Buying Guns Online

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi everyone,

I have always been trepidacious about buying guns online. For whatever reason, I've always felt like something would go wrong. It'll either be an enormous hassle to get it or I'll spend all that money and something will go wrong in my ability to receive the weapon I have already paid for.

For the past couple months have been doing research, listening to various testimonies of buying guns online, learning about the most dependable sites to order from, and even seeing people's posts on here of buying online has encouraged me. Not to mention, prices for firearms seem to be much more reasonable online than in a store like Academy or Bass Pro.

So, I bit the bullet and did it. My payment is in the processing phase until shipment currently from Kygco (Kentucky Gun Company).

I wanted to know everyone's experiences with ordering guns online and possibly best local FFL dealers to work with. And the places you folks have found to be the most reliable and efficient to order from online. Thanks everyone, hopefully this is the right spot to put this thread. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have bought plenty online from Gunbroker and paid with credit card not bank card.
    Shipping to my FFL that I use never a problem

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have been a customer and also a employee on both ends of the transfer situation. I do this on a regular basis.

Its about as easy as ordering something and picking it up with official permission...Oh and you will usually need a couple bucks to pay for the permission and fees associated with your transaction to your local dealer.

Everything is so automated now when purchasing, it kinda stream ines itself to a degree.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Shamefully, for the last few years I average 30-50 firearms purchases a year online, maybe 15-20 per year in person. Very few of those have been in an actual shop or store. Maybe 5. I’ve had one (I’m gonna call it) ‘bad purchase’ wherein the used gun I bought was definitely not accurately described by the seller and was in rather poor condition. I don’t buy guns from Buds anymore.
    Other than that, I’ve afforded myself the ability to buy what I want, usually for less money than most people because I shop around and I seize the moment, so to speak. I can honestly say that collecting has become easier as a result and I get more for my money. I’m also fortunate in that my FFL does not charge me a fee.
    If I was starting now I’d likely look for a reputable FFL near my home to get established with and then a few decent retailers online and check their prices. I’ll list a few that I’ve purchased from recently:
    Palmetto State Armory
    Sports outdoor superstore
    CDNN
    Kentucky Gun Co.
    Classic Firearms
    J&G sales
    AIM Surplus

good luck

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I have always been trepidacious about buying guns online. For whatever reason, I've always felt like something would go wrong. It'll either be an enormous hassle to get it or I'll spend all that money and something will go wrong in my ability to receive the weapon I have already paid for.

For the past couple months have been doing research, listening to various testimonies of buying guns online, learning about the most dependable sites to order from, and even seeing people's posts on here of buying online has encouraged me. Not to mention, prices for firearms seem to be much more reasonable online than in a store like Academy or Bass Pro.

So, I bit the bullet and did it. My payment is in the processing phase until shipment currently from Kygco (Kentucky Gun Company).

I wanted to know everyone's experiences with ordering guns online and possibly best local FFL dealers to work with. And the places you folks have found to be the most reliable and efficient to order from online. Thanks everyone, hopefully this is the right spot to put this thread. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences

If you're in Baton Rouge, I'd recommend using FRC as the FFL who does receives and transfers the firearm for you. They are all great guys and you can immediately shoot it after receiving it :)

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Thanks for starting this thread, IJS. Been wondering about this myself, I've never bought online either.

I'm still at the beginner-level of all this where I haven't found any deals that seemed too hard to pass up online vs somewhere locally, by the time I factored in taxes and $25-40 for what I anticipate would be FFL fees. But seems like I need to hang around for some tips from Magdump and friends on where to look. (If there's another thread in these forums somewhere that discusses the ins and outs of online shopping, please link me to it!)

Question for the gang here: Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced FFL in the New Orleans area?

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you're in Baton Rouge, I'd recommend using FRC as the FFL who does receives and transfers the firearm for you. They are all great guys and you can immediately shoot it after receiving it :)

Man, I've been hearing such great things about FRC all over this forum. I definitely will be checking them out as soon as I can and I will def use them as my FFL in the future.

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Shamefully, for the last few years I average 30-50 firearms purchases a year online, maybe 15-20 per year in person. Very few of those have been in an actual shop or store. Maybe 5. I’ve had one (I’m gonna call it) ‘bad purchase’ wherein the used gun I bought was definitely not accurately described by the seller and was in rather poor condition. I don’t buy guns from Buds anymore.
    Other than that, I’ve afforded myself the ability to buy what I want, usually for less money than most people because I shop around and I seize the moment, so to speak. I can honestly say that collecting has become easier as a result and I get more for my money. I’m also fortunate in that my FFL does not charge me a fee.
    If I was starting now I’d likely look for a reputable FFL near my home to get established with and then a few decent retailers online and check their prices. I’ll list a few that I’ve purchased from recently:
    Palmetto State Armory
    Sports outdoor superstore
    CDNN
    Kentucky Gun Co.
    Classic Firearms
    J&G sales
    AIM Surplus

good luck

Wow! Now, that makes me feel a lot better.

That is some vast experience with ordering online. That's awesome.

I was surprised to hear you say that you don't order from Buds anymore. That is the main one I heard about on YouTube videos and seemed to be among the most reliable. I was actually a little worried that I DIDN'T order from Buds for my first online purchase.

Is it because of the experience you had with the poorly described firearm in bad shape?

Also, in your experience, how long does it take to ship and have this process over and finished with?Currently, I haven't even been charged, I'm in the processing and according to the email I got, I will be charged when it ships. Also, I imagine everything is that much slower right now for obvious reasons.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Buying online is pretty safe, especially with a CC. I have bought entire estates multiple states over unseen with cash equivalents or check and had not problems, most being brokered by someone reputable in the industry and mostly for the machine guns.

I would encourage you to visit your local dealer over bass pro or academy even before ordering online. Many will be more competitive than you would think on special order guns, some online deals are just too much for a B&M to match though. I have used FRC, but also Bayou gunslingers and Louisiana Gun and reloading are good to go in the area.

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does anyone have any experience with getting approved in one place and then not being approved at another?

This is one of the things I was concerned about. I bought a gun from Academy and was approved, after delay. I always get delayed. I have never not been approved, but am always delayed.

I am worried, in a paranoid "I've never done this before" sense, that I will have paid for the gun, go to pick it up, of course get delayed, and for whatever reason THIS TIME not get approved.

From what the lady said, it will be a process of emailing the website customer service, being charged a reshelving fee and then basically haggling to get my money back. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is, of course, worst case scenario for me

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does anyone have any experience with getting approved in one place and then not being approved at another?

This is one of the things I was concerned about. I bought a gun from Academy and was approved, after delay. I always get delayed. I have never not been approved, but am always delayed.

I am worried, in a paranoid "I've never done this before" sense, that I will have paid for the gun, go to pick it up, of course get delayed, and for whatever reason THIS TIME not get approved.

From what the lady said, it will be a process of emailing the website customer service, being charged a reshelving fee and then basically haggling to get my money back. Anyone have any experience with this?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Lots of things can cause a delay, if you are not prohibited there is a 99.99% chance you won't get denied. The only reason I have known of someone to get denied that wasn't prohibited was someone who had the same name as someone who was prohibited. It took them a couple years but they eventually got a UPIN.

I would not worry about it, and you are more likely to have a better outcome using a small local shop over a chain store. Bass Pro and Academy are terrible places to buy a gun.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Is there a reason for this, other than the very important rationale of supporting local business/economy over the big box guys?

Bass pro is way overpriced... Need I say more?

Academy, well they have some "deals" but I dislike their polices, and often find the counter staff to be lacking in one way or another.

Find a good ffl holder in your area, and develop a relationship with them. They can be handy to help you with online purchases and will make you a deal most of the time. I have done most of the deals at gun shows with the various local gun shops that frequent them, never had a bad experience. Gun shows are a great way to price shop, in person. Plus you can chat with the seller.

Pawn shops can be a good place to buy used stuff locally. Just please know what you are looking at before you start haggling. And don't shy away from "lowballing", you can always go up.

I have purchased a few guns online, palmetto state armory, and maybe aim surplus? Can't quite remember. I have also bought guns off gunbroker, and had them ship to my local ffl.

It pays to sign up to the email specials that the various online sellers offer. Best way to find out their current deals, especially if you are looking for used or surplus guns.

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lots of things can cause a delay, if you are not prohibited there is a 99.99% chance you won't get denied. The only reason I have known of someone to get denied that wasn't prohibited was someone who had the same name as someone who was prohibited. It took them a couple years but they eventually got a UPIN.

I would not worry about it, and you are more likely to have a better outcome using a small local shop over a chain store. Bass Pro and Academy are terrible places to buy a gun.

Heard that, thanks for your input. I'll be sure to check out some local shops

IJS

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

Heard that, thanks for your input. I'll be sure to check out some local shops

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks for starting this thread, IJS. Been wondering about this myself, I've never bought online either.

I'm still at the beginner-level of all this where I haven't found any deals that seemed too hard to pass up online vs somewhere locally, by the time I factored in taxes and $25-40 for what I anticipate would be FFL fees. But seems like I need to hang around for some tips from Magdump and friends on where to look. (If there's another thread in these forums somewhere that discusses the ins and outs of online shopping, please link me to it!)

Question for the gang here: Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced FFL in the New Orleans area?
    I used to post a lot of stuff in Hot Deals but got a lot of meh meh from some folks. I’ll try to start that practice again.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I used to post a lot of stuff in Hot Deals but got a lot of meh meh from some folks. I’ll try to start that practice again.

I approve of that strategy. Especially if you find some hot deals on 10-22 Takedown's ;)

Also, 70 guns in one year...how the hell did you convince your wife to not complain about that? I'm impressed LOL!

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I do buy online sometimes, and it's very easy especially when you already know about the item you want.

Just stick to reputable online dealers only buy manufacturers that take care of customers easily/make reliable guns - Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. I wouldn't buy say a Kel-Tec or Taurus online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom