Building my own range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcmaguire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Zachary
    Anybody know of any ERB parish rules about having/building your own outdoor range. Is there a requirement for berm height, distance from roads etc?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I really can't answer your question but EBR has a tough Parish Ordinance if they want to use it.

I have 55 acres and by that I couldn't shoot a pistol or rifle on my property.

Sec. 13:93. - Discharge of firearms.
    (a)Shooting of firearms within the city. It shall be unlawful to shoot or discharge a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or other firearm within the city except in a regularly established rifle or pistol range built and operated under the proper safety precautions. The prohibition of this section shall not apply to members of the federal, state or municipal government authorized to carry such firearms, when acting within the scope of their authority.

(b)Discharge of firearms in the parish; definitions; exceptions.(1)The discharge of any type pistol or rifle for any purpose by any person within one-half mile of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.(2)The discharge of other types of firearms, including shotguns of any description which may be used for the explosion of cartridges or air gun, BB gun, gas-operated gun or spring gun, for any purpose by any person within five hundred (500) feet of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.(3)The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed so as to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in the defense of his person, family or property.
    (Ord. No. 7421, § 1, 1-25-84)

usmcmaguire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Zachary
    Thanks Charlie 12. I do shoot on a regular basis as do most of my neighbors. Never had anyone show up to put a stop to it. Just thought I would make some improvements and maybe allow others to shoot. I know what it's like to not have a place to shoot. Wanted to maybe help some folks out.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I understand and we still shoot at my place and the neighbors shoot too but there is that crazy law they could use if they wanted to. Good luck with yours

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    All it takes is one ******* neighbor . And they don't even have to live close by .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I regularly shoot in lower EBR. A friend of mine dug some dirt and made some make shift berms, but that was to protect the trees beyond target stands. My land! Did not ask for permission!!!!! ;)

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Here is what I did a couple years ago: image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgIMG_0038.jpg

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Dr481 awesome setup you have there. Gives me q bit of inspiration. I just dumped a load of clay hadnt even considered the timber wall. I like it.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    We set 8 creosote poles, about 70 crossties and added 50 yards of dirt. Right at 8 feet tall and about 32 feet wide. Crossties are bolted to the poles and pinned with rebar to each other.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    How do y’all dispose of all the lead contaminated dirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It can be expensive to demine and dispose of the contaminated dirt like the contractor has to do at the old State Police range on Buddy Ellis road South of Walker where he plans to build the largest subdivision in Livingston Parish. It had two lines in the front and one in the back and vehicles including a bus in order to practice their skills including using bombs. The ponds are probably contaminated as well.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It can be expensive to demine and dispose of the contaminated dirt like the contractor has to do at the old State Police range on Buddy Ellis road South of Walker where he plans to build the largest subdivision in Livingston Parish. It had two lines in the front and one in the back and vehicles including a bus in order to practice their skills including using bombs. The ponds are probably contaminated as well.

I remember when they used it for the bombing range. That was a while ago lol

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Some of my neighbors shoot at their house and we are just down the road from EBR sheriff‘s house. I just wish they would get a suppressor!!
    I’m tempted to complain due to the noise but why start an issue.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I remember when they used it for the bombing range. That was a while ago lol

I was told a Former Marine from Florida was the Bomb Man. They would rattle my house when some of the larger explosives went off.

Top Bottom