Maybe I'm an A-hole

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    And everyone says why yes of course you are, but why did you realize it now?

As I've mentioned before I'm a numbers guy, so when I make a big purchase I spend some time doing the online shopping thing. I want the best deal I can find. Who doesn't?

Anyway

My family has out grown our travel trailer. It was a post flood purchase and has been good to us but with another progeny on the way we are hunting a bunk house unit. So I've got a unit in mind and have proceeded to look around within a weekend trip.

So, I reached out to a semi-local to me dealer requesting a price. Shortly after that I found a smoking deal on the same floor-plan with pretty similar options. I told him the price and asked if they price matched the following is the silly back and forth that took place.

Him:
    Good afternoon Mr. Smith,
    How are you today? I wanted to share some more info on the Grey Wolf 29TE. I sent you a spec sheet via text. But some of the packages are very vague on what they include. So below, I have included a link to what they are. Scroll to about mid page and you will see the packages list. Just click on those for more info. The camper industry has blown up due to the Covid-19 and the temporary halt on camper manufacturing. So if this is the one you love, please set up an appointment with me asap, that way you don't miss out. Feel free to contact with any questions or to set up the appointment.

Me:
    Not sure what happened but I never received a spec sheet via text. Could you email it? Also I’m definitely interested in this floorplan but like most people since internet shopping became an option am looking far and wide for the best deal available. I’m currently looking at a 29TE 4 states away for 20,200.00. It has an msrp of $34,500, so it’s not a stripped down unit. If you don’t mind shoot me the build sheet and let me know what price I can expect.

Him:
    I have attached the spec sheet. I got a text from the number I tried calling you at saying "You must be sending this to wrong number". I have 555-555-5555
    . I don't know how much wiggle room is in the price, probably not a lot. Some of our products have been going up in price due to high demand and the factories shutting down for two months. Let me know when you can come in to see it in person and we can run over the figures while you are there.

Me:
    Yeah its 555-555-5455. Looks like yours has 6-700 more in options. I would expect the price to be proportionally more. I don’t want to be too forward but I intend on have 90% of this deal made before I make the drive anywhere to see the trailer. If you are uncomfortable with that I understand.

Him:
    Good afternoon Mr Smith,

We can do that no problem. First step is to send you a credit app, as I'm assuming you want to finance. The link is at the bottom. If you are a cash buyer then ignore the credit app and please respond (whether financing or not) with answers to the following questions.

1. What name do you want the title to read?
    2. What address do you want the title to be sent to?
    3. How much do you want to put down and where are you hoping to keep your monthly payments?
    4. What is the year make model & specs of your tow vehicle or do you want it delivered?
    5. If towing, do you need hitch work? Are you set up with a brake controller and 7-way plug?

After that I became much more direct.

Now the deal I quoted is a smoking deal but locally we are talking 24k so its not unrealistic considering they swap the title year in April and May in the RV industry (another words 2021's are hitting the lots). I as one might expect I'm willing to pay a little premium to buy close to home, but I can't even get the guy to the table.
    :dunno:

Last edited:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    You don’t sound like an a-hole. He wants to talk about everything but price. The whole game of let’s figure out what you want to pay monthly is bullsh*t. I’m not getting raked over the coals on total cost or financing forever so you can fit it my monthly budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    The markup in campers is around 50% of the msrp, I have bought a couple at 40% off msrp; they will not deal on the phone; go look in person, offer your best price and be prepared to walk away; don't play the 'i want to be your friend' game with them, don't give contact info either; Tell them up front they have 1 shot at a sale; RVs have been breaking sales records for the past few years, slow now cause of economy;; price difference between a 2020 and 2021 prob not $100, The last day of the month is best chance for best price

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Also beware of 'dealer add ons, like protective coatings, scothgarded furniture, etc.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    They are trying to get you in the door so they can hard sell you. Go in with your price firm in your mind and walk out if they don't give it to you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If they don't want to deal with me over the phone or via email, it's usually a sign that I need to talk to their competitor who wants my business more.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If they don't want to deal with me over the phone or via email, it's usually a sign that I need to talk to their competitor who wants my business more.

Yeah it’s just discouraging how many crap sales people you have to go through before you find one willing to actually deal. I’m not bothered by people with bad prices, refusing to get serious with a potential customer is pitiful.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah it’s just discouraging how many crap sales people you have to go through before you find one willing to actually deal. I’m not bothered by people with bad prices, refusing to get serious with a potential customer is pitiful.

I've been negotiating with apartment complexes almost daily for the past few weeks in attempt to find a good rent deal. Finally played hard ball and told them to negotiate with each other. They did and got a good deal.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I get that you're ticked and don't blame you. One warning about playing hardball with camper dealers though... you're probably negotiating with the only warranty dealer in 300 miles. If you tick them off too much and buy from out of state you may have 'delays' in getting warranty work, parts, etc. through them. Don't burn any bridges.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

After you negotiate with sales, then you have to do it all over with his boss, and theb again will the finance manager

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I get that you're ticked and don't blame you. One warning about playing hardball with camper dealers though... you're probably negotiating with the only warranty dealer in 300 miles. If you tick them off too much and buy from out of state you may have 'delays' in getting warranty work, parts, etc. through them. Don't burn any bridges.

You can't count on service at the big stores, Berryland in Hammond has about 80 service bays and it still a 2 -4 month wait for service; Your best bet is to use a mobile service that comes to you and accepts warranty
    I have not used them but Northshore rv rapair is highly recemended on the camper forums

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Ticked? Nah. Baffled? Absolutely. Big purchases are a bit of a sport for me. I enjoy driving a hard bargain.

The brand I’m looking at is a Forest River product so it shouldn’t be difficult to find someone to service it. Also it’s just a house on wheels. They really aren’t hard to work on. Tedious but not nearly as complex as you may think.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Ticked? Nah. Baffled? Absolutely. Big purchases are a bit of a sport for me. I enjoy driving a hard bargain.

The brand I’m looking at is a Forest River product so it shouldn’t be difficult to find someone to service it. Also it’s just a house on wheels. They really aren’t hard to work on. Tedious but not nearly as complex as you may think.

It really helps if you can do it yourself, in 10 years and 3 campers, I only brought the last one in to change a slide motor, but just because I didn't want to spend$200 for the motor; I was lucky to be friends with Doug Miller when he owned Miller rv in baton rouge, he got the part, I showed up the next day and waited for them to change itl You can't beat that kind of service. It was A Rockwood purchased from Berryland built by forest river and he sold another brand of forest river.
    Another trick learned is not to buy extended warranty for $2 -5,000, but rather to put that amount into a separate savings acct for any big problems that may show up after original warranty has expired.. If no major problems you still have your$$$$, need to repalce/repair something there it is/
    9 times outta 10 its gonna have chu=inese tires, drive straifgt ti a Goodyear store and replace tires with Goodyear Endurance in the proper size and capacity, (Don't have to worry about tires for 4-5 years and they are speed rated to 88mph, made in Montgomery Alabama

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It really helps if you can do it yourself, in 10 years and 3 campers, I only brought the last one in to change a slide motor, but just because I didn't want to spend$200 for the motor; I was lucky to be friends with Doug Miller when he owned Miller rv in baton rouge, he got the part, I showed up the next day and waited for them to change itl You can't beat that kind of service. It was A Rockwood purchased from Berryland built by forest river and he sold another brand of forest river.
    Another trick learned is not to buy extended warranty for $2 -5,000, but rather to put that amount into a separate savings acct for any big problems that may show up after original warranty has expired.. If no major problems you still have your$$$$, need to repalce/repair something there it is/
    9 times outta 10 its gonna have chu=inese tires, drive straifgt ti a Goodyear store and replace tires with Goodyear Endurance in the proper size and capacity, (Don't have to worry about tires for 4-5 years and they are speed rated to 88mph, made in Montgomery Alabama

The endurance tires seem to be the ticket. I used to buy marathons but I heard they are Chinese now too. Besides I can use the Chinese tires on one of my other trailers that I care a little less about.

Also you’re right it really helps to not have to take it in every time something goes haywire. My we lived in my Hornet for about 2-2.5 months in 2016 after a much needed break from it we began going camping in it and we park it at deer camp way away from everything and it’s our weekend getaway for months. Well it’s a deer camp so little trespassers think it’s ok to climb in through the plumbing and mechanical areas and chew and make a mess. Thankfully my old man is a master electrician and spent my youth teaching me just a portion of what he knows. This far I have been able to repair everything that has worn out or been chewed up. My next rig will be fully enclosed and then I will a fix hardware cloth to that every penetration will be stuff with steelwool and foamed or caulked.

Since the real purpose of this thread was to share my mild irritation and I have fulfilled that. I want to shift the discussion to what does everyone else do to upgrade/stupid proof their campers?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Salesmen being salesmen.

Yes!

They are trying to get you in the door so they can hard sell you. Go in with your price firm in your mind and walk out if they don't give it to you.

Perhaps! If the salespeople are commissioned, they need to work harder to make money. Those who get paid a straight salary are what we call; "Order takers!" An exceptional "sales" person is sometimes worth the extra money. The sale is always in the hands of the customer, but a knowledgeable salesperson can save you some heartache and cash on the back end too! Particularly if there are hidden pitfalls in the industry you are shopping.

A serious sales person that works for a serious company is not going to allow you to get away. Particularly in tough times. But it also depends on the availability of the product; and or the relationship. If I am the only guy that has live crawfish the Friday before Mother's Day, you can bank on me telling you, "good luck on your search for cheaper deals!" As for relationships? If you are a loyal customer of mine, your mom will be eating boiled crawfish on Mother's Day! ;)

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I was negotiating to buy a car once at a dealer and the salesman was jerking me around. He was telling me what my monthly payment was but was dancing around when I asked what the total sales price of the car was. I think he knew it was more than I wanted to pay and he did not want to come out and say it. Finally I just got up and walked out of the dealership.

Davidg53

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2018
    Bentley,La
    Never never compare buying a car with buying a camper. Not the same. I can buy a ford from a houston dealer and my local ford dealer will provide warranty service. Buy a camper from houston and take it to a Lafayette dealer, and he’ll tell you to take a hike. I’ve been through the above examples, and found out thats just how it is, and they don’t care. And Forest River is the worst ever. FR has a dozen different sub brands and the dealers don’t cooperate with each other. Its a cutthroat business. I did 90% of my own repairs just so I didn’t have to haul the camper to a dealer, then wait months for repairs. We enjoyed camping, but campers are basically junk bolted to two axles. Fwiw, I had a 2016 Cedar Creek, Silverback, 29RE. Great floorplan btw. I sold it a couple months ago. Never again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom