9x19 for deer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't understand!?! What makes people go out of their way and look for inconvenient ways to kill animals when there are so many proven, efficient, and humane methods? If killing a deer is that mysterious to you, you probably shouldn't be hunting.

People can do what they want but I would tell the guy wanting to use a 9mm; "that's stupid!"

And the clown shooting deer with a .22lr, should be in jail! I would definitely drop a dime on him if I saw that!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    In some states it's legal to hunt deer with air rifles with 357 as one of the calibers.
    The 9mm in a carbine will exceed the velocity and energy of a 357/9mm caliber air rifle.
    Heck, a 9mm pistol will exceed the velocity and energy of the 357/9mm air rifle.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well...I've seen it done. Perfect spine shot from elevation with a Glock 17 (can't remember the load). Shot placement is king, but....

There are clearly much better choices. :)

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i do not plan to hunt deer with a 9x18. just to be clear.

the energy with a carbine is pushing .357 magnum pistol levels, which i have hunted with, alot.

if i was i would have to do a lot of research on the right projectile and powder combo, as i sure as **** would not use a factory load.

something people forget is that the common rifle and handgun rounds these days are monster compared to the early 1900s. heck the .44-40 put down crap tons of deer for a long time and it was around 1000fps and 500ftlb at the muzzle.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    i do not plan to hunt deer with a 9x18. just to be clear.

the energy with a carbine is pushing .357 magnum pistol levels, which i have hunted with, alot.

if i was i would have to do a lot of research on the right projectile and powder combo, as i sure as **** would not use a factory load.

something people forget is that the common rifle and handgun rounds these days are monster compared to the early 1900s. heck the .44-40 put down crap tons of deer for a long time and it was around 1000fps and 500ftlb at the muzzle.

Yeah,One can load up to a 180gr.projectile in the ol 357,Try that with a 9x19,Just as soon get a Piers Morgan ''Musket'' lol

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    ...And the clown shooting deer with a .22lr, should be in jail! I would definitely drop a dime on him if I saw that!

No one has mentioned hunting with .22LR, I mentioned I euthanized captive deer at a range of feet, rather than yards to illustrate that small calibers can kill deer, but it is still not an advised hunting round.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    No one has mentioned hunting with .22LR, I mentioned I euthanized captive deer at a range of feet, rather than yards to illustrate that small calibers can kill deer, but it is still not an advised hunting round.

they caught a guy in maine several years ago poaching moose with a cricket. iirc he would wait till they were swimming in a lake and drive up behind them.

gemihur

Newbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Roanoke, VA
    Use more not less!
    I prefer a 375 JDJ for whitetails... and rarely witness game exiting the scene.
    Contrary to popular belief, very little tissue damage is experienced.

Attachments

• JDJ named Sue med.jpg
      JDJ named Sue med.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 121

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Calm down, Daddy! :p

Beau Etienne stated he saw some douche trigger bumping deer with a .22Lr. That is what I was referring! ;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    they caught a guy in maine several years ago poaching moose with a cricket. iirc he would wait till they were swimming in a lake and drive up behind them.

While I hate to say anything nice about a poacher, dang if that ain’t effective. I’ve heard similar with whitetail except they would hold their heads under while they were swimming.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Use more not less!
    I prefer a 375 JDJ for whitetails... and rarely witness game exiting the scene.
    Contrary to popular belief, very little tissue damage is experienced.

ive killed 1 deer with .45/70govt load. clean in and out holes, 2 broken shoulders, 2 punctured lungs. not too much bone fragments either.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Did you try a moose call?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's rather amazing what you will see out in the wild. We were running jugs one night and saw an albino gator near the launch.

The buck swimming towards to the lake was odd though. We just sat there thinking "where does that idiot think he's going?"

Top Bottom