Any action pistol comps in New Orleans metro area???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As of right now all shooting competition are shut down.

The only one that might be still a go is the last of the 3 indoor GSSF matches at Jefferson Indoor shooting range which is this Sunday the 19th.
    I haven't heard anything about it being postponed.

If you were to shoot the match since it's the last of 3, you would not be eligible for door prizes or for the random drawing for a glock and other prizes..

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Sign up on practiscore.com. It will have all the local matches around your area. This would be the place to sign up for a match and get your score. As of right now most all matches are cancelled until further notice.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    I would start with steel challenge/outlaw steel matches. Those are the entry level into most common matches (IDPA/USPSA). There is no movement and minimal ways to get DQed. Basically stand in the box and shoot five plates. You do it 5 times per stage and best 4 times score. You can also do the steel with rimfire rifles and pistols. That's the cheap way to get started until you figure out what division you want to shoot.

Getting into competition shooting is very intimidating. Especially when you show up and see all the jersey guys and expensive guns. But I will say all guys around this area are the best guys around. Let them know you are new and they will help you with anything you need. I started just two years ago and I've made some of the best friends in my life at matches.

Inkyy70053

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Gretna, Louisiana
    What are the distances of the plates, I shoot a Glock 19 G5 and Glock 34, are there any steel plate matches held in the New Orleans Metro area? Btw thanks for the help .

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    The distance varies. In steel challenge there are only 8 stages that always stay the same. You can see them here..

https://scsa.org/stages

In outlaw steel the stages are different every time. But usually there are no plates further than 20 yards.

A glock 19 or 34 would be just fine. All you will need is a good holster and extra mags (I would recommend 5) and you are good to go.

I believe there is a Friday night plate match at St. Bernard shooting center. There is a outlaw steel match at Tangi in Amite once a month. There is a Steel challenge match at Palo alto in Donaldsonville once a month.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Steel Challenge consist of 8 stages, steel targets range from 7yds to 35yds. Most are within 10yds to 20yds.
    At Pala Alto in Donaldsonville on the second Sunday of each month, weather permitting.
    Check out https://scsa.org/ for more info.
    In Amite they hold an Outlaw Steel Match on the 2nd Sunday of the month. Outlaw match consist of 6 stage. 3 are Steel Challange stages and the other 3 are outlaw steel (setup any way the RO's want to)

GSSF Indoor League (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation)
    Rule book - http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/GSSF_Current_Rules.pdf

The GSSF League Match is a series of three matches conducted over a 3-month period. Participants must be current GSSF members and compete in two of the three matches to qualify for plaques and prizes. If you are not currently a member, you may join on-line at this web-site or upon registration at a GSSF League Match. An annual GSSF membership costs only $35.00 for new members and $25.00 for renewing members and allows you to compete in any GSSF match. Competitors may shoot ANY GLOCK pistol.

The Lewis Prize Allocation system is used to distribute awards as equitably as possible. Each separate pistol used during the match will be a separate entry. Your two best scores of each entry during the series will be totaled and averaged at the end of the 3-match series. If a shooter competes in only two matches, his/her scores for each entry are totaled and divided by two. If a shooter competes in all three matches, his/her best two scores for each entry are totaled and divided by 2.
    The result is one final score for each entry, which is then listed in the overall order in which he/she finished. The overall list is then divided into thirds, with the top one-third considered "A Class," the second one-third is "B Class," and the final one-third is "C Class." Plaques are awarded to the top competitor of each class. Unlimited Class is available for non-stock GLOCK Pistols
    All Scoring disputes will be determined by the host range.

Indoor League - There are a couple different courses of fire but 99% will run Option A course of fire. This is the course of fire we run at
    Jefferson Gun Outlet in Metairie
    Bayou Dragon in Marrero, LA.
    FRC in Baton Rouge.

Option A course of fire. (Stock, Rimfire & Unlimited)
    10 rounds 15 feet (5 yards) 15 seconds
    10 rounds 21 feet (7 Yards) OR 25 feet 15 seconds
    CHANGE TARGETS NOW
    10 rounds 30 feet (10 yards) 15 seconds
    10 rounds 45 feet (15 yards) OR 50 feet 15 seconds
    10 rounds 75 feet (25 yards) 15 seconds

Course of fire for POCKET Division (G42 & G43 - ONLY)
    5 rounds 9 feet (3 yards) 15 seconds
    5 rounds 15 feet (5 yards) 15 seconds
    CHANGE TARGETS NOW
    5 rounds 21 feet (7 yards) OR 25 feet 15 seconds
    5 rounds 30 feet (10 yards) 15 seconds
    5 rounds 45 feet (15 yards) OR 50 feet 15 seconds

There are 4 different division you can shoot at an Indoor GSSF Match -
    Stock (no modification to gun (Grip tape, Different sights are allowed))
    Unlimited (Gnn can have aftermarket Parts) and
    Rimfire (G44 -Only)
    Pocket (G42 & G43 - Only)
    You will only need 50 round for each division you shoot except for Pocket that will be 25rds.

Bayou Dragon runs a GSSF Match year round. Right now they are shut down for there matches.
    Jefferson Gun Outlet runs one GSSF match a year. I believe are still doing there's only because this is the last of the 3. There have been talks of doing a second GSSF Match at Jefferson Gun Outlet but has not been confirmed.
    FRC runs one match a year. As of right now they are not scheduled to hold there match this year yet but paperwork has been submitted to GSSF.

Last edited:

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Brian , where do you normally shoot? Well, when there is not a global pandemic I mean.

The 1st and 2nd Sunday of the month I'm shooting in Donaldsonville at Pala Alto USPSA and Steel Challenge
    The 3rd Sunday of the month I'm in Gonzales shooting USPSA
    4th and if there is a 5th Sunday in a month I'm shooting at Nicks Sghooting in Garyville or up in Amite. This year it's mostly going to be at Nick in Garyville.

Check out Practiscore.com you can also sign up. you will want to follow
    CAS - Cajun Action Shooters --- USPSA - 1st Sunday of the month.
    LSS - Louisiana Speed Shooters --- Steel Challenge - 2nd Sunday of the month.
    EAPS - East Ascension Practical Shooters --- USPSA - 3rd Sundy of the Month
    TANGI - Tangipohoa Practical Shooters --- USPSA - 4th Sunday of the month and 5th if there is one.

Not on Practiscore
    Nick's Shooting Range in Garyville, LA. just past Reserve. Every Sunday. Hammer down at 8:30
    At Nick's there is no running around, you will have up to 5 different course of fire and will only need 60 rounds and bring at least 4 mags.

Just give Mr. Nick a call and he can give you alot more info on his matches.
    5192 W Airline Hwy
    Garyville, Louisiana 70051

(985) 535-8161

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks Bryan B. for taking the time to get out all this information. We hope to be shooting next month. I asked one of the PA Board members if we could hold matches once they open things up. The response was they would talk about it but he didn’t see why not. At least he was open to the thought. I really feel like we should be back in business next month weather permitting.

Bryan

Inkyy70053

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Gretna, Louisiana
    Hey Bryanbag it was great to meet you today at GSSF. Looks like you won everything,lol. When this pandemic is done I’m gonna have to get with you for a few lessons.

Last edited:

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Not a problem. That's great info Mr. B. I sure hope to get back out to Pala Alto, Got a new Steel Challenge gun to play with.

Hey Bryanbag it was great to meet you today at GSSF. Looks like you won everything,lol. When this pandemic is done I’m gonna have to get with you for a few lessons.

Great meeting you to. Yea, I did pretty well,
    Stock division was a toss up, Shot a little below my average in the 2 previous matches. I Just so happen to edge out Mr. Larry by a half a point.
    Pocket, I have been very fortunate in pocket and average a 250 when ever shooting that division.
    Unlimited was a complete surprise. Didn't shoot very well in the first match and the second match I had a DNF. I guess shooting that 500 yesterday pulled me out of the hole to edge out Al by a half a point.

My shooting schedule is posted above, Just come on out and I and I sure a few other shooters that are better than me will be more than willing to help.

Last edited:

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I got my start going to Tangi for outlaw IDPA and a little outlaw steel. Very nice people and eager to bring in noobs. My daughter and wife shot their first matches there as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom