Post frame building on the Northshore

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    Looking for a reputable builder of post frame buildings in the Covington area. Only looking for post frame construction not all steel, if anyone can recommend someone I'd appreciate it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It depends on the size you are wanting, but if it’s smaller you could easily order the tin and lumber grab a few strong back/weak mind types and do it yourself. If it’s really big I ain’t sure who to suggest, but go with metal trusses unless you are wanting a loft space. I’m hoping to start the dirt work on mine once I wrap up a few other projects. I’ve been kicking around ideas for 3 years.

Last edited:

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    I'm looking for a 30x40, if it was smaller I'd just build it myself. Had a contractor from MS that's was going to do build it but they went out of business.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm looking for a 30x40, if it was smaller I'd just build it myself. Had a contractor from MS that's was going to do build it but they went out of business.

Yeah with spans like that, I think that’s wise. I had a guy who was going to quote me but contractors are so unreliable, and I’m in construction.:dogkeke:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Any specific reason you're going with a post frame and don't want to do steel? That's gonna be a pretty big building.
    You talking tube steel or fabricated columns? I personally find the post frame to be the happy medium in strength for residential uses. I find the tube stuff to be overpriced for the strength you get. But I also have intentions of building my own not everyone can or is willing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Personal preference

Ok.

You talking tube steel or fabricated columns? I personally find the post frame to be the happy medium in strength for residential uses. I find the tube stuff to be overpriced for the strength you get. But I also have intentions of building my own not everyone can or is willing.

It depends on how it’s built. If you want an open building and need the roof clearance, a steel building is the way to go.

I’ve never seen a building made of HSS steel in residential or industrial settings.

Jgarris11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Contact reeds metal. They can sell you a post frame building kit and have installers that travel anywhere.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok.

It depends on how it’s built. If you want an open building and need the roof clearance, a steel building is the way to go.

I’ve never seen a building made of HSS steel in residential or industrial settings.

They are out there but it’s a glorified tent with metal roof and walls. They are most often purchased as a carport but they can be enclosed.

But a fabricated building should sit on concrete columns with spread footers you can spend several thousand on the concrete. Also most fabricated metal buildings are made to order. They fabbed our last one in 8 weeks but we paid 100% up front. It’s 100x120x30 and it was design with rails for our bridge crane.

For large structures and wide opening it’s hard to beat a fabricated steel structure. But you can get a lot from a post frame with pre-manufactured metal trusses you can get some pretty wide spans. If you’ve never seen them think bar joist on a pitch with brackets that connect two the halves and brackets to anchored them to the posts. They are very common around here particularly in agriculture. People often refer to them as chicken house trusses. You can get wide openings and high clearances.

I’ll link in some pics of the three types I’m talking about in a few minutes.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    They are out there but it’s a glorified tent with metal roof and walls. They are most often purchased as a carport but they can be enclosed.

But a fabricated building should sit on concrete columns with spread footers you can spend several thousand on the concrete. Also most fabricated metal buildings are made to order. They fabbed our last one in 8 weeks but we paid 100% up front. It’s 100x120x30 and it was design with rails for our bridge crane.

For large structures and wide opening it’s hard to beat a fabricated steel structure. But you can get a lot from a post frame with pre-manufactured metal trusses you can get some pretty wide spans. If you’ve never seen them think bar joist on a pitch with brackets that connect two the halves and brackets to anchored them to the posts. They are very common around here particularly in agriculture. People often refer to them as chicken house trusses. You can get wide openings and high clearances.

I’ll link in some pics of the three types I’m talking about in a few minutes.

Yea then that's pretty stupid and totally ignores what HSS steel is good for. They are using tube columns to skimp on other areas.

A fabricated building doesn't need to sit on spread footings. That's a lot of unnecessary work and multiple pours. They will either be chain wall or slab on grade.

The reason I asked the OP about pouring a slab is because I find it very odd to have drilled piers poured for a post frame building, then coming back with a second pour for the paving. If he's going to have a slab on grade, then build a post frame building, that's pretty much a house lol

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I have a dirt pad built and planning a slab for a 30 X 50 Fabricated steel building.
    Working on the permit process now. I got a quote for the building from Reeds Metals.
    Have a neighbor that I’m planning to have perform the basic assembly, he has experience and the equipment and crew to get it done.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

I was going to do the same a couple years back but couldn’t find a “reasonable” price so I built it by my self. Got a bigger building for less money. Not for everyone though.

There are truss kits that mount on top of 6x6 posts that’ll span what your wanting to do.

Top Bottom