Anyone know about magnet fishing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I do. I actually just tried the lakefront today for the first time. Didn’t get ****. However I did a small section of the public boat launch in port Vincent a few days ago with my kids, and pretty much every time I threw my magnet out I came up with something.... lots of junk, but something at least. I want to go back though. There was a guy fishing the dock and I didn’t want to get to close and bother him so I called it quits pretty quick

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’ve seen some youtubers do it. Does that count? Hitting the touristy spots would prolly yield better than random locations.

It’s like any other hobby. If you like it do it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I do. I actually just tried the lakefront today for the first time. Didn’t get ****. However I did a small section of the public boat launch in port Vincent a few days ago with my kids, and pretty much every time I threw my magnet out I came up with something.... lots of junk, but something at least. I want to go back though. There was a guy fishing the dock and I didn’t want to get to close and bother him so I called it quits pretty quick

Have you found anything cool or noteworthy?

What kind of magnet are you using?

Rivens81

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 11, 2018
    New Orleans Louisiana
    I thought about doing that by kayak in lake borgne over some battles that took place in war of 1812. There’s bound to be artifacts there still. Message me if you want to go sometime

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yeah, I caught a record steelhead just last year...
    LOL
    I can’t say I’ve gone just to see what I can find, but I’ve got a couple of bad ass magnets made for the task that I carried in my boat for years. They came in handy a couple times too. Not sure how far I could chunk these tho.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Have you found anything cool or noteworthy?

What kind of magnet are you using?

nothing really crazy yet. At Port Vincent the other day, I got a whole bunch of hurricane clips, nails, etc, from the bridge area and about 30ish feet straight out from the launch I got a boat propeller. That’s pretty much the most interesting thing I’ve gotten so far. For now I’m using a 1200lb 2 sided magnet I got off eBay with a rock climbing caribiner and about 50ft of 550 Paracord. I want to get some more heavy duty stuff and a length of 100ft rope so I can go in way deeper areas in the near future.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    was the bike salvageable or just trash? That’s the fun of the hobby. You never know what you’ll find that can be saved
    It was down there a while. Lots of it was rusted through.
    Got a Leatherman off of the Pier at sunset point that was a mess too. It's somewhere in my garage now.
    There's lots of pieces of 1" cables off that pier for some reason too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    done it alot off the piers in lake erie in canada back in the late 80s. nothing secial. a 30lb magnet and a 100ft section of cheap rope. lots of fish baskets, several rod/reels, a few cheap fillet knives.
    stuff lasts longer up in the cold fresh water than down here.

if you really want to find stuff(junk) get a waterproof metal detector, set it to heavier metals to ignore the aluminum cans. lots of musket balls and minnie balls in this area. lead lasts forever. so does brass. a guy on a metal detecting forum found a small falcon not too far from dolphin island.

Top Bottom