Sorry, AR-15's are not like LEGO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No. A qualified AR Armorer.
    But YouTube is free in I watch this one guy so much and he’s got a trust worthy face.

I’ve had good luck assembling the couple I’ve built just reading online, understanding what goes where and why, picking up tips and tricks from forums and 100% honest experts from YouTube. It seems like I’ve been lucky on headspace. I remember someone telling me to buy the bolt with the barrel when I built my Grendel because the type I type II nonsense but it’s probably good advice to help decrease tolerance stacking concerns.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    But YouTube is free in I watch this one guy so much and he’s got a trust worthy face.

I’ve had good luck assembling the couple I’ve built just reading online, understanding what goes where and why, picking up tips and tricks from forums and 100% honest experts from YouTube. It seems like I’ve been lucky on headspace. I remember someone telling me to buy the bolt with the barrel when I built my Grendel because the type I type II nonsense but it’s probably good advice to help decrease tolerance stacking concerns.

There are ten times as many bad videos as good videos on YouTube.

Instructor Chad is a good channel. Various companies have released installation videos that have merit.

Then you have all of the "experts" who bubba their guns. Daniel Defense even took down their assembly video when actual experts told them it was bad for their reputation, because it was so awful.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There are ten times as many bad videos as good videos on YouTube.

Instructor Chad is a good channel. Various companies have released installation videos that have merit.

Then you have all of the "experts" who bubba their guns. Daniel Defense even took down their assembly video when actual experts told them it was bad for their reputation, because it was so awful.

Lol nice.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I really do have a real question I need to change something on my factory-build lower.
    As the upper maker wants it done.
    I will start my own thread so as not to mess this one up.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Lol nice.

The issue was that DD cuts corners and the video was proof. The average unknowing gun owner couldn’t tell, but it opened them up to criticism from other companies, armorers, gunsmiths, and the informed gun owners.

I reaaly do jave a real question i need to change something on my factory build lower.
    As the upper maker wants it done.
    I will start my own thread so as not to mess this one up.

Ask away. I’m willing to help if I can. I’m not willing to deal with trolling and an attempt to derail a thread.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I bought a set of gauges years ago and have yet to find one ‘no go’ upper assembly, barrel or build. I’m not saying it’s a waste of time to check, it does offer peace of mind. Even if you’re simply changing BCG’s or even just the bolt. And I’m apt to swap a BCG any time I run into an issue at the range. It’s usually one of the first things shooters do to diagnose FTF.
    I’m guessing the standards that 5.56 AR 15 parts manufacturers generally stick to creates an environment for less problems in the headspace department. However, I have found more than one AR10 based upper to be a no go and wound up sending one of mine back because it had a shallow chamber and was chrome lined so useless to me at that point. A short chamber needs a reaming and a deep chamber you need to remove the extension and take some material off the shoulder of the barrel and then recheck. Simply put, any barrel that’s out of spec really should be returned if at all possible.
    If you decide to purchase some gauges, which I do believe in, make sure you use them correctly or they are useless. If checking a barrel before installing, pull the intended bolt and strip it before test fitting with the gauges, out of the carrier. If checking the barrel already in a receiver, strip the bolt, put it back in the carrier and shove it into the receiver to check for lockup. You won’t be able to feel the slight drag you would when using the bolt alone but should still be able to judge whether passing or not by the back of the carrier after bolt lockup.
    Also of note, Colt will pass it’s rifles with a slightly out of spec deep chamber and require a different no go gauge that is slightly longer, but I don’t recommend shooting any AR15 with a chamber too deep for a standard no go gauge, as you’ll wind up with ruptured cases and problems down the road.

That's good to know. I don't really "build" them, and I have 3. It's easier just to buy the upper assembled. Even though I have some, they are not really my thing.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    It's a screw extractor from Speed Out. There are better kits available, but for the price, these work well.

858867004026.jpg

You're right, these are great, handy tools for the price! I now own two sets...I sheared the extractor end off of the #2 in my first set trying to repair the drive on an older self-propelled Toro mower. I ended up re-purposing the Toro as a self-push mower.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You're right, these are great, handy tools for the price! I now own two sets...I sheared the extractor end off of the #2 in my first set trying to repair the drive on an older self-propelled Toro mower. I ended up re-purposing the Toro as a self-push mower.

If you sheared the extractor off the bit, I would be looking for a replacement. They are handy in the right application, but there are better sets out there.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    If you sheared the extractor off the bit, I would be looking for a replacement. They are handy in the right application, but there are better sets out there.

Immediate need of #2 on an important fix-it and the set's convenient availability at Lowes prompted the second acquisition. Would you please give me your recommendation for an upgrade and a source? I don't need the VERY best but something in the same range sizes that would work on harder seized screws. Thanks for your feedback.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Immediate need of #2 on an important fix-it and the set's convenient availability at Lowes prompted the second acquisition. Would you please give me your recommendation for an upgrade and a source? I don't need the VERY best but something in the same range sizes that would work on harder seized screws. Thanks for your feedback.

Surprisingly, Irwin makes sets that designed better and relatively inexpensive.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Try Chapman bits, they are the best bits I have found. Pricey, and only for hand use, no power tools suggested.

The 1/16 bit fits those magpul set screws perfectly. Holds them well enough to use a small wire brush to get the loctite off.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Only problem with the easy outs or back outs is they aren’t the end all/do all. Sometimes the fastener is cranked in there and you can’t get the amount of torque you need to remove it, at which point you need to drill the fastener remnants and retap to clean the threads. It does take a little more precision than one would think.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?163317-How-the-H-E-double-L-!!&highlight=

Ya mean a former coworker that used red locktite on his scope rings? He couldn't understand why he couldn't get the screws out. He also used it between the rings & scope.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Only problem with the easy outs or back outs is they aren’t the end all/do all. Sometimes the fastener is cranked in there and you can’t get the amount of torque you need to remove it, at which point you need to drill the fastener remnants and retap to clean the threads. It does take a little more precision than one would think.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?163317-How-the-H-E-double-L-!!&highlight=

It’s worth pointing out the bit and drill motor you use the drill something out shouldn’t have a lot of run-out. An other words if some monkey put too much pressure using them before and bent the bit or the shaft of the drill motor you will make a cluster. It’s nothing like shattering a bit or trashing what you’re working on. Two takeaways buy good bits and don’t abuse, or allow others to abuse your tools.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom