Bicycles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Since no martial arts right now... I pulled out my mountain bike. It hadn't been ridden in quite a few years. It's an old schwinn, nothing special. When I put it in the shed it worked fine. Now the front derailleur won't shift to the inner (smaller) ring. Not that I use the small gear a lot but I want it working. I watched about every video on adjustments I can find. Played with the barrel adjustments, derailleur screws, removed and reconnected the cables, etc. No luck.

I went to Bicycle World on Jefferson Hwy and was told no repairs for months. The other brick and mortar shops are closed.

Any back yard bike mechanics in the New Orleans/ river parishes area?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Bokah Bikes.
    They're good people. It's way down on St. Claude but they are worth it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

St Claude and Poland Ave? I'll have to think about that one... Not sure what it's like there now, but there was a time when I would say I don't have enough ammo to spare to go there... I've heard it's improved...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    St Claude and Poland Ave? I'll have to think about that one... Not sure what it's like there now, but there was a time when I would say I don't have enough ammo to spare to go there... I've heard it's improved...

Bring back up....

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I use Dave’s Bicycle in BR, not that I’m trying to get you to come up here but I’ve been talking to him about building me a new bike. He says he’s never been this busy, says he wasn’t this busy when he had two stores. The FedEx lady said she’s never seen this many bikes being delivered. Will probably be a lot of good bikes for sale in a few months.

Bryan

rk06classic

Gunner
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Reserve, LA
    do you have a Double or Triple ring crankset. if the bike sat up a while in your shed you could have a problem with the cable. One thing you can try is to disconnect the cable from the derailleur. Once disconnected, hold the cable firmly and use the shifter to shift from high to low gear. The cable should move freely. also make sure the derailleur itself is properly lubricated and moves freely. If the bike has sat in your shed for some time the humidity in South Louisiana will cause problems because of moisture. Sometimes adjusting derailleurs can be tricky. Also the bike shop fees for repair may be more than your willing to spend on a bike. I do not ride my bikes at this time because I am waiting on some new hips, but once I get some new hips I will start enjoying my bikes.

Duane

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    do you have a Double or Triple ring crankset. if the bike sat up a while in your shed you could have a problem with the cable. One thing you can try is to disconnect the cable from the derailleur. Once disconnected, hold the cable firmly and use the shifter to shift from high to low gear. The cable should move freely. also make sure the derailleur itself is properly lubricated and moves freely. If the bike has sat in your shed for some time the humidity in South Louisiana will cause problems because of moisture. Sometimes adjusting derailleurs can be tricky. Also the bike shop fees for repair may be more than your willing to spend on a bike. I do not ride my bikes at this time because I am waiting on some new hips, but once I get some new hips I will start enjoying my bikes.

Duane

Cable is moving. Not sure it's moving enough... It is a triple ring crankset.
    Eventually I'll upgrade. My parents just moved almost on the Tammany Trace so I'll be riding more. This one will make a good spare for someone though.

Missing the small gear up front is not a huge deal unless I'm off road. I do want to ride the Bonne Carre trail though. And eventually the one in Ridgeland, MS... that looks like fun!

I haven't decided on my next bike though. I want a mountain bike for sure, not a road bike. But it would be nice to have a faster road speed also. Maybe a hybrid of some type...

swampglockman

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Bike zone in Covington --- but +1 as was said above.... they are swamped and about cleaned out as well.... very competent service crew..... not sure any waits or costs.... They are closed sunday.... not sure about Mondays.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    It's not as bad as it used to be but it's probably devolving quickly given the current circumstances. I only brought my primary and an extra mag...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Should be there almost normal hours. He is my neighbor. He said he was busy as hell but controlling access but there still

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    If it was working when you stored the bike, I would suggest spray lube the derailer, place the shifter in the small chain ring location and physically press the derailer over. Maybe with the bike upside down so you can slowly spin the pedals.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Found the problem last night! Forced the chain onto the inner ring, went to reset the derailleur and that's when I noticed the bent bike bottle cage was touching it... Still need to make some adjustments but it's working!

so any tricks on removing rust without disassembling? the rear chainrings and chain have a fair amount of rust (just cosmetic, works fine, but I'd like it off). I've been using vinegar. Other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom