Getting into night vision game

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    Curious on anyone with experience's input on choice of helmet mounted monocular? Best option for under 1k,2k, and so forth. Trying to see if higher price tag justifies the gen 1-3 ranges. Thanks for y'all's input in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    Any places local to us to check it out? Also any good trustworthy sources for second hand?

pnn9806

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Metairie
    Good lord, there's quite a few different types of pvs14s from I can see online. Varrying from 2,500 up to 3,xxx. Does anyone know of local dealers that sell night vision equipment?

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    +1 for TNVC, they were my choice when I waded into a NOD world.
    I don’t know of any local sources. And yes, the higher gen versions are definitely worth the extra coin.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Tnvc

- - - Updated - - -

Good lord, there's quite a few different types of pvs14s from I can see online. Varrying from 2,500 up to 3,xxx. Does anyone know of local dealers that sell night vision equipment?

Yes, they will vary greatly in price.
    Generally, the better the tube the higher the price.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    And a tip for you.
    There are a lot of used military issued models on the market as well.
    They’re usually a lot less expensive than new ones.
    Caveat is, a good many of them are... ahem.... stolen.
    If you buy used be aware that if anything happens to them and they need repairs you’ll need to send them to the manufacturer.
    They will definitely know if they’re military and you will never see them again.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    It depends on what your purpose is for the equipment. Observation, hunting, or other. If hunting I use a thermal handheld mono to spot game and use a thermal scope to shoot with. I have an older gen 2 night vision scope and it is pretty good but HEAVY. Night vision will not let you see in the shadows without an IR. You can walk around in the dark with it which is pretty cool. I would love to have a pair of NV goggles on a helmet. $$$$

If you want to try out some equipment there a company that offers rentals of what you seek. It is expensive but nothing "good" in the NG game is. Here is the link to a company that some friends have used before they laid down the big money. https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Rentals-s/1820.htm

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Thermal is fantastic for hunting.
    If you want to do something like drive at night, thermal will simply reflect your own image back to you from your windshield.
    ATN makes some very affordable thermal/nv scopes if that’s what you need.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't play with NVG's or have the desire to, but speaking with people who know better than me, I've learned that:

PVS-14 dual tubes are heavy.
    White phos is mo betta, but mo expensive too.
    Buying a monocular to helmet mount is dumb, because you will never find a perfect matching tube if you want duals later.

FWIW, if you want to do it right, contact a company like TNVC.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just watched their videos, good lord there's a lot of options and decisions.

It’s not just as simple as wanting NVG’s and picking a tube type.

The TNVC YouTube channel is a wealth of information. Chuck Pressburg of Presscheck Consulting also has a ton of information on night vision.

rcourv7

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 24, 2019
    Baton Rouge
    If you can handle a <16millisecond screen lag take a look into Sionyx. They're working on a unit for '21 with zero lag. But in conclusion it is a full color night vision camera/recorder that can also run as a monocular or doubled up as binos. If you're original I'd go into a PVS14 unit.

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    pvs 14 thin filmed green is a great way to get into the nightvision game. BUT!! if you can afford it or think you will in the near future want duals, then go straight for duals and skip the pvs 14. Youll be glad you did and save money in the long run. There is so much more you can do with duals than with a single. I can launch my boat and leave the dock in complete darkness while everyone else is waiting for light to break. Its definitely worth the extra coin. If you have any questions hit me up.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Come see me. I will do my best to guide you to the light in the darkness....on the westbank. Creepy, right?

But seriously...no ******** if you want to see some good examples of nvgs and thermals I have access to some units. Personally own a PVS 14 now.

Some pics, but are no fair reflection unless you see them in the flesh:

Pvs 14 green phos

8ODWxdM.jpg

N7Fa4rF.jpg

W2rNTFY.jpg

BzlSNx8.jpg

My buddies DTNVGs that I recently ordered for him...2200 plus FOM rating.. these were crazy clear...pics are a insult to these in person:

mvZ8IQw.jpg

8Z59xWe.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom