Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Illusion of "Land of the free..."

The hardest part of this for me has been the breaking of the illusion of "Land of the free and the home of the brave".

I relation to other countries around the world we are allowed more freedom than average. Certainly not as seen by the founders and certainly not controlled by "the people". They told us it's to "flatten the curve". Now it's so "it doesn't come back". Will it be for another reason in two weeks?

There are many brave individuals out there. We see them every day. You may be one of them. Again, when I look around the behavior of many is not one of bravery. There are some who because of age and health issues should have concern and take more precautions. For 99%+ of people there is no danger from this. Look at the raw statistical numbers.

The disappointment is really hard to take.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Was this a over reaction and now they can’t say, whoops sorry we crashed the economy but it was for the safety of the people at the expense of freedom? Was it an attack? And now that the numbers don’t seem to support the continued oppression they have to keep the fear factor high by inflating death numbers, wrecking the food supply chain, and printing funny money to keep the illusion the economy will come back stronger when business is only allowed to operate at 25%. Dunno
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

LEO

User Info Menu

It's fear that's crippling us, nothing else. There aren't enough police in the country to put a dent in anything if stores and restaurants just didn't roll over and close, and people didn't just roll over and go home. Few are willing to be the test case, though. And as far as the corporations, it's litigation they fear. I've heard there are already lawsuits being filed claiming employers didn't do enough to protect people against exposure. The government doesn't have to actually DO much of anything, just rattle their saber loudly enough.

What's really disgusting to me is seeing the stories of some of the things some police departments are willing to do in the name of this bu11sh!t. Ticketing people in cars watching a sunset. Ticketing people in cars in a church parking lot. Arresting a guy out paddleboarding. I like to think that justice will be done for them when or if these things make it to court (I think most won't go that far, they've already thrown out the ones in MS in the church lot), but it's hugely disappointing to see these actions taken in the first place.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If an 18-wheeler sheds a tire in the interstate it wouldn’t be an overreaction to change lanes far in advance to avoid a collision. As a matter of fact if you waited till the last second and swerved to avoid it it would look pretty irresponsible. Now this is clearly not an apples to apples comparison but there are lesson we can take from it. A measured response to give that tire a wide birth by measure of clearance between your pickup and that tire could be deemed an overreaction because you could have skirted your lane and been fine.

From the onset of this I said our overreaction to this would do more damage than the virus. And so far we have chosen fear and dictator like leadership as the sizable course of our actions. A lot of places and things that have been deemed no go’s wouldn’t add significant risk while others have been open. My personal favorite have been the workers at restaurants and grocery stores being required to wear mask but not required to wear it correctly. Funneling people threw one entrance and exit at the grocery store forcing closer contact in efforts to reduce close contact.

For all our advancements in science, the human race is still a bunch of dumb herd animals.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; April 28th, 2020 at 09:01 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    It's fear that's crippling us, nothing else. There aren't enough police in the country to put a dent in anything if stores and restaurants just didn't roll over and close, and people didn't just roll over and go home. Few are willing to be the test case, though. And as far as the corporations, it's litigation they fear. I've heard there are already lawsuits being filed claiming employers didn't do enough to protect people against exposure. The government doesn't have to actually DO much of anything, just rattle their saber loudly enough.

What's really disgusting to me is seeing the stories of some of the things some police departments are willing to do in the name of this bu11sh!t. Ticketing people in cars watching a sunset. Ticketing people in cars in a church parking lot. Arresting a guy out paddleboarding. I like to think that justice will be done for them when or if these things make it to court (I think most won't go that far, they've already thrown out the ones in MS in the church lot), but it's hugely disappointing to see these actions taken in the first place.
    Drive in fast food.... good

Drive in Jesus.... bad

Buying booze at the liquor store... essential
    Buying your kid new clothing that fits in Target who is already open... non essential

I don’t remember where the target instance happened.

Before all the ‘naders up this way for a few weeks we were under a statewide burn ban ‘so fire and rescue could focus their efforts on Coronavirus.’... Yeah ok

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I think all of this allowed many to see that the government is incapable of babying them, as they were promised when they voted certain idiots into office. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The country got a little taste of a shit show. If people don’t wise up, we are doomed when something worse happens.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I think all of this allowed many to see that the government is incapable of babying them, as they were promised when they voted certain idiots into office. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The country got a little taste of a shit show. If people don’t wise up, we are doomed when something worse happens.
    Yeah and sadly leaders of all potential persuasion have taken their turn in the dictator chair.

The story came out this morning the Mayor of Hattiesburg would have to lay-off personnel because sales tax revenue was so low but a day earlier the story was Hattiesburg mayor requiring non essential businesses that are opening back up have follow stricter guild lines than called for in Statewide EO. All no essential businesses in Hattiesburg are by appointment only.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Yeah and sadly leaders of all potential persuasion have taken their turn in the dictator chair.

The story came out this morning the Mayor of Hattiesburg would have to lay-off personnel because sales tax revenue was so low but a day earlier the story was Hattiesburg mayor requiring non essential businesses that are opening back up have follow stricter guild lines than called for in Statewide EO. All no essential businesses in Hattiesburg are by appointment only.
    The situation has peaked. It’s dying, albeit slowly.

They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they didn’t shut down every *non-essential* business. As if a seamstress had thousands of customers in the shop per day. I can’t even go to a book store, where I have only interacted with other humans when I was buying my items.

User Info Menu

It is obvious that this was a "Plandemic" to make sure President Trump would not be re-elected. "They" are scared to death of him and have created and carried out a pandemic on the world to insure he is not re-relected. Our freedoms have been severely infringed upon with many individuals facing financial ruin because of their idiotic shut down rules and social distancing. IMO this pandemic is no worse than the regular flu but the media has made it out to be something horrific and others have gone along with it. I am saying that those who have been infected and those who have died were part of their plan, this was needed to sell the hype, these people are evil. We need to get back to work and on with our lives and quick accepting these draconian rules that have been placed upon us.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

One issue is there are people who think the measures taken were excessive because the numbers aren't as bad as projected but haven't considered the numbers aren't as bad as projected because of the measures that were taken. Looking forward from the beginning, very little was known. It's not reasonable to use the knowledge we've learned after the decisions were made to judge the making of the decisions.

That being said, I think the usual definition of essential business is too narrow in the real world. If anyone has kids and even some without kids will realize some essential things were left off the list. Mental wellbeing is important as well. I'm stuck at home with nothing to do, maybe I can spend a lot of time working on that flowerbed with the honey but we need to get some flowers. We can't because they are not essential. The kids could use some sidewalk chalk but we'd have to go to the store to get it. And if you have kids, you'll probably recognize alcohol as essential. And the rules for the grocery store can certainly be applied to other stores.

But even with social distancing in mind, I do think some rules have gone too far. For example, it takes some maneuvering for two people in two boats to get within 6 feet of each other.