Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seriously Misunderstood!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    It appears that the manufacturer has a website with manuals that can be downloaded.

http://www.ridgewayclocks.com/produc...als_warranties

I'd start there. I haven't worked on any Ridgeway clocks before so I don't know the nuances of these ... but if they're anything like the other grandfather clocks I have worked on, they take patience and a special touch to get running well.

Mike
    This!^

I too have an 80's made Ridgeway that I salvaged from my mother. The manual was a great time saver and afforded me knowledge about the clock that was contrary to what I believed about it.
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Seriously Misunderstood!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by number1roadie19 View Post
    @RaleighReloader no instructions were given. I've watched videos on it from youtube and have leveled it out. Just trying to figure out how much more I'm gonna need to spend getting this beast up and running.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I had the exact same problem it appears you are. I ultimately had to cede to a professional clocksmith. He was good too! He explained that over time, if not properly oiled, the mechanisms get sticky. He also warned me that those very delicate gears break down over time too. The weights on my mom's Ridgeway was doing the exact same this as yours in your pic. If you look at the mechanism closely, you will notice how delicate and intricate it all is. The varying gear ratios on that baby is something. The downloaded manual will help alot!

It's worth over $900, and yours looks to be in fantastic shape and is very pretty! Get an estimate on repair. Shouldn't be more than $50 for the estimate, and if you have him do the work on the spot he most likely would apply it to the job.

FWIW: My cleanup and oil job was $100. He was at my home for 30 minutes! Clock worked like a champ!
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I had the exact same problem it appears you are. I ultimately had to cede to a professional clocksmith. He was good too! He explained that over time, if not properly oiled, the mechanisms get sticky. He also warned me that those very delicate gears break down over time too. The weights on my mom's Ridgeway was doing the exact same this as yours in your pic. If you look at the mechanism closely, you will notice how delicate and intricate it all is. The varying gear ratios on that baby is something. The downloaded manual will help alot!

It's worth over $900, and yours looks to be in fantastic shape and is very pretty! Get an estimate on repair. Shouldn't be more than $50 for the estimate, and if you have him do the work on the spot he most likely would apply it to the job.

FWIW: My cleanup and oil job was $100. He was at my home for 30 minutes! Clock worked like a champ!
    Who did you use if you don't mind my asking? Are the local to the NOLA area?

So if guns kill people, I guess, pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat

"There is nothing more exilerating than being shot at without result!" -Sir Winston Churchill

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John "The Duke" Wayne

"Your so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"-Gunny Hartman

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    i shudder just looking at that. i cant stand ticking clocks. drives me crazy.
    however there are a lot of videos on youtube.
    My grandparents had one.
    I always found the sound relaxing.

There's still an Alpine Clock on the northshore. There's another clock and knife shop on vets near the veterans exit.
    "Be water, my friend..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by number1roadie19 View Post
    Anybody have any advice or trusted repair shops you have used in the New Orleans area? I just purchased a Ridgeway for $100 but pendulum wont stay swinging and I'm not getting a real good "tick...tock" sound. Also any info as to the date of manufacture would be appreciated!

Nice looking clock, looks a lot like my Herschede clock, early 70's vintage.

So that center weight is all the way down, will it not crank up, or not stay up or just not up in the picture?

And yes should be able to google a manual for it.

Worth repairing I would think. Not cheap though, I had mine rebuilt and it was right about a grand..

Marksman

User Info Menu

It just wasn't up in this picture.

So if guns kill people, I guess, pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat

"There is nothing more exilerating than being shot at without result!" -Sir Winston Churchill

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John "The Duke" Wayne

"Your so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece!"-Gunny Hartman

Oldie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I would also suggest touching base with Alpine Clocks on the North shore. Though my wife's clock wasn't a grandfather, they worked on her very old family mantel clock. Capable and fair priced.