Sherburne was a mess.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To anyone here that shot at Sherburne this morning and didn't clean up after themselves:

I went out to Sherburne around lunch time today, to get a bit of healthy social distancing time in at the range.

Guys, the place was a mess. Cartridge casings strewn about from end to end. Ammo boxes tossed on the ground. One of the folding chairs was even turned sideways, and I noticed that had a few bullet holes in the seat back. Woden targets strewn about the range like litter.

It was disgraceful. Whoever did this deserves a few days on a prison chain gang cleaning garbage off the side of the road.

It took me almost a half an hour to get the place looking presentable. Thankfully, the next people that visited weren't greeted by such a mess; I hope they had a better time than I did (and that they, too, cleaned up after themselves).

Being a real sportsman / sportswoman means doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Your mother doesn't work there, and heaven knows that our game wardens have better things to do.

Mike

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Sadly, this is a common occurrence. The past few times I've been there I had to pick up destroyed (not just shot up, but it looked like purposely destroyed with a 12ga) target backers, trash everywhere, and brass all over the range. I go at random times during the week (I work offshore 14/14, so I've got plenty of free time) and 3 out of the last 5 times it's been like that.

I take the brass as my "payment" and clean up the mess, stacking any trash too large for the bins neatly to the side.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It was disgraceful.

This is why I find it amusing when people on this board and other boards get upset when they realize that not everyone agrees with them and it's possibly due to them being the problem and not the solution.

I have met a few people here that fit what you described. They felt at home in the Buffer Zone with all of the filth, shooting washing machines and televisions.

Those people are trash and it absolutely is disgraceful. They are lumped into the same category as us... firearms enthusiasts.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This is why I find it amusing when people on this board and other boards get upset when they realize that not everyone agrees with them and it's possibly due to them being the problem and not the solution.

I have met a few people here that fit what you described. They felt at home in the Buffer Zone with all of the filth, shooting washing machines and televisions.

Those people are trash and it absolutely is disgraceful. They are lumped into the same category as us... firearms enthusiasts.

Hey Bruh, Those old tube TV's were a blast to shoot,It's like shooting a 1/2lb of tannerite !

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

I agree. Allot of the average modern outdoor enthusiasts trash the water and woods they play in. They suck and are white trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for allowing me to vent, guys. I was really upset about it this afternoon; I'd hate for a first time shooter to go out there and get the impression that "gun people" are slobs.

The majority of the people I've met at Sherburne have been good people that I've been happy to share the range with. It's a small minority that ruin it for the rest of us.

That said, I think it's great that there are others that set a good example by cleaning up the range. I typically bring my own broom for picking up my brass, and sometimes I get funny looks for doing that ... but leaving my workspace cleaner than I found it is something I was taught when I worked for an old school bricklayer decades ago. It's an old habit, but one that has served me well.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Trash comes in all colors. It stinks no less.

I find it surprising that so-called "outdoorsmen" (and I'm sure more than a few are women) can have such little regard for the environment.

Mike

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Some are black trash, too.

Hang on now, The majority I've seen out blowing up the legs on targets or shooting the plywood in half has been.......White boys,In their early 20's

Driving daddy's truck with his buds inside,Typical white trash unsupervised loose cannons from......The big city....hahaha....

Seen 3 from New York down here on the skeet range with an AR-15 trying too shoot skeet...Game Warden busted that crap up in a hurry!!!

Yall remember the dead Killdeer story from Sherburne?

How about the 5 middle eastern gents at Sherburne?

Some of those young $hit-heads out there blowing up stuff may have just came from some of yall's loins?

redfish77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2020
    New Orleans, LA
    There is a special circle in hell waiting for people who litter in the outdoors, whether it is the park, the shooting range, the woods, or the marsh! Public flogging would be just.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hang on now, The majority I've seen out blowing up the legs on targets or shooting the plywood in half has been.......White boys,In their early 20's

I hate to agree with the stereotypes (and I stand by my assertion that trash comes in all colors), but there's a grain of truth to this.

I have nothing against rednecks ... I grew up in the country with a lot of folks that had very little formal education, but a tremendous amount of wisdom about the world and how to navigate it. But this is something differently entirely; a willful ignorance, mixed with a healthy dose of belligerence.

I don't know what the solution is, but I know that it can sure ruin an otherwise fun afternoon at the range.

Mike

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Some are black trash, too.

Yeah but most anglers and hunters are white. And if I was too be honest most black anglers I see are quiet and just sit there with their jigging pole minding there own business.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sherburne was much cleaner this morning. The road into Sherburne had a good bit of washboarding, so high speed road racing down the dirt roads probably isn't recommended.

Thanks to everyone that uses this range responsibly!

Mike

Top Bottom