Does anyone know of a storage facility in the greater new Orleans area that allows gu

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Like the title says..I know storage facilities are not an ideal place to store your firearms but I'm in a bind and need to find a storage unit where I can store some of my guns at. It'll only be for a few months and the people I trust to watch over my guns while I'm gone out of state to stay with my sick mom for a few months are all liberals who are scared to watch them..
    Any advice guys and gals?what storage facilities allow firearm storage?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Check with local shops St Bernard indoor shooting center in Arabi is a good start.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Check with local shops St Bernard indoor shooting center in Arabi is a good start.

I will start asking around..i have a decent sized collection that I think some shops won't want to have to deal with the hassle..another thing,do you or anyone else know that if a gunshop is willing to store my guns and rifles,do I have to do a NICS check on all my guns when it's time for me to get my guns out?..if that's the case then I'm not sure I want to go thru all that just to get my guns back ..
    Tough situation I'm in at the moment

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Worst case I'm local and i always love to help and i live in a secured location. Don't have much space though... Honestly a self storage is gonna be a gamble... But give it time and call the shops you never know what will pop up

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I used to own a mini storage business. After you pay your rent, it's none of their business what you put in it. I would check with your insurance agent and see if you can buy a renters policy to cover them while stored.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Check with the security vault on corner of Clearview and Veterans Hwy, Horizon self storage and vault.

They used to advertise the ability to store guns. They also advertised that you didn't even need an ID. Made me think either they were doing / encouraging something illegal or run by the cops! :)

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The last time I rented a storage unit, they asked me what I was storing. My answer was household items. Nuff said. No one ever checked to see what was in there. I didn't store any firearms, but my ammo fort was in there.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've been renting a storage unit with LifeStorage for several years and had two gun safes in there with a lot of ammo. There was an emergency there last year (water flooding in) and they had to enter the unit and move the stuff to another unit (it's in the contract they can break in and enter in the event of an emergency). Well, long story short they saw all the ammo and guns and freaked out. In the end I had to move all the guns and "explosives" out while they watched and now just store them elsewhere.

Another time at LifeStorage my open carrying father was helping me move some stuff and they saw his gun holstered on his hip and freaked out again. Apparently no guns are allowed on the property whatsoever even legally carried. They were quite rude about it and if I wasn't so lazy and the place wasn't so cheap and convenient I would definitely move out and find some place else that wasn't so anti gun. Not to mention, LifeStorage has sneakily tried to raise the rent several times and blamed each time on a "mistake in the system" that took many phone calls to correct and credit back to my account.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Storing firearms in any unit like that is a big risk. If you absolutely have to, I'd highly recommend putting them in a safe, putting boxes around the safe, and even bolting the safe down to the ground if you can.

Also, use a lock on the gate that is very hard to get through with bolt cutters and ideally pick resistant.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    You can rent a climate controlled storage area and put whatever you want in it. I would maybe try not to let anyone observe you putting the guns in the storage space.

If you MUST store them somewhere like that this is the way to go in my opinion also. Don't let them know what you are storing. If you let a gun shop store your guns (if they even would do that) then you will be required to fill out the form to get them back.

I did one consignment a long time ago when I used to get delayed. The gun shop added so much on top that there was no way it would sell and so I wanted to just get it back. Took me a while because I got delayed on my on gun. I doubt I would ever do it again, even though I don't get delayed anymore.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You can rent a climate controlled storage area and put whatever you want in it. I would maybe try not to let anyone observe you putting the guns in the storage space.

This
    I’ve never heard of anyone getting robbed at a storage facility unless they were behind on their payments and lose the contents to auction or seizure. I think it would be bad business if units weren’t protected from break ins, but if you don’t advertise and use the correct lock, you shouldn’t have to worry about that either. If I had to store them in such a manner I’d likely crate them and cover it with something. Even tho it’s climate controlled same rules for storage apply as far as proper piling and desiccant, don’t cover them in plastic, etc.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Another option is to put all of your handguns in a safe deposit box at your bank. Just get the largest one that they have and ask for a private room while you put your stuff in it. Bank can't/won't ask what you are putting in the box. I think that cost per year is something like $50-200 bucks, last I checked.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Just curious...what does a place like that charge for a large locker?

My safe deposit box with them isn't large enough for rifles. Mine has important papers, coins, watches and a pistol. Picture 4 shoe boxes maybe. Less than $200/yr, but I've been with them a long time. Over 20 years.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    This
    I’ve never heard of anyone getting robbed at a storage facility unless they were behind on their payments and lose the contents to auction or seizure. I think it would be bad business if units weren’t protected from break ins, but if you don’t advertise and use the correct lock, you shouldn’t have to worry about that either. If I had to store them in such a manner I’d likely crate them and cover it with something. Even tho it’s climate controlled same rules for storage apply as far as proper piling and desiccant, don’t cover them in plastic, etc.

I rented one due to my house selling faster than my new one was built. I went there at night. I may have gotten caught, but I could have defeated most of the locks with a crowbar and at night, I would be long gone before they knew what was up. CCTV would have gotten me, unless I was masked. This was at a regular 24/7 self storage.

Top Bottom