Grandfather clock, did I get a dud?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Anybody have any advice or trusted repair shops you have used in the New Orleans area? I just purchased a Ridgeway for $100 but pendulum wont stay swinging and I'm not getting a real good "tick...tock" sound. Also any info as to the date of manufacture would be appreciated!
    04937d5a3138973235c99d9346200115.jpg
    ecc69feb8a78d2c44442bb0567dbc211.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    Not sure how it is set up but they have to almost perfectly level. Also, the weights are usually different. I know on my Howard Miller, the heaviest weight has to be on the chain which drives the movement. The two lighter weights go on the hour strike and chimes. I had to replace the movement on mine. The bearing/bushing surfaces will wear and stop the clock if it hasn't been maintained correctly.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Not sure how it is set up but they have to almost perfectly level. Also, the weights are usually different. I know on my Howard Miller, the heaviest weight has to be on the chain which drives the movement. The two lighter weights go on the hour strike and chimes. I had to replace the movement on mine. The bearing/bushing surfaces will wear and stop the clock if it hasn't been maintained correctly.

I agree with the above. Ours has to be perfectly level, and the weights have to be in the correct location. After that is done, there should be and adjustment for pendulum length, in case it is running too fast or too slow. Took me a few days to get ours dialed in after it was moved from my dads.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Some of the movements in grandfather clocks have automatic mechanisms that adjust for not being 100% level. It depends on the movement in your clock. To find out what movement you have look at the back of it. The manufacturers information should be stamped along with a date code. In East Baton Rouge we have a business called the clock doctor who will come to your house to maintain and repair a large clock like a grandfather. I don’t know if he’ll travel to New Orleans. But he might know of someone who does work in your area if you call him.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My guess is that it's 1980's vintage, give or take a bit.

Mechanical movements like this are finicky beasts that take some TLC to get setup and running properly. Depending on the condition of the movement, it may also need a CTR (complete teardown and rebuild), which is where the movement is entirely disassembled, each part is cleaned, the movement is reassembled and correctly lubricated and adjusted. Part and parcel of owning a mechanical clock like this.

(and no, please don't spray it with WD40. Not only will this damage the wood, but it will gum up the movement and give you even more headaches down the road.)

Did it come with any instructions? Some of these clocks came with instructions on how to level and setup the movement.

Mike

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    @RaleighReloader no instructions were given. I've watched videos on it from youtube and have leveled it out. Just trying to figure out how much more I'm gonna need to spend getting this beast up and running.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    @RaleighReloader no instructions were given. I've watched videos on it from youtube and have leveled it out. Just trying to figure out how much more I'm gonna need to spend getting this beast up and running.

It appears that the manufacturer has a website with manuals that can be downloaded.

http://www.ridgewayclocks.com/product_manuals_warranties

I'd start there. I haven't worked on any Ridgeway clocks before so I don't know the nuances of these ... but if they're anything like the other grandfather clocks I have worked on, they take patience and a special touch to get running well.

Mike

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I own a Ridgeway grandfather clock and live in the Metro New Orleans area. About 18 months ago I used the following clock service company.
    Bella's Time Piece 504-780-2263/ 885-0784. Good service and they made the Boss aka wife happy.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It appears that the manufacturer has a website with manuals that can be downloaded.

http://www.ridgewayclocks.com/product_manuals_warranties

I'd start there. I haven't worked on any Ridgeway clocks before so I don't know the nuances of these ... but if they're anything like the other grandfather clocks I have worked on, they take patience and a special touch to get running well.

Mike

This!^

I too have an 80's made Ridgeway that I salvaged from my mother. The manual was a great time saver and afforded me knowledge about the clock that was contrary to what I believed about it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I had the exact same problem it appears you are. I ultimately had to cede to a professional clocksmith. He was good too! He explained that over time, if not properly oiled, the mechanisms get sticky. He also warned me that those very delicate gears break down over time too. The weights on my mom's Ridgeway was doing the exact same this as yours in your pic. If you look at the mechanism closely, you will notice how delicate and intricate it all is. The varying gear ratios on that baby is something. The downloaded manual will help alot!

It's worth over $900, and yours looks to be in fantastic shape and is very pretty! Get an estimate on repair. Shouldn't be more than $50 for the estimate, and if you have him do the work on the spot he most likely would apply it to the job.

FWIW: My cleanup and oil job was $100. He was at my home for 30 minutes! Clock worked like a champ!

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I had the exact same problem it appears you are. I ultimately had to cede to a professional clocksmith. He was good too! He explained that over time, if not properly oiled, the mechanisms get sticky. He also warned me that those very delicate gears break down over time too. The weights on my mom's Ridgeway was doing the exact same this as yours in your pic. If you look at the mechanism closely, you will notice how delicate and intricate it all is. The varying gear ratios on that baby is something. The downloaded manual will help alot!

It's worth over $900, and yours looks to be in fantastic shape and is very pretty! Get an estimate on repair. Shouldn't be more than $50 for the estimate, and if you have him do the work on the spot he most likely would apply it to the job.

FWIW: My cleanup and oil job was $100. He was at my home for 30 minutes! Clock worked like a champ!

Who did you use if you don't mind my asking? Are the local to the NOLA area?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    i shudder just looking at that. i cant stand ticking clocks. drives me crazy.
    however there are a lot of videos on youtube.

My grandparents had one.
    I always found the sound relaxing.

There's still an Alpine Clock on the northshore. There's another clock and knife shop on vets near the veterans exit.

hunt4570

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Anybody have any advice or trusted repair shops you have used in the New Orleans area? I just purchased a Ridgeway for $100 but pendulum wont stay swinging and I'm not getting a real good "tick...tock" sound. Also any info as to the date of manufacture would be appreciated!
    04937d5a3138973235c99d9346200115.jpg
    ecc69feb8a78d2c44442bb0567dbc211.jpg

Nice looking clock, looks a lot like my Herschede clock, early 70's vintage.

So that center weight is all the way down, will it not crank up, or not stay up or just not up in the picture?

And yes should be able to google a manual for it.

Worth repairing I would think. Not cheap though, I had mine rebuilt and it was right about a grand..

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I would also suggest touching base with Alpine Clocks on the North shore. Though my wife's clock wasn't a grandfather, they worked on her very old family mantel clock. Capable and fair priced.

Top Bottom