Sorry, AR-15's are not like LEGO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The small #5-40 x 5 1/16" set screw that Magpul supplies with their MOE trigger guard should not have thread locker on it, but like all things Magpul, they glob that stuff on the screw. Half way into the trigger guard, it began to bind. Using my quality Wiha bits and hex keys didn't matter. The tiny 1/16" hex head stripped out. Used a #1 Speedout bit to remove it and replace with a new #5-40 x 5/16" set screw without threadlocker since the trigger guard is polymer. I have a pack of button head screws on the way to replace these junk set screws. So for anyone that thinks AR's are like snapping LEGO bricks together, you haven't put enough rifles together to encounter this BS.

49740511237_0ddd7d4ffe_z.jpg

49740337101_8061ce66a1_z.jpg

49740663392_d9df41b8d3_z.jpg

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I disagree. They are totally like Lego's when you step barefoot on the bolt catch you just dropped!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well I have to disagree. Some times LEGOs come a little rough on the finishings, and if forced together, they can be damaged. But like LEGOs if you have all the right pieces assembly can be child’s-play compared to many other platforms.

Anyone been around them long enough and you’ve seen some abominations. But I believe that’s a symptom of them being easily assembled that even monkeys are confident (overly confident) wrenching on them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well I have to disagree. Some times LEGOs come a little rough on the finishings, and if forced together, they can be damaged. But like LEGOs if you have all the right pieces assembly can be child’s-play compared to many other platforms.

Anyone been around them long enough and you’ve seen some abominations. But I believe that’s a symptom of them being easily assembled that even monkeys are confident (overly confident) wrenching on them.

I’ve seen what monkeys have assembled. They don’t last. Most AR owners don’t even know what headspace is, let alone checking it.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I’ve seen what monkeys have assembled. They don’t last. Most AR owners don’t even know what headspace is, let alone checking it.

I have wondered about headspace on an a AR occasionally. Isn't it machined into the barrel? Either it's a go or no go, no adjustment?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have wondered about headspace on an a AR occasionally. Isn't it machined into the barrel? Either it's a go or no go, no adjustment?

I bought a set of gauges years ago and have yet to find one ‘no go’ upper assembly, barrel or build. I’m not saying it’s a waste of time to check, it does offer peace of mind. Even if you’re simply changing BCG’s or even just the bolt. And I’m apt to swap a BCG any time I run into an issue at the range. It’s usually one of the first things shooters do to diagnose FTF.
    I’m guessing the standards that 5.56 AR 15 parts manufacturers generally stick to creates an environment for less problems in the headspace department. However, I have found more than one AR10 based upper to be a no go and wound up sending one of mine back because it had a shallow chamber and was chrome lined so useless to me at that point. A short chamber needs a reaming and a deep chamber you need to remove the extension and take some material off the shoulder of the barrel and then recheck. Simply put, any barrel that’s out of spec really should be returned if at all possible.
    If you decide to purchase some gauges, which I do believe in, make sure you use them correctly or they are useless. If checking a barrel before installing, pull the intended bolt and strip it before test fitting with the gauges, out of the carrier. If checking the barrel already in a receiver, strip the bolt, put it back in the carrier and shove it into the receiver to check for lockup. You won’t be able to feel the slight drag you would when using the bolt alone but should still be able to judge whether passing or not by the back of the carrier after bolt lockup.
    Also of note, Colt will pass it’s rifles with a slightly out of spec deep chamber and require a different no go gauge that is slightly longer, but I don’t recommend shooting any AR15 with a chamber too deep for a standard no go gauge, as you’ll wind up with ruptured cases and problems down the road.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Yes, headspace is set by the barrel manufacturer when the chamber is reamed. I have multiple examples of bad headspace. Unfortunately, too much or too little headspace can be masked by an out of spec bolt.

.223 and 5.56 have different headspace, which is why it’s unwise to shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel. However, .223 Wylde is more like a modified 5.56 chamber and does allow for 5.56 to be fired.

I bought a set of gauges years ago and have yet to find one ‘no good upper assembly, barrel or build. I’m not saying it’s a waste of time to check, it does offer peace of mind. I’m guessing the standards that 5.56 AR 15 parts manufacturers generally stick to creates an environment for less problems in the headspace department. However, I have found more than one AR10 based upper to be a no go and wound up sending one of mine back because it had a shallow chamber and was chrome lined so useless to me.
    Also of note, Colt will pass it’s rifles with a slightly out of spec deep chamber and require a different no go gauge that is slightly longer, but I don’t recommend shooting any AR15 with a chamber too deep for a standard no go gauge, as you’ll wind up with ruptured cases and problems down the road.

Colt has a different Go Gauge spec and only one manufacturer currently makes one available to the public.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well anyway, the end of this short video explains the colt NO GO gauge phenomenon I explained previously.
    It actually is a maximum headspace gauge.

https://youtu.be/pcVh-XBOLKg

Don't try to correct someone and put out the wrong info...

1.4636 = .223 Spec Go Gauge
    1.4646 = Colt 5.56 Spec Go Gauge
    1.4666 = .223 Spec No Go Gauge
    1.4696 = .223 Spec Field Gauge
    1.4706 = 5.56 Spec No Go Gauge
    1.4736 = Maximum Gauge a.k.a. Field Gauge

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Let's say you have a .223 Remington chambered barrel. If you insert the .223 Spec Go Gauge and the bolt doesn't close, you have too little headspace and need to have the chamber reamed. Too little headspace can cause the case to stick out and possibly rupture when fired due to an unsupported case. This is unsafe but can be fixed. If you insert the Go and it closes, that's good, it has the minimum headspace. If you insert a No Go Gauge and it closes, it's not necessarily bad, it just means you have excessive headspace and the chamber is not as tight as it could be. If you insert a Field Gauge (Maximum) and the bolt closes, then you have extremely excessive headspace and it is unsafe to fire.

Don't try to correct someone and put out the wrong info...

1.4636 = .223 Spec Go Gauge
    1.4646 = Colt 5.56 Spec Go Gauge
    1.4666 = .223 Spec No Go Gauge
    1.4696 = .223 Spec Field Gauge
    1.4706 = 5.56 Spec No Go Gauge
    1.4736 = Maximum Gauge a.k.a. Field Gauge

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0