"I build AR's" - "Just shoot it"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For all the "builders" out there that think slapping something together and shooting it to see if there are issues, this is a reminder of why it's important to check your parts prior to installation. This is a brand new barrel from a manufacturer that has a relatively solid reputation. I bought this barrel with my own funds to see the quality for myself. I have sent an email to them to seek a replacement and for them to inspect the barrel to see what has gone wrong. There is a lengthy gash down the chamber that appears to have been caused after the barrel was coated. I am by no means condemning the manufacturer, nor will I disclose the manufacturer until the matter is resolved. This is simply a reminder to all to check your parts. Not long after posting in a build group, I got in contact with a rep. They hadn't seen the issue before and want the barrel for inspection. There is a replacement on the way with a return label for this one. For what it's worth, everything about the barrel was well made. I'm happy with it, but the chamber damage is unacceptable and I will have a replacement soon.

49918341722_f6fb74911d_b.jpg
    49917529708_ae93661931_b.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I guess Dremil tool was never mentioned,Then again by the pictures is that were the end of the hanging rod was at?

Possibly. The manufacturer's rep said he had never seen something like it before. The gash is fairly deep and has chatter. It goes almost to the throat and hooks.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    In the barrel coating process I’m sure they run something through the barrels but you wouldn’t think it would be hard enough to do that kind of damage. Is it just the coating? Because it looks deeper.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Possibly. The manufacturer's rep said he had never seen something like it before. The gash is fairly deep and has chatter. It goes almost to the throat and hooks.

i can’t imagine tool work being done after coating but chatter marks tell another tail.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Naaa not looking for names was just wondering if it was a sub $100 budget or something from the high end manufactures

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Naaa not looking for names was just wondering if it was a sub $100 budget or something from the high end manufactures

It is a reasonably priced barrel from a manufacturer with a decent reputation. To my knowledge, this is one of very few issues they have had over the past few years.

Mistakes can be made and things can get out the door unnoticed. Glad you caught it and glad they seem to be making it right.

I agree. They contacted me within the hour and had a pleasant conversation with the rep. I can't say the same for other companies I have dealt with.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    **Update 06/09/20**

For those curious, the barrel was ordered direct from Rosco Manufacturing. I was put in contact with Jacob Brightman and I must say that he has been great to work with. Rosco will continue to get my business. Customer service goes a long way and I’m happy with the outcome. After returning the original for inspection (at no cost to me), Jacob contacted me and notified me that a replacement had been shipped out. I received the replacement today. The chamber is clean and everything looks good. I do not have pin guages to check the port, but it does not appear to be too large. Given what I have been told, I feel confident it is sized properly. I will be installing a FCD GBF and some form of FCD Keymo mount to shoot suppressed. I checked headspace with a PTG 1.4636 Go, Forster 1.4646 Go, PTG No Go (which I believe is 1.4666), and PTG 1.4736 Field. The bolt rotated on the 1.4636 and was more snug on the 1.4646, but still rotated freely. It did not close on the No Go or Field. Overall I’m quite pleased with it, especially for the price and the great customer service. I can’t say the same for some other manufacturers.

49989610041_531dc70880_b.jpg

49989610026_d637a8c340_b.jpg

Top Bottom