Does anyone know of a storage facility in the greater new Orleans area that allows gu

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I rented one due to my house selling faster than my new one was built. I went there at night. I may have gotten caught, but I could have defeated most of the locks with a crowbar and at night, I would be long gone before they knew what was up. CCTV would have gotten me, unless I was masked. This was at a regular 24/7 self storage.
    But did you know what was in any of those units? And do you think you had time to pilfer through all of it until you found some guns? Did you have to enter a code to get in the gate? If you did, it’s likely your special code, which would tell when you entered.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Check with the security vault on corner of Clearview and Veterans Hwy, Horizon self storage and vault.

If you’re talking about the lockers, I would pass on this place. Their CCTV system is ****ing ancient and the tops of the units are partitioned by very thin steel mesh. A number of the units also have two doors, front and back, which sounds nice, but it means two points of entry.

You might want to consider writing up a contract with an individual you trust to store ____ list of guns at a rate of _____ per month. With the agreement to sign off when they take possession and when possession is returned to you.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    We had a storage unit in Baton Rouge and kept a boat in it. One night a guy got into one of the units and proceeded to scale the internal walls and go unit to unit to take whatever he wanted. He had all night and no one had a clue he was there. It took awhile for him to get caught.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    If you’re talking about the lockers, I would pass on this place. Their CCTV system is ****ing ancient and the tops of the units are partitioned by very thin steel mesh. A number of the units also have two doors, front and back, which sounds nice, but it means two points of entry.

You might want to consider writing up a contract with an individual you trust to store ____ list of guns at a rate of _____ per month. With the agreement to sign off when they take possession and when possession is returned to you.

I was speaking of the vault section where they have safety deposit boxes and I think boxes large enough for firearms. Been awhile but that is what I remember. They may also have in the building a section as you discribe. I have not used the place in many year though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sounds like a business opportunity for an enterprising individual.

I was thinking the same thing.

It would require a lot of up-front costs, insurance, and security, though. Unless in a really good area, I can't imagine it being too terribly profitable.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA

It would require a lot of up-front costs, insurance, and security, though. Unless in a really good area, I can't imagine it being too terribly profitable.

Sounds like a business opportunity for an enterprising individual.

You would have to be in a specific area with high demand, like across the state line from a heavily restricted state, to make it profitable.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    But did you know what was in any of those units? And do you think you had time to pilfer through all of it until you found some guns? Did you have to enter a code to get in the gate? If you did, it’s likely your special code, which would tell when you entered.

I wasn't looking to burglarize it but the person who would be interested would likely pop the locks for anything of value. The guns would be a bonus. I'd think broke dope fiend or meth head rather than professional cat burglar. Regarding codes, of course there was one to get in. But there could have been many people who entered the facility. The codes would only limit the list of suspects to them (and employees). Finally, it's not really unusual to find someone living there. Usually very quiet since its against the rules. But I guess it beats living under a bridge.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA

They can be profitable. As more states, including Louisiana, enact laws that take guns from domestic violence suspects under restraining orders, they offer the option of surrendering the guns to the police or turning custody over to a non-prohibited person. The police don't have the room as this law leads to more seizures so they are happy for licensed gun storage. They are starting to crop up here and there. It is work intensive though. You'd have to deal with paperwork after the case is adjudicated to either return the collection or transfer them to a non-prohibited person. So, paperwork and such. And I guess there is the possibility of someone showing up and deciding he's taking his guns back.

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Make sure you pick a secure site that is unlikely to be burglarized. Its none of their business what you store there. So don't tell them.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well anyway... I had to store a bunch of my belongings in a unit for a couple years after my first marriage ended and never had any issues. I’m thinking if they were broken into on any sort of a regular basis then they’d go out of business. As far as popping locks, if you have the right lock, as was recommended to me by the facility I chose, nobody is gonna simply pop it and gain entry. Battery powered side grinder and a shower of sparks maybe.
    To the OP, if you rent a unit and need a good lock, you’re welcome to this one. Can’t see from the pic but there’s both keys.
    cb7d93d5a0f534ff69904495605ba16f.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well anyway... I had to store a bunch of my belongings in a unit for a couple years after my first marriage ended and never had any issues. I’m thinking if they were broken into on any sort of a regular basis then they’d go out of business. As far as popping locks, if you have the right lock, as was recommended to me by the facility I chose, nobody is gonna simply pop it and gain entry. Battery powered side grinder and a shower of sparks maybe.
    To the OP, if you rent a unit and need a good lock, you’re welcome to this one. Can’t see from the pic but there’s both keys.
    cb7d93d5a0f534ff69904495605ba16f.jpg

By looking at that keyway, I'm guessing that it could be raked open in under 30 seconds by someone with minimal skills. If it has security pins in it, it'll be pick-proof for any unskilled raking attacks. It'll likely be fine against bolt cutters, depending on what it's bolted to. Anyone who is willing to bring grinders to the table is going to get past anything they want.

Plus, if using a grinder, they'll likely attack whatever the lock is locked to, instead of the lock itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom