Damascus Blade thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Magdump, I am glad to hear you have experience with a wide range of Damascus blades. I wish everyone had good understanding of what’s out there and where it’s from. I hope you enjoy your collection.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Magdump, I am glad to hear you have experience with a wide range of Damascus blades. I wish everyone had good understanding of what’s out there and where it’s from. I hope you enjoy your collection.
    It’s all good man. I envy you being able to turn out those blades. It makes me want to freshen up my anvils and build another forge. Even if I just stuck to beating on railroad iron I’d be having fun.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    More than you (probably) ever wanted to know on the subject.

https://blog.knife-depot.com/how-to-tell-real-damascus/

They even specifically mention Pakistan made knives.

That’s a real good article Cheesy. I’ll use it the next time I get into the conversation of Damascus steel with a doubter. The problem I’m seeing is that the world (or most of it) has widely accepted the Damascus name to describe blended and folded steel. And that puts a wide variety of forged blades into the Damascus category. The Japanese had their own techniques a millennium ago and passed them on and kept them going til this day for the most part. Of course any steel made in a region will differ from another region regardless of technique. That has more to do with the ore it’s derived from.
    Also the article states what I’ve known since I first started collecting. How to tell Damascus/folded/Wootz/pattern welded or whatever you wanna call it steel. No matter how it’s cut, polished, ground or what have you, you can still make out the layers of steel, much like when you sand a car’s finish and feather edge 30 layers of old paint, the edge will tell you much. No matter how finely polished an authentic katana may be, I can see the layers of steel there.
    Thanks for posting that! I guess people can still doubt it if they choose to, but until there’s a better explanation with better proof, I’ll stick to what I know.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That’s a real good article Cheesy. I’ll use it the next time I get into the conversation of Damascus steel with a doubter. The problem I’m seeing is that the world (or most of it) has widely accepted the Damascus name to describe blended and folded steel. And that puts a wide variety of forged blades into the Damascus category. The Japanese had their own techniques a millennium ago and passed them on and kept them going til this day for the most part. Of course any steel made in a region will differ from another region regardless of technique. That has more to do with the ore it’s derived from.
    Also the article states what I’ve known since I first started collecting. How to tell Damascus/folded/Wootz/pattern welded or whatever you wanna call it steel. No matter how it’s cut, polished, ground or what have you, you can still make out the layers of steel, much like when you sand a car’s finish and feather edge 30 layers of old paint, the edge will tell you much. No matter how finely polished an authentic katana may be, I can see the layers of steel there.
    Thanks for posting that! I guess people can still doubt it if they choose to, but until there’s a better explanation with better proof, I’ll stick to what I know.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a doubter, but it's tough the tell what something is if you have no way of verifying such things. The word damascus is just an indicator of how it was made, but not an indicator of quality. For example, there are many commercial types of damascus, such as Alabama Damascus and Damasteel. Both are used often in folding knives. Alabama Damascus is most often used by Kershaw, or was, I don't know if they still use it for current production.

41LDtoLJZkL._AC_SX425_.jpg

And for those reading the thread that are not keen on Damascus, Walter Sorrells has some good videos out there.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Got a couple more in from Perkin yesterday. One is a repeat because my son was begging me for the smallest one in a previous bunch. I’ll be putting one of these in outdoor service now. I like this size to have handy. They come extremely sharp and I barely noticed improvement after a few minutes on the leather. Overall, I think for 30-40 dollars each they’re great knives. Again, definitely Damascus and I’ve got no reason to doubt the steel types they list as I’m finding more knife makers using the same mix domestically. Something I’ve never attempted but growing more curious about lately. Guess I will be looking into building another forge one of my weekends off. I still have a bucket of never used railroad spikes to play with.
    2273e4927392519e9e796fef01f97bac.jpg

f93382787c94334ea0d146dc08f72c0b.jpg

23e49ea61b480b703f5824718113e2d0.jpg

aeab0d538b72377fa51e27775aac2580.jpg
    1cdf135f3726ac1dcb3a5e99b6ef3f71.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024