Deep freeze test: AK vs AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Overall a poorly done test. But still telling.
    I say poorly done because although they did get both rifles frozen over, it didn’t account for the ammo at all. They didn’t freeze the mag and ammo in the rifle and it looks like summertime where he’s shooting so I just shook my head from the get go. How about some real world $h1t! Huh?
    Then when the AR wouldn’t fire he tore it down and basically gave the rifle time to de-ice and thaw out before it fired, under the guise of making sure it had a firing pin in it? Idk. I’d rather him start with cocked locked and ready rifles fresh outa the deep freeze and see what’s what. Anyway, here we go:

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2020/05/14/ar15-vs-ak47-sub-zero-freezing-torture-test/

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It’s also worth thinking about, that there is some air inside of the firearm itself. That air is very humid, especially compared to -100ish air surrounding dry ice. The massive temperature drop causes all of that humidity to condense and ice the inside of the firearm. I’d wager that it wasn’t the temperature that caused the firearm to fail, it was the temperature change causing ice build up. If you were to do this same test where it was already very cold(less available humidity)the result would likely be different.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Also to get the AK to feed he "mortered" it, I wonder if "mortering" the AR would have freed the firing pin?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It’s also worth thinking about, that there is some air inside of the firearm itself. That air is very humid, especially compared to -100ish air surrounding dry ice. The massive temperature drop causes all of that humidity to condense and ice the inside of the firearm. I’d wager that it wasn’t the temperature that caused the firearm to fail, it was the temperature change causing ice build up. If you were to do this same test where it was already very cold(less available humidity)the result would likely be different.

Tests like these are useless, because they can't mimic actual conditions no matter how hard the tester tries.

There are actual greases designed for guns that will be subjected to low temps and they will run. It's not actually very scientific, but I've seen people test grease by applying it and tossing their gun outside over night in freezing temps. Other than frog lube and thin oils, most did okay.

The whole AK vs AR thing is overplayed and needs to stop. One of the first things mentioned in this video is "well we bought this cheap AR and cheap AK."

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Also to get the AK to feed he "mortered" it, I wonder if "mortering" the AR would have freed the firing pin?
    No doubt. I realize that’s a cool, maybe save-your-life trick but I sure hate to see people do that just because they can. I once had primers popping out of some 300 BLK ammo in one of my ARs and when the bolt stuck half open I actually had a guy try to persuade me into slamming the butt into the dirt. I just removed the mag and tore it down at home and found the smashed primer between the carrier and the inner upper. Very likely the buffer tube would have broke before that puppy let go.
    And just like that, I stopped buying Fiocchi 300 BLK. I’ve had Aguila do the same. Sometimes crimped primers are good for ARs.

As far as the test, I really wish he’d have dropped both guns In the chill, tubes loaded and safeties on. Then we’d maybe know a little something. I can’t say if I were ever in any kind of situation where I was in butt chilling tundra conditions I wouldn’t actually be taking some precautions with my body parts and my rifle to keep it all from freezing over tho. As was said, and I think you guys nailed it, the conditions didn’t really match what he was trying to suggest.
    And if you guys ever need to freeze metal quick ask a machinist the best way to do it. CO2 canister or extinguisher or pressurized propellant In a spray can. And don’t be huffing the duster!

Top Bottom