Need general Contractor Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK. I am about to rent a new place to do my classes and screen printing. It used to be an old service station, and I would like to add a wall and a ceiling. Could someone give me a rough ball park of what a project like this would cost

the wall would be about 25' long by i guess 8' high. I would also like to simply run a vent from the HVAC system into the room with a vent I can shut off when the room is not in use.

The ceiling, probably a drop, would be roughly 15' x 25'.

Could me a a couple guys do it in a weekend if I BOUGHT THE MATERIALS, BEER, AND PIZZA?

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used to do residential work in New Orleans over the Summers... I might be willing to trade a Saturday for a free CHP Class if you are interested. Have most of the tools needed... With the exception of a nailgun / compressor. PM me if interested and let me know around what date you'd like to get this going on, I'll see if I'm free and maybe we can work something out :)

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, quick wall price I put together with prices from Lowes. It's everything minus paint / texture finishing.

20 ea. Pre-Cut #2 SYP Stud, 16'' O.C. @ $1.84 ea. = $36.80

6 ea. 2x4x14 #2 SYP for Kicker / Double Top Plate @ $4.56 ea. = $27.36

12 ea. 12'x4'x1/2'' Sheetrock @ $8.84 ea. = $106.08

All Purpose Joint Compound @ 15.31 / bucket = $15.31

Total = $185.55

Figure 20% for misc. tools / supplies (nails, mudding trowels / trays).

I'd say you can get the wall done at around $220. This includes drywall both sides of the wall and assuming it's an interior, non structural, wall with no moisture protection needed.

Drop ceiling.... No idea.

Edit: Don't use these quantities as order quantities. When you get exact dimensions let me know and I'll be glad to help out with exact order quantities. It would suck to buy all the stuff and come up 2 studs short and have to run back to Lowes :)

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I used to do residential work in New Orleans over the Summers... I might be willing to trade a Saturday for a free CHP Class if you are interested. Have most of the tools needed... With the exception of a nailgun / compressor. PM me if interested and let me know around what date you'd like to get this going on, I'll see if I'm free and maybe we can work something out :)

Definitely could do that for you. Will PM details when I have some.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The wall could be done in a day easily enough, not counting extra trips to float and finish drywall. The duct probably also. The drop ceiling could be done in a day by an experienced crew. By someone with no experience- probably not. It is not rocket surgery, but all the little tweaking on it that needs to be done can be time consuming. You could end up with two guys doing a good bit of standing around while one guy gets everything square and level for a good chunk of the day. Get a good 360 or 180 degree laser level to make much shorter work of getting the grid hung right.

If I were bidding this, offhand I would say (just an FYI, not a firm quote, including materials):

Build wall: $375
    Install/finish drywall (on both sides of wall), install base moulding: $925.00
    Texture/paint drywall: $400.00
    Drop ceiling grid: $1500.00
    Drop ceiling panels: $875.00
    Duct, diffuser, damper, duct insulation: (depends on several things, but just guessing would be) $550.00

So somewhere in the $4625 range.

You are probably gonna want a light or two in a room that size, btw, and/or an outlet or two and maybe even fibergalss batts above the grid.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The wall could be done in a day easily enough, not counting extra trips to float and finish drywall. The duct probably also. The drop ceiling could be done in a day by an experienced crew. By someone with no experience- probably not. It is not rocket surgery, but all the little tweaking on it that needs to be done can be time consuming. You could end up with two guys doing a good bit of standing around while one guy gets everything square and level for a good chunk of the day. Get a good 360 or 180 degree laser level to make much shorter work of getting the grid hung right.

If I were bidding this, offhand I would say (just an FYI, not a firm quote, including materials):

Build wall: $375
    Install/finish drywall (on both sides of wall), install base moulding: $925.00
    Texture/paint drywall: $400.00
    Drop ceiling grid: $1500.00
    Drop ceiling panels: $875.00
    Duct, diffuser, damper, duct insulation: (depends on several things, but just guessing would be) $550.00

So somewhere in the $4625 range.

You are probably gonna want a light or two in a room that size, btw, and/or an outlet or two and maybe even fibergalss batts above the grid.

Ok. I got a buddy that is an electrician that can handle the lights and stuff.

I am thinking i can get some guys togather to do the wall and dry-wall.

maybe pay pros to do ceiling?

What is fiberglass batts?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Batts are squares of kraft paper faced insulation. You can buy them in 2'x4' pieces to go over the tiles. If you are trying to keep a room cool in LA and the overall insulation of the building is not already efficient, it can save money in the long run.

Oh, and you can find people cheaper than me. I am mid-range price, high-range quality. Sounds cliche, but true in my case.

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you want to do the work yourself it's not hard. Only thing I would say is you should probably find someone to do the drop ceiling. But as for the wall / HVAC duct / fixtures you can do that yourself with the help of a couple people no problem.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom