PSA: Auto Insurance during COVID19 - Read to save $$$

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are driving significantly less, it may be beneficial to reach out to your auto-insurance company and ask that they take some money off of your premium.

I looked into it with Progressive and it looks like they'll be taking 20% off of my April and May insurance policies.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    USAA sent out a notice that they’re doing the same across the board on all vehicle insurance policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USAA is my favorite insurance company.

Email From USAA said:
    We know the COVID‐19 pandemic is having a financial impact, and we're taking action to ease the burden. Every member with an auto insurance policy in effect as of March 31, 2020, will receive a 20% credit on two months of premiums in the coming weeks. All told, we're returning about $520 million.

We're able to pass on those savings because your efforts to stay home during the pandemic have meant fewer drivers on the road, which means fewer accidents and claims.

You will receive a credit applied to your bill. There is no need to call or take any action.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Who'd you switch from/to?

Progressive & Geico. I've switched multiple times between the two, as well as other major companies.

Progressive originally offered me more coverage at the same rate as Geico, so I switched. Progressive rates increased over the years, so I got a quote for the same coverage from Geico and it was half the rate of Progressive.

It doesn't matter what company you go through, if you want to save money you will have to switch often.

FWIW, I'm now paying less than $200/mo for two vehicles with plenty coverage.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Progressive & Geico. I've switched multiple times between the two, as well as other major companies.

Progressive originally offered me more coverage at the same rate as Geico, so I switched. Progressive rates increased over the years, so I got a quote for the same coverage from Geico and it was half the rate of Progressive.

It doesn't matter what company you go through, if you want to save money you will have to switch often.

FWIW, I'm now paying less than $200/mo for two vehicles with plenty coverage.

Mostly true. I’ve never found anyone that could compete with my USAA insurance rate. It’s def worth checking out for those that qualify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Mostly true. I’ve never found anyone that could compete with my USAA insurance rate. It’s def worth checking out for those that qualify

I found that USAA wasn't able to beat Geico, and then I switched over to Progressive and they were much better than both.

I'll have to revisit USAA soon and see what they can do.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Last time I checked into USAA, it was in the same ballpark as State Farm and Liberty Mutual. Geico was cheaper at the time.

I got my newest quote, paid for the new policy, and cancelled my old policy in maybe 30 minutes from my phone while sitting on the couch.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It wasn’t able to beat for me until I added my homeowners and bank account.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Although I’m about to start shopping around now that my sons driving. I about puked when I got a quote for adding him lol

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Has USAA a while back, then went to State Farm.
    Have been happy with them for over 20 years.
    Not the cheapest but the service is first rate.
    YMMV.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Has USAA a while back, then went to State Farm.
    Have been happy with them for over 20 years.
    Not the cheapest but the service is first rate.
    YMMV.

I had my house and 2 vehicles with State Farm for more than 50 years until I learned they were grossly overcharging me for flood insurance. I checked prices everywhere and went with Safeco which saved me hundreds on my flood insurance using the same underwriter State Farm used. The bad part is I dropped my flood insurance one year before the flood which put me out of pocket $130,000. I have to have flood insurance now.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had my house and 2 vehicles with State Farm for more than 50 years until I learned they were grossly overcharging me for flood insurance. I checked prices everywhere and went with Safeco which saved me hundreds on my flood insurance using the same underwriter State Farm used. The bad part is I dropped my flood insurance one year before the flood which put me out of pocket $130,000. I have to have flood insurance now.

Flood rates are set by FEMA. Your agent may have screwed up doing your app, or the zone may have changed and they didn't catch it, but that's not State Farm's fault.

Insurance is all about price until you need them. Then service and claims service becomes important. You just killed a pedestrian crossing a street, or rearended a family of 4 that is speed dialing their attorney at the scene... do you care that you saved $30 a month? Stop worrying about premium! Do you shoot a hi point? It's cheaper. Maybe not the best but it's cheap! Do you drive a kia rio? It's cheap! Nope... think about it and go find the company that gives you the best service day to day, because that's who is going to take care of you when things go wrong...

Do you have your agent's cell #? Or do you have an 800#? Can you call him right now? My clients can, and have, reached me 24/7/365. Think about it.

Top Bottom