Ok which one? And why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’ve been back and forth on guns for quite some time, but I’m certain I want a savage 110 in 30-06 as my next hunting rifle. Call me a fud if you want.

So here are the top flavors of 110 on the venerable aught 6:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/104412/redirect

and

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/52222/redirect

If you don’t care to click one is the apex Hunter with a vortex crossfire (no deal maker or breaker) and the other is the Storm.

Here is what I’ve ascertained:

I’ve held the storm and it’s a solid rifle for the price the stainless is a pro. The ‘accufit’ adjustable comb height may be a little over blown but a solid looking and feeling gun.

The apex comes with a scope that isn’t the worst but doesn’t blow my skirt up either. However it is a scope that I could rotate to a less frequently used weapon. It’s also $170 cheaper before you account for a $100+ scope.

They both are bedded in aluminum blocks something you normally find in Bell and Carson, HS, McMillen, or Choate stock. Is it on the same level? Likely not, but it’s more than any factory build in those price points offers.

Both bolts are advertised as jeweled.

Same triggers.

I can’t leave well enough alone so upgraded parts is a distinct possibility and there is really no shortage of parts for them so I’m not sure I could go wrong with either.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Why only Savage?
    Why only .30-06?
    How far are you shooting?
    What are you shooting?

Out of the two, I would pick the Storm.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Just make sure the stocks have the bedding, and they come with accutriggers unless you are replacing.

If your mind is made up, the only two other things I would look at are 1) barrel profile and threaded (if needed) 2) Weight differences between the two since it's for hunting

You can usually get a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9-x40 for around $100. Don't let the scope or lack thereof be a factor

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Just make sure the stocks have the bedding, and they come with accutriggers unless you are replacing.

If your mind is made up, the only two other things I would look at are 1) barrel profile and threaded (if needed) 2) Weight differences between the two since it's for hunting

You can usually get a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9-x40 for around $100. Don't let the scope or lack thereof be a factor

Yeah I have a use for the crossfire elsewhere so to compare the guns fairly (caution naval gazing ahead) I would need to deduct $100 from the cost of the apex hunter, so from what I can tell its a $270 premium for stainless and an adjustable comb.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Why only Savage?
    Why only .30-06?
    How far are you shooting?
    What are you shooting?

Out of the two, I would pick the Storm.

I’m definitely interested in why?

We could have a side discussion on the ‘06 and the savage part of the conversation but I really want to focus this discussion on is the Storm worth the extra coin and why.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’m definitely interested in why?

We could have a side discussion on the ‘06 and the savage part of the conversation but I really want to focus this discussion on is the Storm worth the extra coin and why.

The Storm is a half pound lighter and has an overmold stock with adjustable comb height.

The Apex Hunter has a plain synthetic stock, includes a junk optic, and is heavier than the Storm.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The Storm is a half pound lighter and has an overmold stock with adjustable comb height.

The Apex Hunter has a plain synthetic stock, includes a junk optic, and is heavier than the Storm.

But that doesn’t take into account the weight of the scope, rings or rail. The crossfire II is 15oz so if weight is a big factor for you the apex would be lighter with equal optics. I do like the idea of an adjustable comb but the fix comb doesn’t look terrible either. And over mold would be nice and grippy on those colder mornings.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    But that doesn’t take into account the weight of the scope, rings or rail. The crossfire II is 15oz so if weight is a big factor for you the apex would lighter with equal optics. I do like the idea of an adjustable comb but the fix comb does look bad either. And over mold would be nice and grippy on those colder mornings.

My personal recommendation would be other rifles altogether, but you said you're not interested in that.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t see how either rifle wouldn’t work as a hunting rifle. To be fair they’re both 110’s which are proven to be low cost performers from everything I heard. But I’ve never used a 110 so my opinion is only subjective.

The side discussion was more interesting to me. What exactly is the perceived problem with the 30-06 cartridge?

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don’t see how either rifle wouldn’t work as a hunting rifle. To be fair they’re both 110’s which are proven to be low cost performers from everything I heard. But I’ve never used a 110 so my opinion is only subjective.

The side discussion was more interesting to me. What exactly is the perceived problem with the 30-06 cartridge?

Dave

It's just an inferior round compared to something like .50BMG, .338, or the 40mm, especially when hunting squirrels or rabbits. Honestly you should probably consider the .950JDJ if the critter is bigger than a small snake or something like a squirrel.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Dave

What is the perceived issue with other cartridges?
    Why do you perceive that there is an issue with .30-06?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It's just an inferior round compared to something like .50BMG, .338, or the 40mm, especially when hunting squirrels or rabbits. Honestly you should probably consider the .950JDJ if the critter is bigger than a small snake or something like a squirrel.

You are correct lol. Although Carlos Hathcock did quite well with an old Winchester .30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I am not .much for TV Shows.
    But I look at that Alaska show with my wife when she gas it on.
    Otto Kilcher
    Hunts everything with a,30 06 and up there they have some large game and long shots.
    The Native Alaska woman hunts with Mosin 7.62x54R think it is one off the e better ones made by the Finns
    She takes so.e long shots with open sights and takes some game down.
    No Uber fancy stuff there something just doing it's job.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My personal recommendation would be other rifles altogether, but you said you're not interested in that.

Hoping I phrase this right...

You tend to have high end boutique taste which that is nothing wrong with that, and I’m a value/bang for my buck guy. We both like quality thats why I take note of your opinions.

Being a value/bang for my buck guy and a tinkerer the middle ground usually pulls me in. Knowing I can do things myself to upgrade as I go, with a serviceable platform to work with is where I prefer to be. Sure I could commission a custom 700 clone and spend a couple grand or find a boutique gun that checks all the boxes, but that’s not me and that’s not a prudent use of my money.

I lean towards the storm over the apex because I also see little things like bottom metal instead of plastic and polishable surfaces inside the receiver, over molding, and comb. I’ve honestly been trying to talk myself down to the apex.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Hoping I phrase this right...

You tend to have high end boutique taste which that is nothing wrong with that, and I’m a value/bang for my buck guy. We both like quality thats why I take note of your opinions.

Being a value/bang for my buck guy and a tinkerer the middle ground usually pulls me in. Knowing I can do things myself to upgrade as I go, with a serviceable platform to work with is where I prefer to be. Sure I could commission a custom 700 clone and spend a couple grand or find a boutique gun that checks all the boxes, but that’s not me and that’s not a prudent just of my money.

I lean towards the storm over the apex because I also see little things like bottom metal instead of plastic and polishable surfaces inside the receiver, over molding, and comb. I’ve honestly been trying to talk myself down to the apex.

I do have a taste for higher end things, so there is no denying that, but I still carry a plain Glock every now and then. However, I'm more concerned with finding a good fit for the role than if it's expensive or not.

My recommendation would not be a custom 700 action, that's a bit overkill for most people. What you should be doing is find a caliber and justify your reasoning for it. Then calculate your budget. Explore all options in that price range and caliber.

As an example, you can look into the Ruger American series. Those run around $400 and can easily be customized.
    Or you can spend a bit more and look into the offerings from Tikka.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

Dave

I met a guy on the internet 'Bart B.' IIRC. He was an older guy the was into highpower shooting since the X ring was called a V Bull.
    Essentially there were 4 things wrong with the .30-06 when it came to accuracy.
    1- It was over a 100 years old and not some new fangled cartridge popular with young whipper snappers
    2 - Was filling the case
    3 - Correct burn rate needed for M1 Garand
    4 - Shoulder angle of the case

1-3 were either solvable or a non-issue. #4 was the only real issue in his humble opinion.

First thing I look at with a given caliber bullet is the choice of bullets available. Essentially I want hunting and match bullets available. Not a deal breaker on a hunting rifle though.

My brother switched from .30-06 to .243 and never looked back. The .30-06 was my dad's so it was a hand me down. The .243 was won in a raffle. So much for complicated caliber choices. He likes the .243 size when in brush.

Being a Savage changing the barrel would not be hard. At one time Savage action only were available, but probably just as much as the whole rifle.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I do have a taste for higher end things, so there is no denying that, but I still carry a plain Glock every now and then. However, I'm more concerned with finding a good fit for the role than if it's expensive or not.

My recommendation would not be a custom 700 action, that's a bit overkill for most people. What you should be doing is find a caliber and justify your reasoning for it. Then calculate your budget. Explore all options in that price range and caliber.

As an example, you can look into the Ruger American series. Those run around $400 and can easily be customized.
    Or you can spend a bit more and look into the offerings from Tikka.

I met a guy on the internet 'Bart B.' IIRC. He was an older guy the was into highpower shooting since the X ring was called a V Bull.
    Essentially there were 4 things wrong with the .30-06 when it came to accuracy.
    1- It was over a 100 years old and not some new fangled cartridge popular with young whipper snappers
    2 - Was filling the case
    3 - Correct burn rate needed for M1 Garand
    4 - Shoulder angle of the case

1-3 were either solvable or a non-issue. #4 was the only real issue in his humble opinion.

First thing I look at with a given caliber bullet is the choice of bullets available. Essentially I want hunting and match bullets available. Not a deal breaker on a hunting rifle though.

My brother switched from .30-06 to .243 and never looked back. The .30-06 was my dad's so it was a hand me down. The .243 was won in a raffle. So much for complicated caliber choices. He likes the .243 size when in brush.

Being a Savage changing the barrel would not be hard. At one time Savage action only were available, but probably just as much as the whole rifle.

This is why I wanted a very narrow discussion. I’ve been through cartridge selection I been through platform. I have my reasons for both.

30-06
    Is the most common and easily available hunting round on the planet.

It can be range in grain weight from 120-220 in the same gun.

It’s something I already stock

And despite common belief the 308 isn’t ‘just as good.’

30cal is big enough for the biggest game on this continent.

There is no doubt there are more efficient cartridges but the commonality of the 30-06 is important. If I’m halfway across the continent on a hunt and realize I don’t have ammo it’s 30-06, if you can’t find it on the shelf they probably don’t sell ammo. Can’t say the same for my wildcats that I enjoy.

Savage 110
    It’s pillar bedded.

It uses pre-fit barrels.

It uses a floating bolt head.

It May come with an adjustable comb (Jury is still out)

1 and 4 are value out the gate.

2 and 3 bring value as I tinker.

People liken the 700 vs 110 to Ford vs Chevy. As I see it Ford offered me more value (things I cared for anyway) for my money than Chevy did last time I bought a truck and it looks like Savage is doing so now.

I’m not throwing shade or Ruger or Remington or Chevy for that matter, I just found my F150 and expect to find the 110 to be better suited for me.

If practicality and money were irrelevant I would have a custom built boom stick in 26 Nosler with a carbon barrel.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom