Need a plastic mud pan shaped container long enough to fit a barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I need something to dip barrels in for black oxide treatment. If I can't find a suitable container I will just used a piece of capped PVC, but I'd rather something shaped like a mud pan, the ones at the local hardware stores are just a tad too short. The company that sells the treatment encourages you to use buckets, but enough solution to fill a bucket enough to cover a barrel cost a small fortune. If anyone knows of anything, especially something I can pick up local, I am all ears.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I need something to dip barrels in for black oxide treatment. If I can't find a suitable container I will just used a piece of capped PVC, but I'd rather something shaped like a mud pan, the ones at the local hardware stores are just a tad too short. The company that sells the treatment encourages you to use buckets, but enough solution to fill a bucket enough to cover a barrel cost a small fortune. If anyone knows of anything, especially something I can pick up local, I am all ears.

How big do you need?

Would a bluing tank work?

165664.jpg

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I did look at planters, I couldn't find a basic planter without holes.

A plastic tank is recommended, black oxide gets used up trying to blacken the inside of the tank. I know phosphate gets stronger the more it is used, I am not sure how hot bluing works, I have never done it. I am doing black oxide over phosphate for this project because I no longer have a blast cabinet and compressor big enough to run one and supposedly the Romanians used Black oxide as the finish on the era of kits I am building next. It doesn't quite look like bluing and it definitely looks nothing like phosphate.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I did look at planters, I couldn't find a basic planter without holes.

A plastic tank is recommended, black oxide gets used up trying to blacken the inside of the tank. I know phosphate gets stronger the more it is used, I am not sure how hot bluing works, I have never done it. I am doing black oxide over phosphate for this project because I no longer have a blast cabinet and compressor big enough to run one and supposedly the Romanians used Black oxide as the finish on the era of kits I am building next. It doesn't quite look like bluing and it definitely looks nothing like phosphate.

IMO, I would not use a black oxide finish for a barrel. Caswell black oxide is common for knives.

I’ve never had to do anything that large before, but for knives and small parts a mixing cup or small bucket works.

Technically, bluing is black oxide, but to my understanding hot bluing is done slightly different.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Tractor Supply has some really small feed troughs I use when de-rusting or cleaning barrels---I believe they are
    sheep feed troughs. I've had mine for quite some time now---I presume they still have them--good luck!!!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    IMO, I would not use a black oxide finish for a barrel. Caswell black oxide is common for knives.

I’ve never had to do anything that large before, but for knives and small parts a mixing cup or small bucket works.

Technically, bluing is black oxide, but to my understanding hot bluing is done slightly different.

I was going to parkerize everything, but when I asked about matching the finish on AKfiles they suggested cold Black oxide because that is what the Romanians used. That was about the extent of my research though. I have enough stuff to park everything, just don't have a way to blast it. I could use a cheap blast gun with sand in the back yard, finding a proper mask might be a problem right now. My reusable respirator is too old and the rubber was brittle when I dug it out a couple months ago. I gotta say the suggested prep and finish results I have seen with black oxide have been pretty slick looking, and if the kits I have are indeed black oxide they look great. It doesn't look like traditional bluing or Park, and is not paint. It is black like park and slick like bluing if that makes any sense.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I was going to parkerize everything, but when I asked about matching the finish on AKfiles they suggested cold Black oxide because that is what the Romanians used. That was about the extent of my research though. I have enough stuff to park everything, just don't have a way to blast it. I could use a cheap blast gun with sand in the back yard, finding a proper mask might be a problem right now. My reusable respirator is too old and the rubber was brittle when I dug it out a couple months ago. I gotta say the suggested prep and finish results I have seen with black oxide have been pretty slick looking, and if the kits I have are indeed black oxide they look great. It doesn't look like traditional bluing or Park, and is not paint. It is black like park and slick like bluing if that makes any sense.

What do you plan on using as the after finish?

If you don’t finish it with oil or another sealer, it will be dull and rust easily, which is why I said it’s not so good for barrels.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’d just make something out of acrylic sheets (e.g., Plexiglass, Lucite). Why?
    • You can make it any size (exactly) you want, thicknesses from 1/8”, 3/16”, 1/4”, etc.
    • You can buy it lots of places.
    • It’s inexpensive.
    • You can score it to cut it, or use many types of tools.
    • It goes together fast with glue. (Use silicone sealer at corners after gluing for best seal & extra strength.)

Home Depot, Lowe’s etc. has it in the window section by the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Is 24 inches long enough?
    4.5 inches wide
    3 inches deep
    May need to spray it with leak sealer
    83fb4c5624960119ee06054213d415e3.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I have a metal Park tank, I was just looking for plastic for this application.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Honestly, if you ONLY plan to do barrels, the capped PVC idea isn't terrible.

Knifemakers do similar with large diameter PVC.

Just barrels and receivers. I'll give it a go on one set, if it turns out I will do all of my kits I have parts for. If it doesn't work out, I'll figure a way to blast and park them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just barrels and receivers. I'll give it a go on one set, if it turns out I will do all of my kits I have parts for. If it doesn't work out, I'll figure a way to blast and park them.

For Receivers, you can just use any plastic tub from Walmart. I use the cheap Sterilite types for parts washing or soaking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom