Sherburne was a mess.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I used to go out there quite a bit but quit once they put the those baffles up. I would chuckle at the hunters that would bring a paper plate and 5 rounds with them. No hearing protection, no way to attach their plate to the target holder and didn't understand you couldn't just walk down range when you wanted too. I ended up joining Palo Alto. It is far from Zachary but +/- 2 or 3 miles as far as Sherburne.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sherburne was much cleaner this morning. The road into Sherburne had a good bit of washboarding, so high speed road racing down the dirt roads probably isn't recommended.

Thanks to everyone that uses this range responsibly!

Mike

I went there yesterday Brass hoe that I am,Like 5 guys on the rifle range and 4 on the pistol range,Not bad at all....

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used to go out there quite a bit but quit once they put the those baffles up. I would chuckle at the hunters that would bring a paper plate and 5 rounds with them. No hearing protection, no way to attach their plate to the target holder and didn't understand you couldn't just walk down range when you wanted too. I ended up joining Palo Alto. It is far from Zachary but +/- 2 or 3 miles as far as Sherburne.

Walking down range seems to be an issue. Last Sunday I was shooting away when I noticed a guy had wandered down range. I called "CEASEFIRE" and told him that he needs to make sure the range is cold before walking downrange. He just shrugged.

Can't fix stupid.

Mike

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    My nephew and I went yesterday and brass was every where. I started smelting so I hit a nice jackpot. But I didnt see any brooms there. My next trip I might bring some just to leave.
    bf7e7dcc7fe56d2f1fc83b73ecc17b1f.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    How are the roads and the target stands? Thanks for the intel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I came down Hwy 190 so the northern part of gravel wasnt bad. Fresh grained. Target stands were not horrible. Plywood was still usable.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was at Sherburne today too.

The brooms all seem to have gone missing, so there was brass *everywhere*. It was a brass collectors' dream ... I saw some stuff like .44 mag and 30-30, and when I was cleaning up I found over a dozen unfired .22 rounds.

Target frames were in decent shape. At around 1:30 this afternoon there were four groups in the pistol range ... so it was busy, but not so much so that there were any problems.

All in all, a good day at Sherburne.

Mike

SigGirl66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I go to Sherburne because it’s really the only rifle option, but I don’t like it. The rifle range is so loud. I’ve tried to take my kids before but they can’t handle it. My husband likes the skeet ranges though!

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Went Sunday am. Road from 190 was like a washboard on and off. Not terrible but you must take it easy Or bring a mouthpiece to cut down on teeth chatter.

Grass on ranges was a little above ankle height and feet got wet. I usually wear boots but wore tennis shoes due to oppressive heat.

Pistol range target stand was hanging by a strand as someone shredded it with a shot gun. There were others but I opted to let the guys shoot multiple targets as they were there first. All in all a good day. Everyone was safe and pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Is there any good reason to bring a shotgun onto the pistol range? The only reason I can think of is to pattern a new choke ... and for that, it should only take a shot or two.

Mike
    They have 2 skeet ranges. I see no point in bringing any shot gun to a pistol range. Just me though.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Is there any good reason to bring a shotgun onto the pistol range? The only reason I can think of is to pattern a new choke ... and for that, it should only take a shot or two.

Mike

Most of the time I have seen someone blasting the stands was to simulate a home defense situation / target practice with a hd shotgun ~18.5 bbl. I just think if they shred a stand they should replace or use another means to shoot. But I guess they have the same right to use the range it’s just way more destructive than a rifle or pistol round or many rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Brought my wife Saturday. There was a quite a few folks shooting AK and 11.5 AR-15 *pistols*. Towards the end of their session; one
    Guy retrieved a shotgun out of his Jeep and I overheard them talking about the OObuck. The last time the range was cold, as I was retrieving my targets off the stands, they were ogling at the giant holes blown in the plywood *♂️

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Bump ! Went today,Dropped in off 190 after hitting Kartchners for a couple of links of boudan.....

Tried eating said boudan on the washboard road and ending up stabbing myself in the nose,eye,and ear...Gave that up until I got to the range.

Had like 0 people at the pistol range and about a dozen on the rifle,By the time I left had 1/2 dozen or so shooting pistols.

Washed off a 5 gallon bucket of mud when I returned home....

Top Bottom