Ok which one? And why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What is the perceived issue with other cartridges?
    Why do you perceive that there is an issue with .30-06?

I’m not a guy that does all the online social media stuff. The OP said something about call me a Fudd if you want. Now I might’ve misunderstood but I took that to be something negative about 30-06. So I was curious what people thought was wrong with 30-06.

Or was it a case of it not the newest, most best-est thing so everything old is crap? Personally I think it’s a pretty great cartridge.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is why I wanted a very narrow discussion. I’ve been through cartridge selection I been through platform. I have my reasons for both.

30-06
    Is the most common and easily available hunting round on the planet.

It can be range in grain weight from 120-220 in the same gun.

It’s something I already stock

And despite common belief the 308 isn’t ‘just as good.’

30cal is big enough for the biggest game on this continent.

There is no doubt there are more efficient cartridges but the commonality of the 30-06 is important. If I’m halfway across the continent on a hunt and realize I don’t have ammo it’s 30-06, if you can’t find it on the shelf they probably don’t sell ammo. Can’t say the same for my wildcats that I enjoy.

Savage 110
    It’s pillar bedded.

It uses pre-fit barrels.

I used a floating bolt head.

It May come with an adjustable comb (Jury is still out)

1 and 4 are value out the gate.

2 and 3 bring value as I tinker.

People liken the 700 vs 110 to Ford vs Chevy. As I see it Ford offered me more value (things I cared for anyway) for my money than Chevy did last time I bought a truck and it looks like Savage is doing so now.

I’m not throwing shade or Ruger or Remington or Chevy for that matter, I just found my F150 and expect to find the 110 to be better suited for me.

If practicality and money were irrelevant I would have a custom built boom stick in 26 Nosler with a carbon barrel.

I agree with everything you said about 30-06. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Dave

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m not a guy that does all the online social media stuff. The OP said something about call me a Fudd if you want. Now I might’ve misunderstood but I took that to be something negative about 30-06. So I was curious what people thought was wrong with 30-06.

Or was it a case of it not the newest, most best-est thing so everything old is crap? Personally I think it’s a pretty great cartridge.

Dave

I agree with everything you said about 30-06. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Dave

No worries brother it was bound to happen. And you are right. I perceive a stigma on the 30-06, but it’s not just perceived. The high speed guys and the product pushers laugh at grandpa and his 30-06 or 270 because they perceive newer cartridges to have replaced it. The problem is they want to compare a garand compatible cartridge to other modern cartridges with modern power. The only fault I find is unburned power on sub 26 inch barrels which is why I like the twist-off barrel being an option for later.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’m of the opinion that you should stock your preferred ammunition.

Availability and commonality isn’t a huge concern personally when talking about a rifle with a specific purpose.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Availability and commonality isn’t a huge concern personally when talking about a rifle with a specific purpose.

Yes you should but am I the only guy who drove an hour or two to hunt only to realize I left the ammunition back home? I like to hunt with common rounds. Shot placement is the most important aspect in my humble opinion.

There I go again hijacking the thread. I’ll try to quit.

Dave

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yes you should but am I the only guy who drove an hour or two to hunt only to realize I left the ammunition back home? I like to hunt with common rounds. Shot placement is the most important aspect in my humble opinion.

There I go again hijacking the thread. I’ll try to quit.

Dave

Nope done it too. Left my release twice now too. Ammo has happened a couple times over the years. I keep a couple boxes at camp just in case.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Im not willing to handicap myself per se. if 9mm was the only commonly sold ammo I wouldn’t build or buy a hunting rifle that uses 9mm, but 30-06 is a solid round in its own right. Choosing it over 6.5g or creed or 300 wsm, or 6mm prc isn’t the kick in the dick I think you may perceive it is. There a tons of great options, from my experience 30-06 will do everything I ask but with the added benefit of have hundreds of factory ammo options and availability pretty much anywhere. That means trying various factory loads would require quite some much waiting on the fedex truck.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It May come with an adjustable comb (Jury is still out)

People liken the 700 vs 110 to Ford vs Chevy. As I see it Ford offered me more value (things I cared for anyway) for my money than Chevy did last time I bought a truck and it looks like Savage is doing so now.

I have 2 rifles I made adjustable cheek pieces for. I love them - but - not what I would call snag free. Mine are adjustable with not tools. So I can drop it all the way or move it up or down incrementally. It is only a comfort issue if you are laying on a rifle for long periods.

The reasons 700 style action are so popular is because they are readily gunsmithed in the US. So to some degree they are popular because they are popular. It is a legacy thing to some degree.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I have 2 rifles I made adjustable cheek pieces for. I love them - but - not what I would call snag free. Mine are adjustable with not tools. So I can drop it all the way or move it up or down incrementally. It is only a comfort issue if you are laying on a rifle for long periods.

The reasons 700 style action are so popular is because they are readily gunsmithed in the US. So to some degree they are popular because they are popular. It is a legacy thing to some degree.

