Trudeau announces ban on 1,500 kinds of "assault weapons"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don’t care much what people do in other countries unless it affects the United States.

This doesn’t currently affect the United States. Canada elected that idiot. Canada gets to deal with him.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Press F for our friends up north :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52505765

Here's the list: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/n...ns-identified-as-prohibited-in-canada-444750/

They already had a ban on magazines larger than 5 rounds for centerfire rifles. I guess that wasn't enough for law abiding citizens.

Damn. He pretty much banned all the long guns. So glad that I'm not Canadian, but there are liberal idiots like this in the USA that would do the same thing. Protect your rights. This only hurts the good guys.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I don’t care much what people do in other countries unless it affects the United States.

This doesn’t currently affect the United States. Canada elected that idiot. Canada gets to deal with him.

I feel like him passing this will make other lawmakers think it's a good idea to bring back the AWB.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I feel like him passing this will make other lawmakers think it's a good idea to bring back the AWB.

I think a slightly louder fart by another Democrat will give lawmakers the idea to bring back the AWB.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Damn. He pretty much banned all the long guns. So glad that I'm not Canadian, but there are liberal idiots like this in the USA that would do the same thing. Protect your rights. This only hurts the good guys.

Canadian dude here. Not weighing in with an opinion on the ban because I want to avoid politics, but do want to point out that it does not actually include most long guns... hunting and non-military-style rifles are still fine, shotguns are still fine, and pistols are still fine. Regular rifles and shotguns are actually the ‘most’ legal type of firearm in Canada, much easier to buy, own and shoot than handguns.

This is a gross oversimplification, but Canadian law puts guns into three categories... non-restricted (regular rifles and shotguns), restricted (semi-automatic rifles and handguns), and prohibited (automatic rifles, military weapons, short-barreled rifles and handguns with under 4* barrels). All of these can be owned legally, but it’s hard as hell to get anything on the prohibited list.

I called a bunch of my buddies back home to see if they were freaking out, but it didn’t really affect any of them. These types of weapons were mostly already on the ‘restricted’ list and pretty hard to get a hold of in any case. For most (not all, but most) Canadian gun owners this actually doesn’t change much. You could technically even legally walk down the street carrying a rifle if you wanted to, as long as it wasn’t loaded. (It’d be stupid, but it’d be legal.)

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Canadian dude here. Not weighing in with an opinion on the ban because I want to avoid politics, but do want to point out that it does not actually include most long guns... hunting and non-military-style rifles are still fine, shotguns are still fine, and pistols are still fine. Regular rifles and shotguns are actually the ‘most’ legal type of firearm in Canada, much easier to buy, own and shoot than handguns.

This is a gross oversimplification, but Canadian law puts guns into three categories... non-restricted (regular rifles and shotguns), restricted (semi-automatic rifles and handguns), and prohibited (automatic rifles, military weapons, short-barreled rifles and handguns with under 4* barrels). All of these can be owned legally, but it’s hard as hell to get anything on the prohibited list.

I called a bunch of my buddies back home to see if they were freaking out, but it didn’t really affect any of them. These types of weapons were mostly already on the ‘restricted’ list and pretty hard to get a hold of in any case. For most (not all, but most) Canadian gun owners this actually doesn’t change much. You could technically even legally walk down the street carrying a rifle if you wanted to, as long as it wasn’t loaded. (It’d be stupid, but it’d be legal.)

Oldest story in the world. “I don’t need to defend myself, everything is just fine.” Until one day when it’s not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Oldest story in the world. *I don’t need to defend myself, everything is just fine.* Until one day when it’s not.

Yep death by a million pin pricks... Just keep chipping away until they can do this... Time tested method... Think Hitler turned on the Jews and threw them in camps overnight... Nope he built up to that point little by little...

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Was the mini 14 on there? I didn't see it by name.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

From what I've read, it's only on there b/c it was used in a shooting in 1989.

Other weapons on the list include the Ruger Mini-14 rifle, used in a 1989 Montreal mass shooting in which 14 women were killed, as well as carbines such as the CZ Scorpion, Beretta CX4 Storm and Swiss Arms Classic Green.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I'm would like to know how long ago that document was written. He probably was waiting for just the right moment to act.

TrapperT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Sulphur,La.

88 The firearm of the design commonly known as the Ruger Mini-14 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it, including the

• (a) Clark Custom Guns Ruger Mini-14;
    • (b) Ruger Mini-14 GB;
    • (c) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle;
    • (d) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Deluxe;
    • (e) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle LE;
    • (f) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle LET;
    • (g) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle NRA Edition;
    • (h) Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Target Rifle; and
    • (i) Ruger Mini Thirty.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

From another Canadian: what he said.

The intellectual debate on gun control left Canada a long time ago, but I think that this is a political play on the part of the Canadian Liberal party to curry votes from the urban left. It will almost certainly backfire in the rural areas, and in provinces like Alberta (Canada's Texas).

Mike

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    hunting and non-military-style rifles are still fine, shotguns are still fine, and pistols are still fine

Then after they take care of the “military style rifles” it’ll be working on getting pistols banned because they are easy to conceal. After those, then why does someone need a gun as powerful as a shotgun? You can blow someone in half with a shotgun..... next you’ll be throwing rocks to defend yourself

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oldest story in the world. *I don’t need to defend myself, everything is just fine.* Until one day when it’s not.

Amen
    Trudeau needs to get the cancer or something. It’s too bad he ain’t got all the dirt on the Clintons....Might as well throw in that stupid bitch running New Zealand too. Just have a big ol’ Clinton foundation suicide ball. Yup.
    I don’t wanna disrespect you boys from Canada, but any leader of another country starts talking about what my country should do with guns in my country needs to swim with the fishes.
    There was once a Jap admiral that wished we weren’t armed to the teeth. Didn’t turn out to well for him and his country. Yup.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe you could go with the original “assault rifle” a level action with a pistol caliber?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Trudeau is an autocrat. The vast majority of gun owners in Canada are good folks and an important component to a citizen guard/militia. It will definitely have an impact on the US as violent crime and organized crime gain a foothold over the law abiding in CA in the coming years post ban: which is a guarantee. I hope CA citizens are non compliant, and I hope they vote this tyrant out of office and all of his kin and connections at all levels of government!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom