Bear Creek Arsenal .300BLK Kaboom

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Was this done with factory ammunition, or with re-loads/gunshow re-loads?

I'm guessing squibs combined with operator error and an out of spec lower that allowed an OOB.

Factory ammunition.

The lower receiver would not cause the bolt to be out of battery.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Factory ammunition.

The lower receiver would not cause the bolt to be out of battery.

You're right.

The bolt has to be turned and in the Carrier for the firing pin to reach the primer.
    Either there was a high primer, or that cartridge was in battery at the time the firing pin struck the primer.

I'm still thinking that with multiple projectile remains in the barrel, there was an operator problem.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You're right.

The bolt has to be turned and in the Carrier for the firing pin to reach the primer.
    Either there was a high primer, or that cartridge was in battery at the time the firing pin struck the primer.

I'm still thinking that with multiple projectile remains in the barrel, there was an operator problem.

The "squibs" are not typical squibs. The lead core was ejected from the barrel, but the jacket was stuck. If you look at the first jacket, it's split as if the core ripped straight through it. The second jacket is similar. The third must have piled up and kaboom. This could have been caused by short headspace in addition to the squibs.

If it went bang, the case ejected, and a projectile came out of the barrel, would you think to check for the bullet's jacket in the barrel? You and I both know what a squib sounds like and I bet this one didn't sound like that.

49871795217_8618b12c00_b.jpg

49871795137_8aabbeaf2c_b.jpg

49871795217_8618b12c00_b.jpg

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I (Rob) will have a new "report" early next week regarding the BCA Upper that had the catastrophic malfunction. We are a busy shop and have a lot going on.

Please be patient and please stay tuned!

-Rob

We shall see next week.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Stills from a video update:

This is one of the rounds that were being fired. Two rounds were still lodged in the magazine when it went kaboom. He was shooting super sonic .300 BLK factory ammunition that had jacketed projectiles. The rear of the bullet was open, as is with most jacketed (not plated) rounds. Somehow, the first two bullets lost their jacket in the barrel, the lead core shot out, and the gun cycled. On the third round, everything stacked up and went kaboom. If they were true squibs and were before the gas port (as they are) the gun wouldn't have cycled. So I'm not entirely chalking this one up as user error.

The gun went bang and cycled.

49875050312_832e8266bf_o.png

49874740871_cb60a47c3d_o.png

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    In the first picture, it looks like all of the copper jackets are before the gas port so it doesn't seem like it would have cycled correctly unless enough gas was let through when the lead core ejected.

Sounds like an ammo issue to me I really want to know the brand of ammo the guy was using as jacket/core separation should not be happening in the barrel.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I wonder if the bore is slightly undersized? The jacket is basically jamming in the bore due to the pointed bullet shape guiding it in, and since the jacket does not cover the back of the bullet, the lead core is taking all of the pressure from the cartridge and forcing the lead core through the front of the jacket and down the barrel, past the gas port, allowing the rifle to cycle the next round.

The jacket of the 1st bullet went far enough down the barrel to give the 2nd bullet some space before it got stuck and ejected its core, which let the gun cycle the 3rd round. Then the 3rd round did the same as the other two, but there was not enough space for it to do anything but rupture the case.

Were there any pics of the bolt?

And could we be looking at out of spec ammo, slightly over sized jacketed bullets?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wonder if the bore is slightly undersized? The jacket is basically jamming in the bore due to the pointed bullet shape guiding it in, and since the jacket does not cover the back of the bullet, the lead core is taking all of the pressure from the cartridge and forcing the lead core through the front of the jacket and down the barrel, past the gas port, allowing the rifle to cycle the next round.

The jacket of the 1st bullet went far enough down the barrel to give the 2nd bullet some space before it got stuck and ejected its core, which let the gun cycle the 3rd round. Then the 3rd round did the same as the other two, but there was not enough space for it to do anything but rupture the case.

Were there any pics of the bolt?

And could we be looking at out of spec ammo, slightly over sized jacketed bullets?

Supposedly there is a groove in the barrel that the jackets caught on. He mentioned it in one of the videos. It's odd for sure.

I have pics of the upper and bolt. I'll upload them.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Supposedly there is a groove in the barrel that the jackets caught on. He mentioned it in one of the videos. It's odd for sure.

I have pics of the upper and bolt. I'll upload them.

So round 151 was either a little out of spec or the first round on the extreme large end of in-spec and the first one to get caught on the groove? Did he get any pictures of the groove? I can't see anything in the pictures although I do realize they are web quality and not high resolution. Also, in the attached picture, borrowed from your first post, was a finer cut made on the right and a thicker cut made on the right? I'm trying to figure out the lines where the first stuck round starts.

49868351488_084544970d_h.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Also, in the attached picture, borrowed from your first post, was a finer cut made on the right and a thicker cut made on the right? I'm trying to figure out the lines where the first stuck round starts.

It was EDM cut, so I don't know why there is a line. It looks like it was where the stopped cutting and started again. Not sure why they would do that though.

Top Bottom