LAFOAUTO ads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Maybe I am the only one, but I have seen some LAFOAUTO ads in the top and sidebars here. Pretty sure that is some sort of google based ads.

Seems funny to be advertising "fuel filters" on a gun site...

Not related but I get alot of fat girly (plus size) swimwear ads in my email. I am certainly "plus sized" but not into wearing womens bathing suits. Perhaps my online profile has been hacked by a cross dressing person with dirty gas?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you looked at that "fuel Filter" thread someone was joking about a few weeks ago, that might be why you are getting them. I forgot what they were and looked them up and I am getting ads for them on other pages. I haven't noticed them on here, but that's probably why.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    One of my employees has been seeing them a lot of facebook too... Wondering if the ATF is bored.

Problem I see is that most people are not as well versed in the gun rules as those who frequent this site...

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    The ad algorithms have actually become extremely smart as the years go on. As more and more code is being layered in and more and more machine learning is used it's becoming damn hard to stay anonymous online. Most ad services can track down who you are based off the browser data that is sent to the web server in addition to the cookies on your machine and the IP address you're behind. If you are tech savvy enough to know how to clear your cookies, disable your advertising id, stay behind a vpn, block the browser from knowing your location, etc. then the ads won't know what to target and you will get generic ones. But someone who does all of that should be using adblock or a pihole.

It's funny cuz I work with a bunch of IT people who swear up and down that "facebook is listening to them" through their phones. They'll have a conversation about something and then start getting ads for it online. We all share the same IP address at work so all it takes is for a couple of people to start googling for what they were talking about and it gets attached to everyone's "advertising profile" at the office. Just clicking on one of the ads is enough for them to know you will click on more like it. Doesn't really explain the swimwear ads you're getting though. Maybe someone else in your household has a fat girl fetish? :mamoru:

However, I'm assuming you're talking about the ads for the "oil filters". Someone pointed them out here - https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?188428&p=1703558#post1703558 - but with adblock I'd have never seen em. If I had to guess, Bayoushooter (like most websites these days) use an ad service. They don't decide where the ads come from, the service does. Just like advertising on facebook, these services can allow you target exactly the demographic you think will get you sales. So if they want gullible gun owners who will fall for a honeypot silencer sting they could check all the boxes that would put the ad on a southern gun forum where I imagine they think we're just a bunch of stupid hicks who will believe anything we see on the intrawebs.

Use an alternative to the google...

Can't agree with this enough. Google is the devil. Sure they're convenient and the user interface is lovely and their search engine just works. But they track every search you make and keep it in a database along with all the data they get out of Chrome and their other services. All of your gmail is indexed by them and they look for keywords. All of this data is extremely valuable to advertisers and we just give it all away freely.

I would suggest using Chromium which is open source and what Chrome (and the new Microsoft Edge) is based off of. People would quickly expose anything malicious in the source code so it being open source is what keeps it safe. Use startpage.com or duckduckgo.com for searching as they both respect your privacy and while they may keep the search queries, they don't save them with your identifying information (mostly your IP address).

Also get a VPN. It's $100 a year for ProtonVPN Plus and they've been in the privacy game for a long ass time. Not only is it great to keep your ISP and other places from trying to track your web surfing, you can also use it to get content from other regions. Netflix has different videos available depending on region so you could explore all of the titles in the UK netflix store without having to leave the country! Also great for going to sites like https://soap2day.to/ to stream movies for free without getting a pesky letter from your ISP about it (or hell feel free to torrent your socks off behind the VPN).

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Not related but I get alot of fat girly (plus size) swimwear ads in my email. I am certainly "plus sized" but not into wearing womens bathing suits. Perhaps my online profile has been hacked by a cross dressing person with dirty gas?
    You ain’t been hacked bro, tracked is more the word. Google just knows what you like. Go with it. Think back to the first time you clicked on that pic of the thick big booty girl to have a better look. That’s when Google took note and said, hey, send this guy more thick hottie pics, ads, singles hookup sites, etc.
    Yeah J, just go with it. Google knows best. I bet you’ll see I’m right about this. Shucks, I may never have realized I had a midget fetish if not for Google. Yeah....

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Maybe I am the only one, but I have seen some LAFOAUTO ads in the top and sidebars here. Pretty sure that is some sort of google based ads.

Seems funny to be advertising "fuel filters" on a gun site...

GREAT! jdindadell went to that HK Pro Forum and brought back pop-up cooties. :D
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?188099-HK-Pro-Forum-don-t-waste-your-time

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    they think we're just a bunch of stupid hicks who will believe anything we see on the intrawebs.

I have a feeling the ad people have actually read bayoushooter... and have drawn that exact conclusion.

Good explanation Josh, and I have been thinking a VPN would be a good choice.

You ain’t been hacked bro, tracked is more the word. Google just knows what you like. Go with it. Think back to the first time you clicked on that pic of the thick big booty girl to have a better look. That’s when Google took note and said, hey, send this guy more thick hottie pics, ads, singles hookup sites, etc.
    Yeah J, just go with it. Google knows best. I bet you’ll see I’m right about this. Shucks, I may never have realized I had a midget fetish if not for Google. Yeah....

What kind of ads do you get when you have a midget fetish? Little people clothing ads? Short story recommendations? Tiny house build videos?

GREAT! jdindadell went to that HK Pro Forum and brought back pop-up cooties. :D
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?188099-HK-Pro-Forum-don-t-waste-your-time

I doubt there is one ounce of humor left on that site... A bit dry over there. They must have had some serious issues at some point and put it on lock down.

Last edited:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Yeah, gotta watch what you search. I went to present something on my WORK laptop and the browser ads were filled with nothing but gun accessories. Some of my coworkers gave me the side eye....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom