demolition) chisel is great. Now if this was a thread on power tools it would be interesting who says what.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    What kind of hand tols, mechanics or woodworking. Most of my mechanic types are 50 years old Craftsman with a few Proto and channelock thrown in. Woodworking, Lie Nelson, Record, Stanley, and old Stanley Bedrock handplanes. Lei Nelson chisels , other chisels are old Greenlee, Stanley , Stanley Sweetheart ( wood handles) and Record, I cannot remember handsaw brands right now, but they area also 50+ years old.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell sometimes. I purchase these type because it's part for the course of being an automotive technician. Kinda pricy but they come to you and replace anything that breaks or wears out.
    There are differences between all of the manufacturers I mentioned. I will not buy matco wrenches as the open ends will spread. Snap on battery operated stuff is a no go and I use Matco for those. Cornwell is like Matco but for some reason my experience has led me to their air tools.
    Agreed harbor freight works sometimes and mostly good at supplying consumables.
    Home improvement stuff depends on the task at hand. I most of the time will be a name-brand-whore for those tools. Gotta figure better to complete a task rather than stall behind shoddy or failed equipment.
    Only my 2 pennies worth guys

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I recently broke some Dewalt drills bits that are partially my fault, but the way they broke was upsetting. Not enough for me to ditch my Dewalt tools, but the Milwaukee bits I have are nice. The bits I use for a good fit are my Wiha set.

I will never buy Dewalt cutting tools again. Lennox, Diablo, Irwing, etc. are the way to go. I have nothing bad to say about the power tools themselves just the blades, bits, and especially the cutoff wheels.

For hand tools is a mix bag, I was a Craftsman guy but I hate their 3/8th ratchet and the 1/2 ratchet should have tighter teeth for the price. I’ve got a mix of cheap store brands, Stanley, Klein, and Craftsman. I’m sure I missed someone.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It’s also worth noting cheap corded circular, reciprocating, table, chop saws, grinder, and drill motors quality blades and bits have lasted me ad decade of use and abuse.

Quality cutting edges makes all the difference regardless of quality of motor.

That said if I used any of those for a living they would all be Milwaukee brushless cordless tools.

I have their small M12 drill and impact driver. They are super light and out work the big heavy cordless stuff I had years ago.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Say what you want but I like Ridgid cordless tools. You can't beat the lifetime service agreement on the tool and batteries that are included in the multi-tool packs. If I have a problem I take it in and they fix it no problems. For jigsaw, portable table saw and router I like Bosch. Everything else is a mishmosh or Craftsman, Harbor Freight and Kobalt whatever is at hand.

I still use a corded Black and Decker 6 1/2inch circ saw I have had for over 20 years still runs just change the blade.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I heard snap on was buying out harbor freight. They were doing away with the harbor freight tools and selling snap on as well as a less expensive (but better than HF) line of tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom