Recommendations wanted: metal-framed compact

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Hoping I can tap into the wisdom in this community a bit. All of my pistols are polymer-framed strikers, and I'd like to add a metal-framed compact to the collection once the pandemic stuff has calmed down and market prices return to normal.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I have now, but I grew up with 80's cop movies and want a "real" gun.

I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I'd love to find something used or LEO trade-in in the $350-400 range to get started. I don't mind if it's a got some miles on it or is a little beat up. Something with a grip size comparable to a G19 or VP9, not a full-size, but barrel length doesn't matter as this is just for range sport and I won't be carrying it. Stainless, nickel or aluminum finish, preferably 9mm but 10mm or .40 would be fine too. (I don't think I'm man enough for a .45 just yet.)

A Sig P299 Elite stainless would be an obvious choice, but it's about double my desired price range for a first step into this world.

Based on my research, here's what I think might the bill:
    • Third generation S&W like a 5906/5926/5946/4006/etc
    • CZ 75 or P01
    • Tanfoglio Witness
    • Browning Hi-Power
    • Beretta 92FS

If anyone has any insights or advice on where to get started with a metal SA/DA pistol like this -- model, brand, where to look, where to buy, what to avoid, expectations, warnings -- I'm all ears and a sponge for your information. Thanks in advance!

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    If you like 40 right now police trade ins at Cdnn are dirt cheap. Honestly you would love a Sig P229/226 you can get a fantastic cheap trigger. CZ 75 P01 is more of a carry gun... Good for the range but a waste not to carry. I'm partial to a good DA/SA but used non belgium countries Hi-powers can be found cheap.

If you want to try out a well worn CZ75 P01 I have one that's been mine for 10 years and countless thousands of rounds lol... But a police trade in P229 in 40 is cheap if you don't mind 40...

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    If you like 40 right now police trade ins at Cdnn are dirt cheap. Honestly you would love a Sig P229/226 you can get a fantastic cheap trigger. CZ 75 P01 is more of a carry gun... Good for the range but a waste not to carry. I'm partial to a good DA/SA but used non belgium countries Hi-powers can be found cheap.

If you want to try out a well worn CZ75 P01 I have one that's been mine for 10 years and countless thousands of rounds lol... But a police trade in P229 in 40 is cheap if you don't mind 40...

Wow, you're right! Great resource... Signed up for their mailing list and will watch for something in 9mm, but nice deal on the P299. I'd certainly be comfortable getting up to 450-ish with fees and taxes for that. The first handgun I ever shot was a P226 and I loved it.

I'd have to work my way up to a CZ 75 for carrying. I'm new to CCW so packing around a Shield for the time being while I learn that I probably won't print and that nobody will ever notice or care.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    My normal carry is between a LCP II and a Sig P365... It's pretty rare that I carry the P01 still it was my first carry. Carried it for years shot so many rounds that the internals are smooth lol.

The P226s and 229s at CDNN are a steal! But a 9mm conversion is $200!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If I read the original post right, the OP is asking about metal framed compact pistols.

Beretta 92 compact gets my vote.

dd13fa822de5970cec01157dffaed98a.jpg

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    For me the 3913 Smith is the ultimate Metal frame compact, 6906 if you have larger hands. Might be slightly higher than your stated price for the 3913. My second choice would be the P01.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    A cz 75 compact, or the p01, same gun.

Canik makes the tristar t100, a clone of the p01

The 69 series 3rd gen Smith's are nice. I prefer the 59 series as the grip fits my larger hand better.

Pretty sure there are some Turkish clones of the sig 226 or 228 or 229.

Tangfolio make very nice cz 75 clones

The EAA witness cz75 clones are nice.

I am sure that there are many more, just can't remember them at the moment.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Or you could go 90’s retro

That definitely makes me want to roll up the sleeves of a blazer, but the Beretta 92 variants, esp the compact, definitely make me want to drop Hans Gruber off the Nakatomi Plaza.

I really hadn't initially considered the Beretta as much as the others (not sure why). I found this in my google-fu and it was really interesting so I'll share it here just for the interest of anyone following along: https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/Beretta-92-chart01.jpg

guide-beretta-92

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Beretta 92, S&W 3rd gen or Hi-Power cant go wrong with either one. I love my berettas but the trigger on my 5906 is better. I really miss my Browning Hi-Power.

EDIT: I have shot 40 cal and I find 45acp easier to handle the recoil.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That definitely makes me want to roll up the sleeves of a blazer, but the Beretta 92 variants, esp the compact, definitely make me want to drop Hans Gruber off the Nakatomi Plaza.

I really hadn't initially considered the Beretta as much as the others (not sure why). I found this in my google-fu and it was really interesting so I'll share it here just for the interest of anyone following along: https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/Beretta-92-chart01.jpg

guide-beretta-92

Lol, great movie.
    That’s a cool page at LuckyGunner. Thanks for posting. I’d like to get that on a poster to hang in my gunroom. I’ve supported Beretta for decades and most of my Beretta firearms are indeed 92 and 96 pistols. I’ve never been sorry.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Found some more interesting info in my searching, sharing here just for interest.

Smith & Wesson 3rd Gen numbering system:

10xx 10mm
    22xx .22 rimfire
    39xx 9mm single stack
    40xx .40 caliber
    45xx .45 caliber
    59xx 9mm double stack full size
    69xx 9mm double stack compact

xx0x TDA full size
    xx1x TDA compact
    xx2x Frame decocker full size
    xx3x Frame decocker compact
    xx4x DAO full size
    xx5x DAO compact
    xx6x TDA mid size
    xx7x Frame decocker mid size
    xx8x DAO mid size
    xx9x Non standard combination

xxx3 Alloy frame silver
    xxx4 Alloy frame black
    xxx5 Steel frame blue
    xxx6 Stainless steel frame
    xxx7 Non standard combination

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Simply for Sport Shooting, you can't go wrong with a full size CZ 75. Not sure why you want a compact if youre not worried about carry size or weight. If you try one out, it will fit in your hand like a glove, and it will quickly become your favorite gun. Those classic Sigs are nice as well, used to be my favorite guns before I got a CZ75. Browning Hi-Power right on, love the choice, that's a nice one. I'd either go with a CZ75 or a browing high power. Another option would be one of the mini 1911's like a Kimber micro 9 in 9mm. Full size 1911 would be another great choice. I would stay away from the smaller 1911's in .45ACP. They are not fun sport shooters. Final thought, go with a CZ75, I highly doubt you won't love it.

Top Bottom