Looking for high density plywood. Construction pros please help me find some.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I know the construction pros on this site can tell me where I can find this type of plywood. It is used a lot in the construction trade where strength is a must such as concrete forms and other areas like this. If I could find a few used sheets that were in good shape I’d love that but if I need to buy a few new sheets I’m good with that also. I need it to be 5/8 inch thick (4x8 sheets). There has to be a store that sells this type plywood. I’m making some specialized bee equipment with it. All of the big beekeepers use this stuff. It last a long time plus it’s tough as all get out. Thanks for the help.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Is it a wood product? They use Coosa board in boat repairs, but it's not wood. Don't know if will mess up the bees.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Perhaps you are thinking about PlyForm, used to make concrete forms. PlyForm has a surface that is moisture resistant and has a releasing agent applied. Ordinary plywood has an open-cell face that absorbs finishes, for example.

Or, there is MDO and HDO. Medium Density Overlay (MDO) and High Density Overlay (HDO) Plywood (also called signboard) are engineered wood panels, originally designed for sign makers. However, they are gaining popularity for other purposes.

Norm Abram (This Old House, The New Yankee Workshop) was fond of using MDO for some projects.

PlyForm is actually MDO with a special face.

Unfortunately, PlyForm only comes in 3/4”. However, MDO and HDO are available in sizes from 1/2” to 1-1/2”. MDO/HDO is typically available from dealers who sell to the signage industry. Any larger lumber yard that sells other APA plywood products can order it. Home Depot even claims they can get it but I am skeptical and suspect that it will have a huge shipping charge. Lumber Companies that sell to cabinet makers often have it. For example, Service Lumber in Baton Rouge.

CMC Construction Services (formerly Construction Materials Inc.) has branches all over and sells PlyForm.

Be aware that PlyForm, MDO and HDO are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than regular plywood. PlyForm is made to be used over and over. Sometimes you can find scraps on construction sites. Some cabinet companies will let you take their scraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom