Ok which one? And why?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That's also why I was hinting at a lightweight short action.

Yeah sub 10lbs is a winner in my book. Long vs short isn’t much weight difference the guns a .05lbs difference. Because I have a wealth of cartridges readily available I did a little less than scientific study. I took 10 round of 30-06, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmore. I climbed onto the bathroom scale and these are the results.
    Me 215.8lbs
    Me and a payload of 10 rounds of 30-06 216.8lbs 180grain lead nose fusions
    Me and a payload of 10 rounds of 6.5G 216.8lbs 120grain lead nose fusions
    Me and a payload of 10 rounds of 6.5C 216.8lbs 125grain tipped

Now I know the scale isn’t very sensitive but we are talking grams. I know grams add up to ounces and ounces add to pounds but. 20 rounds per person on a big game hunt is plenty. So at most we may have a .15 extra pounds of ammo and receiver.

Update

As a reference a 2 serving mountain house freeze dried meal weighs .27lbs. So the most the the 30-06 option would weigh over the other calibers I compared it to is less than one freeze dried meal.

Last edited:

1wise1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Carrollton, Texas
    Ummmm what's your intended style of use?

Will you be perched in a blind all day or slogging through muddy fields in search of a deer?
    Yeah... pick the lighter of the 2.

Will your be hoping to hit the deer at 70 yards, 100 ...? Will it be at the outer reach of a plowed field or walking among a dense forest of 2 to 16 inch oak trees?

Are you "vanity hunting" looking to quickly post your kill on the internet or a shooter board, or hoping to harvest 45 to 60 pounds of Venison for your family's protein needs this fall?

Guns are guns.... all shoot a projectile at a certain speed (hopefully) into a target which falls within your range of dragging endurance.

Hunting is a not a sex act performed in a trendy night club with scantily clad women oooohing and ahhhhhing at your trigger control. Think Carpenter... or painter.... which hammer will drive the nail, which brush will put the paint on with the least cover strokes ???

Get over the Prancing and preening... You are buying a tool... not a Maserati or Ferrari... those guys are Russians or Saudi Princlings... they will buy 6 or 60 cases of whatever you want and maybe let you have one at 120 percent ...

Guns are a tool... last time I looked not a badge of courage or achievement. Which tool fits your needs?

Everything else is boasting for the bar.... and nobody gives a crap about what the other guy says... Get what you like... If it is a purple Plymouth or Pea Green Chevy Equinox you chose it... live with it. (it will still run 92 mph downhill on a dry highway)

Top Bottom