Optic for Grendel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have most of the parts for a Grendel build either on the table or in transit. The only piece I haven't bought into yet is the optic. What is everyone running on their Grendel and how happy are you with it?
    The furthest I can shoot right now is 300, but would like to be able to go to 500 at some point in the future. For the record, my eyes are getting old,..... along with the rest of me.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Sightmark Wraith for piggies at night. It's not bad for the money, within it's limitations.

What barrel are you going to use? I have a complete Bear Creek upper, it runs great but not the happiest with accuracy and weight of the 20" stainless pipe. Got a Faxon 16" barrel being delivered today

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    There are more expensive options out there, but I went with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 on my Grendal build. It’s been great. The extra magnification makes the 300yd shots easy and solid at 400-500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I use a Sigthtron STAC 4-20x50. Like stated, there are more expensive options. Mine is just on a BCA upper. Depends on the build and barrel length, type, etc.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Sightmark Wraith for piggies at night. It's not bad for the money, within it's limitations.

What barrel are you going to use? I have a complete Bear Creek upper, it runs great but not the happiest with accuracy and weight of the 20" stainless pipe. Got a Faxon 16" barrel being delivered today

Thanks for the reply. Ballistic Advantage/Aero upper

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There are more expensive options out there, but I went with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 on my Grendal build. It’s been great. The extra magnification makes the 300yd shots easy and solid at 400-500.

Great scope. I have one of those and it finds itself on whatever my primary hunting gun is. It’s been on the Grendel though and served me well.

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Finally got the Grendel together and out for its first shoot. Thanks to everyone for the Vortex Viper recommendation. I got the 6.5-20x. Without bore sighting, the first shot at 50 yards was 1.5" above the x. The next two, without adjustments to the scope, blew out the X. Never had a rifle do that on first shot without at least bore sighting.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Finally got the Grendel together and out for its first shoot. Thanks to everyone for the Vortex Viper recommendation. I got the 6.5-20x. Without bore sighting, the first shot at 50 yards was 1.5" above the x. The next two, without adjustments to the scope, blew out the X. Never had a rifle do that on first shot without at least bore sighting.

Awesome

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Good deal and good choice on the scope. I was gonna suggest Athlon, but you can’t go wrong with Vortex.

I’ve mounted a lot of dots and scopes on AR flat top uppers and have run into that phenomenon quite a few times. I’ve had a few to be dead on at 50 yards first shot.
    I usually mount The dot or optic, secure the gutted upper in the sled and eyeball bore sight at a big multi ring target at 50 yards then start shooting and zero at 100. Many times they’re already on the mark when I peer down the bore.

Last edited:

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Not sure what your budget is, but I have a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50mm that's ultra clear. PM me if you are interested. I'm going to list it on here too probably today.

Top Bottom