The ‘accufit’ isn’t on the fly adjustable so you would set lop and comb height to fit for your most common positions and leave it. And store the extra pieces in case you change your mind. It’s really not that fancy but has some value.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You are correct lol. Although Carlos Hathcock did quite well with an old Winchester .30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He did Very Well.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have a Savage 11 in .243 - very accurate gun

.270 is great in all areas except bullet selection as you have pointed out with .30-06

.30-06 is a great cartridge but just may be overkill for deer or your distance shooting. Also, it's a long action. I'm a big fan of .308. I would think today there's more variety of it on the shelf, but get the cartridge you are the most comfortable with

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Im not willing to handicap myself per se. if 9mm was the only commonly sold ammo I wouldn’t build or buy a hunting rifle that uses 9mm, but 30-06 is a solid round in its own right. Choosing it over 6.5g or creed or 300 wsm, or 6mm prc isn’t the kick in the dick I think you may perceive it is. There a tons of great options, from my experience 30-06 will do everything I ask but with the added benefit of have hundreds of factory ammo options and availability pretty much anywhere. That means trying various factory loads would require quite some much waiting on the fedex truck.

Ironically, I wouldn’t have even recommended any of those calibers.

That is why I asked how far you were shooting. I know you’re in a different area now, but everyone around here think they need a .300 win mag to pop a 140 lb doe at 25 yards.

I wouldn’t recommend .300 win mag or even 6.5 creedmore unless you were shooting out to 5-600 yards.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I have a Savage 11 in .243 - very accurate gun

.270 is great in all areas except bullet selection as you have pointed out with .30-06

.30-06 is a great cartridge but just may be overkill for deer or your distance shooting. Also, it's a long action. I'm a big fan of .308. I would think today there's more variety of it on the shelf, but get the cartridge you are the most comfortable with

Well yeah I suppose it could be but I mentioned an outlaw the other day that gets the job done with a .17. He might think a .223 is overkill. I’m aiming for the heart if I’m off I’ve got meat loss with my 30-06 that I use now. But I’ve never lost enough meat to feel guilty using too much gun. I have been off with less powerful rounds and was sick because I lost the whole deer.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ironically, I wouldn’t have even recommended any of those calibers.

That is why I asked how far you were shooting. I know you’re in a different area now, but everyone around here think they need a .300 win mag to pop a 140 lb doe at 25 yards.

I wouldn’t recommend .300 win mag or even 6.5 creedmore unless you were shooting out to 5-600 yards.

Both good cartridges. I have a right handed bolt in 6.5 well my wife does. Cartridge selection is getting better on the shelves. I’ve nothing bad to say about the winmag but they are expensive and kick a little more than the 30-06. I’ve had shots on our property 500-600yrds but I’m not taking that on a whitetail. I’m not that good. I stay inside 300 because my skill set doesn’t warrant further on a game animal. Not saying I wouldn’t take the shot on nuisance animals or targets.

I have serious considered the creedmore for myself though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Both good cartridges. I have a right handed bolt in 6.5 well my wife does. Cartridge selection is getting better on the shelves. I’ve nothing bad to say about the winmag but they are expensive and kick a little more than the 30-06. I’ve had shots on our property 500-600yrds but I’m not taking that on a whitetail. I’m not that good. I stay inside 300 because my skill set doesn’t warrant further on a game animal. Not saying I wouldn’t take the shot on nuisance animals or targets.

I have serious considered the creedmore for myself though.

That’s why I asked about distance.

The majority of people in Louisiana sit in their blind playing on their phone till a deer decides to munch on their food plot. Then they steady their rifle in a rest and crack the shot at 20 yards.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I’ve been back and forth on guns for quite some time, but I’m certain I want a savage 110 in 30-06 as my next hunting rifle. Call me a fud if you want.

So here are the top flavors of 110 on the venerable aught 6:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/104412/redirect

and

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/52222/redirect

If you don’t care to click one is the apex Hunter with a vortex crossfire (no deal maker or breaker) and the other is the Storm.

Here is what I’ve ascertained:

I’ve held the storm and it’s a solid rifle for the price the stainless is a pro. The ‘accufit’ adjustable comb height may be a little over blown but a solid looking and feeling gun.

The apex comes with a scope that isn’t the worst but doesn’t blow my skirt up either. However it is a scope that I could rotate to a less frequently used weapon. It’s also $170 cheaper before you account for a $100+ scope.

They both are bedded in aluminum blocks something you normally find in Bell and Carson, HS, McMillen, or Choate stock. Is it on the same level? Likely not, but it’s more than any factory build in those price points offers.

Both bolts are advertised as jeweled.

Same triggers.

I can’t leave well enough alone so upgraded parts is a distinct possibility and there is really no shortage of parts for them so I’m not sure I could go wrong with either.

If I had you're type of money,I'd buy both.

Try em' out and then sell the one you don't want on B.S with a 100.00 mark-up,Lefty !

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That’s why I asked about distance.

The majority of people in Louisiana sit in their blind playing on their phone till a deer decides to munch on their food plot. Then they steady their rifle in a rest and crack the shot at 20 yards.

Yeah I cover a lot of ground when I’m rifle hunting. I’ve missed a few opportunities because I was cat napping or texting. I spend most of my time in the stand constant scanning for movement.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah I cover a lot of ground when I’m rifle hunting. I’ve missed a few opportunities because I was cat napping or texting. I spend most of my time in the stand constant scanning for movement.

That's also why I was hinting at a lightweight short action.

Top Bottom