What is the best value 10-22?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To preface, this is not a want to buy ad.

I'm in the market for a 10-22. I'm looking on the usual places and see they run between $180-250ish. Seems reasonable. My dilemma is that the 10-22 comes in more models than a swiss army knife.

I'm looking for the best value, so I'm not as concerned with budget.
    I would prefer it to have a scope base included and don't care for iron sights.
    Synthetic stock preferred, but wood is okay too.

This model has a what looks to be tapered heavy barrel with no sights, but includes a factory scope base for around $200.

411559010_1.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    One with the factory threaded barrel. If not, and you decide you want to shoot it suppressed you will end up paying another 100 bucks for a threaded barrel.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    One with the factory threaded barrel. If not, and you decide you want to shoot it suppressed you will end up paying another 100 bucks for a threaded barrel.

That's not as much of a concern. I don't currently own a .22 suppressor and if I do decide to suppress it, I'll chop and thread the barrel. Most 10-22's I'm seeing are 18.5".

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I would have said the Thompson Center T/C R22 when places were selling them for $240 months ago. I like the ones with the scope base milled into the receiver instead of a mounted base.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would have said the Thompson Center T/C R22 when places were selling them for $240 months ago. I like the ones with the scope base milled into the receiver instead of a mounted base.

I’m only interested in Ruger 10-22’s.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are you specifically interested in a rifle configuration or is a Charger configuration of sorts of interest as well?

Rifle config.

A friend of mine actually ordered that one in the OP for me, but I’d still like to explore other options to see what else is out there. They are cheap enough to buy two :rofl:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Rifle config.

A friend of mine actually ordered that one in the OP for me, but I’d still like to explore other options to see what else is out there. They are cheap enough to buy two :rofl:

Yea I think those base models are gonna be about as cheap as they get right now for new production. I was checking my distributors and there a solid deal.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yea I think those base models are gonna be about as cheap as they get right now for new production. I was checking my distributors and there a solid deal.

We were talking and he mentioned that one before I could, so I figured it was a good buy.

For a while, the only options seemed to be bull barrels for no sights. I despise the original 10-22's the the collar around the fore end and barrel.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I bought a 10-22 carbine at Academy two weeks ago for $219? Great experience. Showed the counter person my CHP and she knew exactly what to do with it. In and out in 20 minutes. It came with irons and a scope rail.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    10-22

To preface, this is not a want to buy ad.

I'm in the market for a 10-22. I'm looking on the usual places and see they run between $180-250ish. Seems reasonable. My dilemma is that the 10-22 comes in more models than a swiss army knife.

I'm looking for the best value, so I'm not as concerned with budget.
    I would prefer it to have a scope base included and don't care for iron sights.
    Synthetic stock preferred, but wood is okay too.

This model has a what looks to be tapered heavy barrel with no sights, but includes a factory scope base for around $200.

411559010_1.jpg

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    Before last hunting season I got one from academy for 300 for the little woman. It had a hard case,synthetic stock,weaver 3x9x40 loosely mounted with scope covers,had a lady there boresight it for her first boresighting job ever,and she did pretty good.So,I think I got a fairly good deal

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would buy the model you posted the pic of and change out the trigger with the BX trigger and you will be good to go. That tactical solutions model is very nice but will run you 1000 dollars. You can also buy the gun you posted the pic of and send to to CPC in Connecticut and let Randy perform his magic on it and have a a awesome rifle. It will run you between 300 and 600 for his services plus what you buy the rifle for.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I would buy the model you posted the pic of and change out the trigger with the BX trigger and you will be good to go. That tactical solutions model is very nice but will run you 1000 dollars. You can also buy the gun you posted the pic of and send to to CPC in Connecticut and let Randy perform his magic on it and have a a awesome rifle. It will run you between 300 and 600 for his services plus what you buy the rifle for.

$762 shipped for the one I linked above looks like with the Ruger BX-Trigger

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I bought a 10-22 carbine at Academy two weeks ago for $219? Great experience. Showed the counter person my CHP and she knew exactly what to do with it. In and out in 20 minutes. It came with irons and a scope rail.
    Does having a conceal carry permit exclude a background check in Louisiana?

I was planning to get a tacsol 10/22 before the oil field went to crap recently. After shooting my dad's 30+ year old marlin 22lr with an old beat up 3-9x scope i gave him, i realized a base model 10/22 would be all i need. Especially since all we shoot is whatever big bulk box ammo is cheapest. Im probably going with a model that has a sythetic stock and is all a dark color. I want durable and just as important i dont want heavy.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have no idea what a good value is to someone else.

If you are looking to shoot Federal Bulk Pack ammo, anything you get on sale at Academy will do.

Here's one from Bud's. https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...rbine+autoload++gray/black+22+lr++185+in+10+1

If your idea of ammo is Eley Edge, then let's talk about those Tac Sols.

Almost all Ruger 10/22 receivers have the barrel hole bored crooked. Most cant to the left.

Any 10/22 that you are planning to build on in the future, should begin with a receiver from anyone else.

Top Bottom