Who carries a Bersa Thunder 380?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Anyone here carry or have carried a Bersa Thunder 380? Not the CC version but the standard version. How did you like it? Heavy? Bulky? Of course, this predicating the fact that you actually approve of the gun's ergonomic features and functionality. I'm more interested in how it carries....as opposed to carrying a Ruger LCP.
    What say you?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2019
    Farmerville, LA
    I carried one for a long time when that was all I could afford. Fit both in the pocket and big enough to fit IWB. I have rather large hands so was a better feel than the kel tec p380 I also had at the time. Never had any problems with FMJ or hordany critical defense. I wouldn't hesitate to carry another one. That being said my current pocket pistol is a LCP. Wife still carries the Bersa every once in awhile. Hope this helps.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I carried one for nearly 10 years and never had a problem. I've switched to a S&W Bodyguard. The S&W carries more comfortably due to the smaller size, but I'd much rather they way the Bersa feels in the hand. People trash them but I've never had issues with mine. If cleaned and oiled it never jammed and was incredibly accurate.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It’s a great “always carry.” Whether as a backup when I’m carrying big iron or don’t really need much like rolling out the trash cans. I wish that I had several. It’s great to keep one in a “possibles” bag.

I’m partial to DA/SA (non-plastic). It’s very safe for Condition 2. The Bersa is small but fits that niche. It’s a better value than a PPK and holds one more round. There’s even a “Plus” that has a 15-round, double stack mag.

I prefer the “non-CC” model because I like a real, exposed hammer.

I shoot Underwood Xtreme Defender Ammunition .380 ACP +P Xtreme Defense (fluted bullet) without any issues. (Yeah, I know, there’s actually not a SAAMI Standard for .380 +P, and that the REAL name is 380 Automatic, not ACP. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To play devil's advocate...

1) What are you looking for specifically? A small pocket carry pistol?
    2) Why .380 over 9mm or other calibers?
    3) What is your budget?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    To play devil's advocate...

1) What are you looking for specifically? A small pocket carry pistol?
    2) Why .380 over 9mm or other calibers?
    3) What is your budget?

I have an SR9C at the house and carry the LCP Custom. I like the way it carries but hate the way it shoots. Although, the Custom model is a step up from the original LCP.
    A friend had offered to trade his Bersa for my LCP. His comes with the 6 mags, I have 3 mags. I like the way the Bersa fits in my hand and I love the way it shoots. I'm just worried about the extra bulk and the extra 12 ounces I'm adding to my hip. Yes, carry weight does matter since I suffer from a torn meniscus and arthritis in my hip.

I would also consider an LC9S or Shield 9. However, being off work for a couple of months, I can't really buy anything new right now.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have an SR9C at the house and carry the LCP Custom. I like the way it carries but hate the way it shoots. Although, the Custom model is a step up from the original LCP.
    A friend had offered to trade his Bersa for my LCP. His comes with the 6 mags, I have 3 mags. I like the way the Bersa fits in my hand and I love the way it shoots. I'm just worried about the extra bulk and the extra 12 ounces I'm adding to my hip. Yes, carry weight does matter since I suffer from a torn meniscus and arthritis in my hip.

I would also consider an LC9S or Shield 9. However, being off work for a couple of months, I can't really buy anything new right now.

The added weight will definitely be noticeable.

If you already have a SR9c, I would explore holster options for it, before trading away something you are already invested in.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I have always wanted to try the Bersa, it has just never been at the top of my list.
    I definitely would like to try the plus in a stainless.

Something about the DA/SA I like.

I have seen plenty of rave reviews on it.

A lot bigger than an LCP though.

I think it would be a much softer shooter though, and more rounds, even in the standard version. 1 or 2 I think, depending on the carry of the LCP.

So LCP is an *any pocket* gun, where I don’t see that with the Bersa. Something to keep in mind.

For me, I got away from pocket carry due to the speed, but it does have its place.

Good luck

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    While I have not shot a bersa in a while, I can offer the following.

It is heavy, and that will be noticeable while carrying.

I can imagine it will be easier to shoot accurately due to the size and weight.

I compared my 2 fave 380 guns at the range, glock 42 and kahr cw380. The cw380 is much smaller and easier to carry. I shoot the glock 42 faster and slightly more accurately... not much better than the cw380. I feel confident with the cw380, so I carry it. Sights are smaller than the glock but they both shoot to point of aim well.

Both have a much better trigger than the lcp, which I do not like at all due to the double reset clicky feel. Plus the kahr is the same size and weight and is made better, IMO.

I see the heavier/larger 380 guns for those with weaker hands/injuries that do not want or cannot shoot the similarly sized single stack 9mm guns. Not sure I can understand the need for a heavy all metal 380 gun when lighter poly alternatives are available.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

If you are considering these options, I'd urge you to look at the SIG P365. 9mm is a better round than .380.

Between the Shield 9 and the options mentioned, I vote for the Shield 9. If you can hold off a bit and try the SIG out, I'd recommend it over the Shield.

Where are you carrying on your person?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you are considering these options, I'd urge you to look at the SIG P365. 9mm is a better round than .380.

Between the Shield 9 and the options mentioned, I vote for the Shield 9. If you can hold off a bit and try the SIG out, I'd recommend it over the Shield.

Where are you carrying on your person?

Hopefully at 3 o’clock like your suppose to. Appendix carry is for millennials and hippies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hopefully at 3 o’clock like your suppose to. Appendix carry is for millennials and hippies

Millennials, hippies, and people without a badge ;)

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Jim Cirillo carried AIWB.

Most of us who have been around for a while have shoved a S&W in our pants at one time or another. I wasn’t aware that this was Cirillo’s primary method of carry when he was on stakeouts. I’ll have to read up on it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Most of us who have been around for a while have shoved a S&W in our pants at one time or another. I wasn’t aware that this was Cirillo’s primary method of carry when he was on stakeouts. I’ll have to read up on it.

I’ve actually been told about more AIWB techniques from old cops on stakeouts, than young people with a carry permit. Reverse cant was popular as well. Cirillo had a custom comped 1911 that he carried AIWB. Even guys like Darryl Bolke carried AIWB in the 70’s and 80’s. While you’re doing some reading, look into *Snick* holsters.

Like they say, what’s old is new.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans

I don't like pocket carry. I do it when my options for carry are limited, but I usually try not to. When I carry IWB, it's usually about 3:30 with a slight cant.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I’m keen on 9 o’clock. Strong side beats buried between my nuts and my gut for comfort. I still carry AIWB on occasion but I prefer not to.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom