Question about the marketplace

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I disagree, we don't support or allow this type of behavior. One offs occur, but it is very rare. If it's happening and I am not aware, please bring it up. We don't tolerate people perpetrating scams or any type of fraud.

Sorry you're right, this kind of behavior is rare. Just took a break from the gun world and came back after a few years and sad to see most of the new posts are only in the marketplace.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Magdump started this thread, but it evolved into someone wanting to have their account removed and someone else saying they had a bad deal?

What’s going on?

This started in a thread in the marketplace after someone claimed that they had first dibs because the posted in the thread first. That thread was closed by the OP because the sale was completed. I moved the relevant posts to a new thread to continue the conversation. It just happened that the first relevant post was Magdump’s post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This started in a thread in the marketplace after someone claimed that they had first dibs because the posted in the thread first. That thread was closed by the OP because the sale was completed. I moved the relevant posts to a new thread to continue the conversation. It just happened that the first relevant post was Magdump’s post.

Oh, I didn't know that. What thread did it come from? can you link?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Ah.

So someone thought it was their right to take possession of someone's item, because they posted in the thread? Sounds like someone doesn't understand how sales work.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ah.

So someone thought it was their right to take possession of someone's item, because they posted in the thread? Sounds like someone doesn't understand how sales work.

I agree Dave. That is why I posted.
    Posting PMed or I will take it in thread does not win you the item for sale.

Any normal person would understand that.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Remember when only the OP could post in marketplace threads? I do.

Y’all (the esteemed collection of moderators here) should go back to it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Remember when only the OP could post in marketplace threads? I do.

Y’all (the esteemed collection of moderators here) should go back to it.
    I agree. We should.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I disagree, we don't support or allow this type of behavior. One offs occur, but it is very rare. If it's happening and I am not aware, please bring it up. We don't tolerate people perpetrating scams or any type of fraud.

I don’t think Bosco was referring to the site being wayward, rather some of the members that would attempt to take advantage of the moment, or another member.

Until I had children (3 great sons and 2 lovely daughters), I would take advantage of and completely exploit any ‘error in my favor’ that any retailer, bank, restaurant or other service would make, excepting mom and pop businesses or common people. I remember the first time I decided that was a no go. My son watched me pick up a wad of some $60+ in cash with a receipt from the gift shop at the BR zoo. He was prolly 8 or 10 years old. He was ecstatic. Yay! Big money! Well, I gave the wife the ‘gimme a minute’ sign, left her with the younger sibling and Jr and I walked into the gift shop to find an employee. Unbeknownst to me, my wife saw a concerned mother dragging around a child and searching the pavement just outside the gift shop and asked and learned that she was our person and sent her into the gift shop pointing me out. I was waiting at the counter and the lady caught my attention. She was able to reach into a bag and show me the items that were on the receipt so I smiled and said ‘Awesome’, handed the money over with a smile and got a high five from my boy. We don’t practice finders keepers in my house. I know that’s not the same as not getting an insane deal on a gun for sale, but if the seller is taking a substantial loss in the deal because of a mistake and a buyer would take advantage, it’s no less on the moral scale. Holding someone’s ethics hostage is worse in my opinion. Kinda along the lines of extortion as far as I’m concerned. If we’re talking about living by a code of conduct, being a stand up person and all.

Oh, and for the record, I did not start any thread. I asked a simple question in the first thread that was actually meant to make people stop and think.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don’t think Bosco was referring to the site being wayward, rather some of the members that would attempt to take advantage of the moment, or another member.

Until I had children (3 great sons and 2 lovely daughters), I would take advantage of and completely exploit any ‘error in my favor’ that any retailer, bank, restaurant or other service would make, excepting mom and pop businesses or common people. I remember the first time I decided that was a no go. My son watched me pick up a wad of some $60+ in cash with a receipt from the gift shop at the BR zoo. He was prolly 8 or 10 years old. He was ecstatic. Yay! Big money! Well, I gave the wife the ‘gimme a minute’ sign, left her with the younger sibling and Jr and I walked into the gift shop to find an employee. Unbeknownst to me, my wife saw a concerned mother dragging around a child and searching the pavement just outside the gift shop and asked and learned that she was our person and sent her into the gift shop pointing me out. I was waiting at the counter and the lady caught my attention. She was able to reach into a bag and show me the items that were on the receipt so I smiled and said ‘Awesome’, handed the money over with a smile and got a high five from my boy. We don’t practice finders keepers in my house. I know that’s not the same as not getting an insane deal on a gun for sale, but if the seller is taking a substantial loss in the deal because of a mistake and a buyer would take advantage, it’s no less on the moral scale. Holding someone’s ethics hostage is worse in my opinion. Kinda along the lines of extortion as far as I’m concerned. If we’re talking about living by a code of conduct, being a stand up person and all.

Oh, and for the record, I did not start any thread. I asked a simple question in the first thread that was actually meant to make people stop and think.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

I remember being in my mid 20's and dating a very nice lady who was a single mother. One weekend we went to Fontainebleau State Park and the entrance fee was something real small like a few dollars per person but children under the age of 3 got in free. The little girl was 5 years old and for some dumb reason I thought I'd pull the genius move of telling the person at the window that the girl in the back seat was under 3.

As we pulled off the little girl started explaining that she wasn't 3 and that I told a lie and it absolutely crushed me. This little girl had better morals than my dumb adult ass. It really sat heavy with me and I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of it. What kind of man am I to poison a child's mind over a few dollars? I wish now that I would have driven back and gave told the lady the truth and gave her the extra money but I was young, dumb, and my pride couldn't take that hit.

I'm not quite young anymore but I'm still pretty dumb. I am glad that I learned a few things over the years though. There's a lot more important things in life than money and possessions and your soul benefits a hell of a lot more from feeding it generosity than greed.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I remember being in my mid 20's and dating a very nice lady who was a single mother. One weekend we went to Fontainebleau State Park and the entrance fee was something real small like a few dollars per person but children under the age of 3 got in free. The little girl was 5 years old and for some dumb reason I thought I'd pull the genius move of telling the person at the window that the girl in the back seat was under 3.

As we pulled off the little girl started explaining that she wasn't 3 and that I told a lie and it absolutely crushed me. This little girl had better morals than my dumb adult ass. It really sat heavy with me and I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of it. What kind of man am I to poison a child's mind over a few dollars? I wish now that I would have driven back and gave told the lady the truth and gave her the extra money but I was young, dumb, and my pride couldn't take that hit.

I'm not quite young anymore but I'm still pretty dumb. I am glad that I learned a few things over the years though. There's a lot more important things in life than money and possessions and your soul benefits a hell of a lot more from feeding it generosity than greed.

It would have been funnier if when you told the worker she was 3 the little girl corrected you and said she was 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If the tables were turned...

Let's say the seller and buyer came to an agreement on price and planned a meet-up. Prior to meeting for the sale, the buyer discovers that the item was grossly overpriced (I'm looking at you $500 Gen3 Glock 19) and that he was about to be taken to the cleaners, would it be ok for the buyer to back out of the sale?

The answer is "yes."

God only knows how many transactions I've had from this site - hundreds? Some have been weird and some smoother than others, but I have NEVER had a negative encounter.

Sh*t happens. Move on.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If the tables were turned...

Let's say the seller and buyer came to an agreement on price and planned a meet-up. Prior to meeting for the sale, the buyer discovers that the item was grossly overpriced (I'm looking at you $500 Gen3 Glock 19) and that he was about to be taken to the cleaners, would it be ok for the buyer to back out of the sale?

The answer is "yes."

God only knows how many transactions I've had from this site - hundreds? Some have been weird and some smoother than others, but I have NEVER had a negative encounter.

Sh*t happens. Move on.
    Agreed. If a deal is grossly unfair for one side, and that side agrees to walk away, I have no problem with it. It's called good business and not behind a dick.

Top Bottom