S&W 929 vs. 627 PC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Greetings,

As it happens sometimes, I get lucky and stumble upon a deal I shouldn't pass up, and then I scoop up a gun that I don't necessarily need. I feel like I should mention that I've been wanting a 929 since I got into revolver competitions.

I am currently elbows-deep in the 627. I have at least 150 moon clips for it. I have just about every modification I want on my primary competition revolver, plus just about the same modifications on my backup competition revolver which is the same model iteration as the primary. I have several thousand pieces of brass. I finally started reloading so I can make power factor on my own. I am just about finished working up an ICORE load- 38 special trimmed down to 38 super length.

I'm narrowing the ammo advantage gap you get with 9mm over 38 and I'm completely set up for 38. I already bought the 929 and I'm just waiting for it to ship.

Having said all that, do you think the 929 will be that much of an advantage over the 627 in competitions that I'll need to retool and resupply?

Ryan

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The 627 and the 929 are both N frame revolvers, so they're essentially the same gun. What this really comes down to is the ballistics of the .38 Special versus the 9mm Parabellum round.

I've reloaded .38 and 9mm and I'd choose to reload .38 any day of the week. A larger cartridge that's easier to handle, there are reloading recipes to do just about everything but send a bullet to the moon, and you won't have to worry about odd-duck 9mm reloads that won't cycle in an semiauto properly.

(And don't get me wrong -- I love 9mm. I just hate reloading it.)

It seems to me that you're already heavily invested in the 627, which some (including me) would argue is one of the finest revolvers on the planet. The 929 will be a superb revolver, but if it was me I'd keep building the 627 as a race gun, and keep the 929 for fun plinking.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom