1911 External vs Internal Extractors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch69

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 4, 2020
    Lafayette
    Just curious what everyone prefers. I have 1911's with both Extractors and they all run flawlessly. I've searched and find mixed opinions.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I believe that people get upset about external extractors because they’re not traditional fare on the 1911 platform.
    Owning both kinds, no issues with either.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not sure of other brands but S&W makes a fine 1911 with external.
    I do not have one now justa the Colt and Kimber variants

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Not sure of other brands but S&W makes a fine 1911 with external.
    I do not have one now justa the Colt and Kimber variants

My Kimber runs fine with an external extractor.
    Had it many years and never a failure to extract over many hundreds of rounds.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Most people don't like external extractors, because of known issues with Kimber.

Do you have personal experience? Or someone else?
    The 3 I have work fine for my wife and me.
    I have one 3" 45acp and 2 5" Raptors one in 9mm and one in 45.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sure, but mine has been just fine.
    No complaints.

Do you have personal experience? Or someone else?
    The 3 I have work fine for my wife and me.
    I have one 3" 45acp and 2 5" Raptors one in 9mm and one in 45.

Known issues are known issues. If they are properly documented, it doesn’t matter if they were personal experiences or not.

I’m also not telling either of you to throw your guns in the trash or sell them. External extractors in the 1911 were *new* and by nature of being an alteration to the original design, it had issues.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ok thanks, I am going fish the Kimbers out the Trash Bin now.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Known issues are known issues. If they are properly documented, it doesn’t matter if they were personal experiences or not.

I’m also not telling either of you to throw your guns in the trash or sell them. External extractors in the 1911 were *new* and by nature of being an alteration to the original design, it had issues.

Fair enough.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ok thanks, I am going fish the Kimbers out the Trash Bin now.

Apparently you don’t read every post to ensure you understand the full context of a discussion.

My first post literally says:

Assuming they are both of quality, it doesn’t matter.

There were documented issues related to pistols having external extractors. I’m sure if you look hard enough you will find issues related to pistols with internal extractors as well...

Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA
    I will admit upfront that all of the 1911's I've owned have been the internal ejector type and the "closest" experience I have to an external ejector 1911 type is the S&W 5906, so I cannot speak of the differences between the two in actual use. My only complaint is the external ejector setup doesn't look right on a 1911 platform to me and makes my OCD rage :rofl:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I like external extractors. I like to look at the extractor as the gun cycles, and I can see it moving as it pulls the case out and it makes me feel better knowing that I can see it working. Internal extractors just bothered me cause I could not see them working. I like to pay attention to my guns when shooting, old school i guess.

And as Dave says, I have seen a few issues with external extractors, but since I was paying attention I just cleared the fired case before the slide had a chance to feed another round, eliminating a double feed style situation. Yeah, you have to be quick, and you have to be paying attention but that is why I do a lot of failure to start drills. Dry drills to be clear, no live ammo, but I make the bang noise with my mouth and it is pretty close to how loud the real bang is with hearing protection. Don't give me a hard time for doing dry practice without hearing protection. Its my life.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Just curious what everyone prefers. I have 1911's with both Extractors and they all run flawlessly. I've searched and find mixed opinions.

Many dislike the external extractor due to it's unconventional appearance on the 1911. It is likely more efficient and more robust than the internal extractor. It's my opinion that the internal extractor is the way to go because it's super simple to replace. Pinned or otherwise. I have several pinned. My Springfield is pinned and currently has over 12,000 rounds through it. It has never failed and is still inspectable. I removed it when I had the slide and frame checkered and cerakoted, and reinstalled with no issue. Occasionally they need adjusting or so I'm told. Buy quality and you will not need to worry about it. Springfield will fix anything free of charge if its defected. Ruger makes great external extractors and great 1911 type pistols. There is nothing on a 1911 that cannot be fixed with simple hand tools and replacement parts and some skill. Over the years I have enhanced a number of 1911 without bubba'ing them up. It involves files, stones, and oil and only removing small amounts of material at a time. A dremel should not be used on a 1911.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    the initial question whether to use internal or external extractors in the 1911 platform, is at best vague. the question could be posed to all auto loading hand guns. the original 1911 had an internal extractor and most would argue it is a robust, reliable pistol. the glock was originally designed with an external extractor
    and most would argue it is a robust, reliable pistol.

my take on this is if you purchased a pistol with a internal extractor, just use it, it was designed to function correctly as designed. if the slide was designed to use a external extractor,
    just use it, it was designed to function correctly as designed.

just like the AR platform, the 1911 platform has been extensively modified, you just need to figure out what works for you.... and understand your friends are always going to laugh at your choice..

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I had a sig 1911 with the external extractor. Probably went thru a couple thousand rounds without a malfunction regardless of ammo. I’ve carried classic (internal extractor) 1911s for 20 years and shot them for 30+. Probably have several tens of thousands of rounds thru them without an extractor-related malfunction. I’ve had ammo related malfunctions, mag related malfunctions, shagged recoil springs, slide catch failures, you name it. But no failures to extract. Short-strokes from weak powder loads or squib rounds, yes, but no failures of the extractor itself.

Hope it’s helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaBlueFalcon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Bossier City
    About the only issues I've had with external extractors (on a sig nonetheless) was gripping the extractor when racking the slide, can be corrected with training but I prefer internal extractors

Top Bottom