Question about the marketplace

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If the tables were turned...

Let's say the seller and buyer came to an agreement on price and planned a meet-up. Prior to meeting for the sale, the buyer discovers that the item was grossly overpriced (I'm looking at you $500 Gen3 Glock 19) and that he was about to be taken to the cleaners, would it be ok for the buyer to back out of the sale?

The answer is "yes."

God only knows how many transactions I've had from this site - hundreds? Some have been weird and some smoother than others, but I have NEVER had a negative encounter.

Sh*t happens. Move on.

I've asked that a few times to those who felt strongly that the seller should have sold it for a loss but they never seemed to see it so I don't believe it's been answered.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think it's still mostly good that comes from allowing replies but I wish the replies wouldn't bump the thread. But it seems that the issues that come from having replies are getting bigger and bigger.
    Once we move to new software it'll be fixed I think.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I remember being in my mid 20's and dating a very nice lady who was a single mother. One weekend we went to Fontainebleau State Park and the entrance fee was something real small like a few dollars per person but children under the age of 3 got in free. The little girl was 5 years old and for some dumb reason I thought I'd pull the genius move of telling the person at the window that the girl in the back seat was under 3.

As we pulled off the little girl started explaining that she wasn't 3 and that I told a lie and it absolutely crushed me. This little girl had better morals than my dumb adult ass. It really sat heavy with me and I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of it. What kind of man am I to poison a child's mind over a few dollars? I wish now that I would have driven back and gave told the lady the truth and gave her the extra money but I was young, dumb, and my pride couldn't take that hit.

I'm not quite young anymore but I'm still pretty dumb. I am glad that I learned a few things over the years though. There's a lot more important things in life than money and possessions and your soul benefits a hell of a lot more from feeding it generosity than greed.
    Hahahahaha!
    Busted by a 5 year old. That would do it for any decent person. You’re an honest man Bosco. You won’t get no shaming from me.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    A member who has Sour Grapes over the fact that;
    A uninformed seller was informed and he was unable to take advantage.
    This is not Gunbroker. eBay or another venue of that type
    Posting PMed or I will take it in thread does not win you the item for sale.
    Weather I am a buyer or seller up to the point that cash or items has changed hands you have the option to bow out for any reason.
    I know if I show up and am simply uncoftable with the sale I should have the option to no go on with it.
    Any normal person would understand that.

So so your moral standard is to take advantage of the uninformed?

No ,being a man of my word . I have sold **** that I had ****ed up on the pricing at a loss . My lesson learned . I will not agree to sell something to someone and then back out BECAUSE I F***ED UP.
    It just shows the true character of people.

Last edited:

King Ranch Man

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Slidell LA.
    I do believe if that if you are on this site, and you are going to list anything for sale and you don’t know what it’s worth do you research first, then post it! My personal thought is, he knew exactly what he was doing (he was starting a bidding process through private messages). He should have listed it on “GunBroker’s”, MALIBU12 I agree with your last post 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I do believe if that if you are on this site, and you are going to list anything for sale and you don’t know what it’s worth do you research first, then post it! My personal thought is, he knew exactly what he was doing (he was starting a bidding process through private messages). He should have listed it on *GunBroker’s*, MALIBU12 I agree with your last post 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I must have missed a fact or two after reading this thread, and then finally getting to read a partial of the sale thread that started this. I have a question. Did the seller agree to make the sale initially once first contacted by a motivated buyer?

Giddyup

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No ,being a man of my word . I have sold **** that I had ****ed up on the pricing at a loss . My lesson learned . I will not agree to sell something to someone and then back out BECAUSE I F***ED UP.

No, true character is acknowledging an honest mistake was made and not trying to take advantage of the one who made the mistake.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    I must have missed a fact or two after reading this thread, and then finally getting to read a partial of the sale thread that started this. I have a question. Did the seller agree to make the sale initially once first contacted by a motivated buyer?

Giddyup

Yes , they had a agreement.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

So if a member needs rent and posts a Glock 17 MOS new in box never fired $4.50 and you post PM sent he should sell to you for less than 5 bucks? To Man Up?
    When he wants $450?
    What I have learned is never to sell or buy with you as others have! Let it go! What ever is being sold is not yours till the $ changes hands period.
    It has been explained to you in many scenarios.
    Do not like the game do not play.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Do me a favor and delete my account . I don't want to be part of this shitshow an longer . To many other sites that have better standards to be associated with this mess .

You had an agreement in post #13 but are still posting in post #71
    That you were done here, but are still here.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    So if a member needs rent and posts a Glock 17 MOS new in box never fired $4.50 and you post PM sent he should sell to you for less than 5 bucks? To Man Up?
    When he wants $450?
    What I have learned is never to sell or buy with you as others have! Let it go! What ever is being sold is not yours till the $ changes hands period.

Well to begin with ******* . It wasn't my sale . It's the principle that a person that sell **** should at least know what they are selling .ESPECIALLY if they own a guns store .
    And since your word don't count for **** anyways . To the guys that stand by your word good luck dealing with the flock of tool admins . No wonder why the site has gone to **** .

Please ban me .

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    When he wants $450?

???
    When did rent and/or a typo come into the situation? What did I miss.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    His point is when the seller makes a mistake, would someone with integrity hold the seller to his word or would they recognize the seller made a mistake and accept it.

Okay, well it is not evident in the posted threads that the seller admitted a mistake in his posting and retracted the offer that was originally accepted. Possibly it is in the Redacted part of the post you referred to in this thread.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Okay, well it is not evident in the posted threads that the seller admitted a mistake in his posting and retracted the offer that was originally accepted. Possibly it is in the Redacted part of the post you referred to in this thread.

The post I referred to was not redacted. It was split. All of the original 8 posts were left as they were part of the ad. All of the remaining posts were moved to this thread. As per a post from AustinBR, the seller admitted to making a mistake. I do not know how/if that was noted in the original ad. As best I can tell, the seller, at minimum, reached out to the buyer and offered him the item at a bit less than market value. The buyer declined. It is unknown if the buyer made the same mistake as the seller (the buyer seems to claim he researched the item) or if the buyer knew the true value and simply lied to the seller to get a good deal. If it's the former, he should be more sympathetic as he seems to have made the same mistake as the seller. If it's the latter, well, as malibu12 pointed out, it just shows the true character of people. The referenced post from AustinBR is quoted below with the relevant portions bolded.

Further, I'll quote part of the message from the seller:

"I initially told the prospective purchaser that the research I was seeing indicated the item was selling for $675, as I was trying to do research without the gun in front of me. He responded: "And I do see they go around 675, is that your asking price as well?" Subsequently, I learned that the item I had researched was not the exact item I had for sale, which the law considers a "mistake of fact". So, either the Buyer was similarly mistaken as to the exact item or he was intentionally misleading me about the selling prices he was seeing for the item, when he said he also saw this item selling for $675. The item has been selling for $1400 and $1750 on gunbroker - as a show of good faith, I offered the item for $1,000, which is still significantly less than the market price. In response, he chose to post negative feedback, despite the fact Louisiana law would hold that we never had a binding agreement due to the mistake of fact by one or both of us."

If the potential buyer wants to repost neutral feedback, I'm okay with it. This isn't a case of someone breaking site rules or someone being a jerk in the marketplace. It's an example of one or both parties not knowing what was being sold and the sale being canceled as a result of that.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is great.

I'll bet it is. You're a bystander this time.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    When someone pulls a knife on you and you pull your firearm, there’s no doubt that both parties are about to lose.
    You get stuck and they get shot.
    No es bueno.

There is no winning in this thread.

A true Mexican standoff if ever I saw one.

Top Bottom