What's the story with Amazon links and jdteta-20?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I made a post asking for bore sight recommendations and noticed something that got some wheels spinning.

If you post a normal amazon link like https: //www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U7GX8K the website rewrites the URL to include a referral. See for yourself I'll post the same link without the space https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U7GX8K

The website rewrites the URL to include this at the end - /ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001U7GX8K&linkCode=as2&tag=jdteta-20

It doesn't do it when you preview the post but only after pressing the Submit button. Apparently the info that comes after the tag variable is the Amazon user who gets the affiliate credit.

jdteta-20 is the account that will get referral moneys if someone were to buy the product after clicking the link. If you search for "jdteta-20" in quotes on Google you get quite a few results. It looks like there are quite a few gun forums that do this URL rewrite - https://www.google.com/search?q="jdteta-20"

The google search shows amazon affiliate links for jdteta-20 on warriortalk.com, surplusrifleforum.com, gulfcoastgunforum.com, mdshooters.com, yellowbullet.com, ingunowners.com, preparedgunowners.com, and arizonashooting.com and of course bayoushooter.com.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Very interesting. So someone is getting paid anytime posts a link from amazon on any of the above listed sites including BS?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That's a very typical setup of forums nowadays. The parent company of BayouShooter (Congregate Media) owns quite a few forums (including the gun-forums mentioned above). While I wasn't aware that this ad-strategy was implemented, I am not surprised as it is very common.

Speaking of referral links, I need to go find/bump my post with a few of my own referral links in it, lol! While it may be a surprise to many, I help run this site for free out of a desire to help better the Louisiana shooting community. A few extra bucks from random referral links definitely doesn't hurt, though.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    That's a very typical setup of forums nowadays. The parent company of BayouShooter (Congregate Media) owns quite a few forums (including the gun-forums mentioned above). While I wasn't aware that this ad-strategy was implemented, I am not surprised as it is very common.

Speaking of referral links, I need to go find/bump my post with a few of my own referral links in it, lol! While it may be a surprise to many, I help run this site for free out of a desire to help better the Louisiana shooting community. A few extra bucks from random referral links definitely doesn't hurt, though.

So, after Spanky sold the forum to the kevin guy in Texas, it has changed hands again???

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, after Spanky sold the forum to the kevin guy in Texas, it has changed hands again???

No, it hasn't changed hands again.

Kevin from TX = Puritanize (other site admin) = Part of Congregate Media

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well that answers it, didn’t realize all of these sites were under the same umbrella organization.

Yeah, glad to help clarify it.

Like anything else, economies of scale and/or scope can be gained by having numerous websites.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well that answers it, didn’t realize all of these sites were under the same umbrella organization.

Once upon a time, they weren't. BS has only had two owners, Spanky and Congregate Media (Kevin a.k.a. Puritanize).

Spanky and Mel ran it for a long time. He ran other forums too, but life happens and he sold the forum to Kevin.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

Makes sense. Gotta pay the bills somehow! Sorry for opening up a possible can of worms just thought it was odd and searching bayoushooter for jdteta didn't bring anything up.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Makes sense. Gotta pay the bills somehow! Sorry for opening up a possible can of worms just thought it was odd and searching bayoushooter for jdteta didn't bring anything up.

All good! It was a good question!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom