What do you look for in a classified ad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When you go into a classified ad, what do you look for? Do you look for specifics? Good quality photos? Accurate descriptions?

Lately, I have had multiple members ignore what was posted in the sales thread. If you PM'd me and I didn't respond, go back and read the thread.

Why do so many people refuse to send private messages?
    They are a great resource on forums and can be stored as record of transaction.

If sellers are required to post their location, why do people expect sellers to leave their location for a sale?
    If someone states they are in Baton Rouge, I expect to go to BR to buy the item.

The last thing that I find odd is if a buyer is interested in something, why do they send a message stating that they are interested? If you have a question, ask it. Simply stating you're interested does not mean you get first dibs. Telling someone you will buy it gets you dibs.

Asking $XXX for the entire package for a FTF in NOLA area.

Also accepting best offers cause I want this gun sold.

When I read this, the seller has a distinct asking price and would like the meet face to face in the New Orleans area. It would be reasonable to believe that a potential buyer will have to meet him in the New Orleans area. He also states that he's willing to accept the best offer, because he wants to sell the firearm. It would be reasonable to believe that a potential buyer can offer him a price.

Looking for $XXX. I live in the NOLA area but am willing to travel for a sale.

This seller is the opposite. He states a firm price, so it would be reasonable to believe he may not accept a lower offer. It's up to a potential buyer to decide if they would like to make an offer or not, but generally a firm price means they are not willing to budge. However, he states that he is willing to travel, so it would be reasonable to believe that a potential buyer does not have to meet in the New Orleans area.

People list these things to help buyers. They don't list them for fun.

If someone says that they are not interested in your Hi-Point, not interested in driving 200 miles to meet, or not interested in calling you, then respect their wishes.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    In my experience, if someone wants to buy/sell the firearm, he/she will drive as far as he/she can to buy/sell the gun. Good quality pictures help. Location and distance willing to travel should be included as well. Also, wiggle room for the price or trade helps as well. Most transactions that I've had in here are very professional with good guys, veterans, LEO, military, professionals, etc. Basically, if someone wants it enough, it'll happen.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Right now the only thing I have up is that S&W M&P 10... Surprised with the Stimulus coming in it's not sold...I appreciate trade offers (don't want to bash him) but the most interesting (out of left field) offer was for bourbon... I just never thought of trading bourbon for a rifle lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It's never been against the rules and I've done it for over a decade (when I have things to sell). I honestly wish more people would do it, so long as it's not obnoxiously large.

I have it going too...but no one wants to send me locks :(

In my experience, if someone wants to buy/sell the firearm, he/she will drive as far as he/she can to buy/sell the gun. Good quality pictures help. Location and distance willing to travel should be included as well. Also, wiggle room for the price or trade helps as well. Most transactions that I've had in here are very professional with good guys, veterans, LEO, military, professionals, etc. Basically, if someone wants it enough, it'll happen.

I think you have the record for most transactions in iTrader, lol!

Right now the only thing I have up is that S&W M&P 10... Surprised with the Stimulus coming in it's not sold...I appreciate trade offers (don't want to bash him) but the most interesting (out of left field) offer was for bourbon... I just never thought of trading bourbon for a rifle lol

Bourbon = Yum
    Good Bourbon = much yum = much $$$

I just don't ever have any unopened Bourbon, lol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Bourbon wouldn't be even remotely close to some of the weird stuff I've been offered.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I have it going too...but no one wants to send me locks :(

I think you have the record for most transactions in iTrader, lol!

Bourbon = Yum
    Good Bourbon = much yum = much $$$

I just don't ever have any unopened Bourbon, lol.

I love guns and I like testing out new weapon systems. I also like meeting the good guys here. I've met a few FBI Agents, Secret Service Agents, SWAT members, Louisiana State Police officers, contract agents from Blackwater, etc, and it's just nice to hear their point of views on firearms, etc. It's amazing the amount of knowledge that we have here on bayoushooter. And the type of firearms. I've had a guy trade me a Brugger & Thomet TP9, Steyr AUGs, SCAR 17, and other fine weaponry. I consider bayoushooter one of the best firearms forum on the internet. Glad I live down South.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I love guns and I like testing out new weapon systems. I also like meeting the good guys here. I've met a few FBI Agents, Secret Service Agents, SWAT members, Louisiana State Police officers, contract agents from Blackwater, etc, and it's just nice to hear their point of views on firearms, etc. It's amazing the amount of knowledge that we have here on bayoushooter. And the type of firearms. I've had a guy trade me a Brugger & Thomet TP9, Steyr AUGs, SCAR 17, and other fine weaponry. I consider bayoushooter one of the best firearms forum on the internet. Glad I live down South.

The only thing I don't like about the site is that the classifieds are google searchable... I believe those should be member viewable only... Hell think the whole forum should be that since this site is about a touchy topic to some...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The only thing I don't like about the site is that the classifieds are google searchable... I believe those should be member viewable only... Hell think the whole forum should be that since this site is about a touchy topic to some...

That would heavily lower traffic to the site and the ability for people to sell their items.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I look for good pictures, good price, and a short but sweet description. Have no problems sending PMs but always seem to be at my 100 limit between the inbox and sent box. Lots of people have a short attention span though and have trouble reading even the shortest of descriptions :(

I will say my one pet peeve is that I absolutely hate when someone will waste time with a "still available" message. If you're interested, make an offer and include some details rather than just those two words. It's much more useful to read "Hey I'm interested, will you take $XX and meet in XX if it's still available?" Really does it take that much longer than just typing a useless two word message?

That would heavily lower traffic to the site and the ability for people to sell their items.

I bet a lot of traffic comes from www.riverofguns.com. I know I find a lot of stuff on that search engine on other forums and it looks like Bayou Shooter is indexed there (http://www.riverofguns.com/cb/index.pl?sf=117)

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA

Double edged sword I know... I really would have to think long and hard before I ship to out of state for anyone.... Also a good reason not to post email or phone contact in you add to cut down on random scammers google searching...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I will say my one pet peeve is that I absolutely hate when someone will waste time with a "still available" message. If you're interested, make an offer and include some details rather than just those two words. It's much more useful to read "Hey I'm interested, will you take $XX and meet in XX if it's still available?" Really does it take that much longer than just typing a useless two word message?

That goes along with messages that say "I'm interested."

If I receive ten messages that say "I'm interested" and the eleventh message says "I'll buy it, when you would you like to meet?" then take a guess who gets to buy the item.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Model airplanes, video games, cookware, vehicles, nonstandard currency, and even food.

I've got a 12 pack of quilted northern. Highest quality you can find this side of the lake. Not that Great Value crap they get in on Tuesdays. Willing to trade it for that AR lower you got there.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've got a 12 pack of quilted northern. Highest quality you can find this side of the lake. Not that Great Value crap they get in on Tuesdays. Willing to trade it for that AR lower you got there.

Still not the strangest trade I've been offered. Apparently some people had the revelation that guns are more useful than their fantasy card game collection.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Still not the strangest trade I've been offered. Apparently some people had the revelation that guns are more useful than their fantasy card game collection.

Wait... yes... yes... This is indeed the best offer I have heard... Wonder if I secure some stacks of Magic the Gathering cards I can trade them straight for a Yeet Cannon...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Wait... yes... yes... This is indeed the best offer I have heard... Wonder if I secure some stacks of Magic the Gathering cards I can trade them straight for a Yeet Cannon...

DtE0iNlX4AIHixR.jpg

Top Bottom