First suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    So I'm considering my first suppressor purchase. Currently, it's main host would be a Stribog in 9mm, although I would also like to be able to use it on my G19 OR my 14.5" AR in 5.56 (one or the other, not both). From the little research I've done, it seems I can't get one for all three and have it be practical on them all. The Omega 36 seems to fit the bill for all 3 but I'm not looking to drop $1k right now on a suppressor, I'd like to stay around $800 or less including stamp.
    So far, the ones that stand out to me are the omega 9k, obsidian 9, and the liberty centurion.
    Should I consider a 45 can instead of a 9? I do not own anything larger than a 9mm currently but having that option is appealing. Is there any real disadvantages to using a 45 can for 9mm?
    What are the advantages of setting up a trust these days and is it worth it?
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages to ordering online from somewhere like silencershop.com?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    So I'm considering my first suppressor purchase. Currently, it's main host would be a Stribog in 9mm, although I would also like to be able to use it on my G19 OR my 14.5" AR in 5.56 (one or the other, not both). From the little research I've done, it seems I can't get one for all three and have it be practical on them all. The Omega 36 seems to fit the bill for all 3 but I'm not looking to drop $1k right now on a suppressor, I'd like to stay around $800 or less including stamp.
    So far, the ones that stand out to me are the omega 9k, obsidian 9, and the liberty centurion.
    Should I consider a 45 can instead of a 9? I do not own anything larger than a 9mm currently but having that option is appealing. Is there any real disadvantages to using a 45 can for 9mm?
    What are the advantages of setting up a trust these days and is it worth it?
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages to ordering online from somewhere like silencershop.com?

Maybe check out the Silencerco Hybrid.
    And yes, get it .45 compatible. White box .45 ammo is subsonic and quiet out of a can.

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Maybe check out the Silencerco Hybrid.
    And yes, get it .45 capable. White box .45 ammo is subsonic and quiet out of a can.

Definitely get a .45 can.
    One of the mistakes I made with my first can was getting a 9mm version.
    Would have saved time and money in the long run.

Jgarris11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Don’t run 223 through a 45 pistol can though. Give Kenny a call at Meplat a call. He does trust and everything on the spot and makes it quick and easy. You will have to make an appointment. https://www.meplatgroup.com/

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Don’t run 223 through a 45 pistol can though. Give Kenny a call at Meplat a call. He does trust and everything on the spot and makes it quick and easy. You will have to make an appointment. https://www.meplatgroup.com/

Ok I’ll bite.
    If the can is rated for .45 and .223, why should you not run .223 thru it?

That’s the problem. There is lots of misinformation out there on forums. Fake news, Unfortunately the ones that are most vocal are the ones that are ill informed.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dead Air seems to be on top these days.

If you only shoot 9mm, get a 9mm can like the Wolf 9SD or Omega 9K.

If you ever plan to shoot other pistol calibers, look into a 45 can like the Ghost-M.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Dead Air seems to be on top these days.

If you only shoot 9mm, get a 9mm can like the Wolf 9SD or Omega 9K.

If you ever plan to shoot other pistol calibers, look into a 45 can like the Ghost-M.

The .22 mask they have is the best rimfire can on the market. No first round pop

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you don't have a .45, there's all kinds of 9mm can's available. I would just look for one with an available 3 lug adaptor, so you can run it on your PCC's without the suppressor backing off.

And you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good can. My old Ti-rants sound better than my newer octaneHD and my osprey. And It's not unusual to find a cheap tirant on sale (300-400, was 900 back in the day when I bought them). But I recently ordered an octane .45 for 300 bucks. I already put in an order for the 3 lug adaptor for it, And I'll make it my dedicated can to run on my full auto mac 10.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you want a great pistol caliber can on a budget Silencerco re-released the Octane 45 at a lower price, street price is under $500. I put 15k rounds of 9mm full auto through an original Octane 45 HD.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wouldn't buy dick from Dead Air Silencers,They claim they are retooling or sourcing out the adaptor pistons.

But haven't had diddle squat in stock since January,I think they are about to go under?

I was told that they were finding a new shop to supply muzzle devices since one of the shops they were using was doing shoddy work. If that's the only issue, there are licensed quality aftermarket mounts.

You can buy dick somewhere else if you don't like Dead Air :ghey:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    If you want a great pistol caliber can on a budget Silencerco re-released the Octane 45 at a lower price, street price is under $500. I put 15k rounds of 9mm full auto through an original Octane 45 HD.

Dayum. Thats more than I got through mine! Hows it holding up? Any erosion or wear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom