When/What are You Feeding

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2019
    Farmerville, LA
    This will be my first full hunting season in LA. Was lucky and got on a lease up near the house in Union Parish. Just curious when you guys start feeding for the season and if you use anything besides corn? Food plot is not an option.

Thanks!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This will be my first full hunting season in LA. Was lucky and got on a lease up near the house in Union Parish. Just curious when you guys start feeding for the season and if you use anything besides corn? Food plot is not an option.

Thanks!

Generally, I do not start feeding them corn and rice bran till September in preparartion for bow season. But only in the spots I plan on bow hunting in October. I will generally fill the gun hunting area feeders in mid October. Now, that is only because I do both. If all I did was gun hunt I would start feeding them in September too.

I really don't care about shooting does except for convenience, and my wife is starting to get into it since she got her first buck late last season. I will most likely spend time setting up a killing scenario for her.

Mo-Bucks works good too!

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I feed 24-7 365. I use record rack professional as soon as the antlers drop and go back to corn when the velvet sheds from their new antlers. Don't feed corn in the summer. Not enough protein for good antler growth. When I can get it I will use soybeans in the summer instead of RR.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Depending on where you hunt, how you hunt, and the quality of property you have, you may not NEED to feed at all. The key is to learn how deer move on your property. You can catch them going/coming from bedding areas and various sources of food whether it be a neighboring property that has food plots/feeders running all the time, nearby crop fields or a cluster of hardwoods on your property. You can look at satellite imagery and get a general idea of where to start scouting. I don't use feeders, but will bring a few ears of corn with me to stand on the day of a hunt and place it behind a tree to stop them for a close-up bow shot. I prefer to stay out of areas I hunt as much as possible to leave less scent around. This has worked for me for 25+ years. If I had more time and resources I would plant food plots/crops.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I may take some heat on this but I don’t like ‘feeding’ deer if I have other options. If it’s literally your only way to provide them a food source on your property, you do what have to but please take a look at this article before you just go pumping the corn to them.

https://www.agfc.com/en/news/2019/08/14/think-twice-before-filling-the-corn-feeder/

Here are some alternative management techniques:

https://www.qdma.com/try-bow-range-burning-for-archery-attraction/

https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/ar...al-stumps-provide-white-tailed-deer-nutrition

https://www.qdma.com/put-green-leaves-deer-level/

If you can’t do any of that is in these articles I understand we hunt timber property so us burning is a non-starter, and cutting has to be done in a very sparing manner. Normally we plant big plots for summer and fall, but this year the have so much under story from the thinning that timber company has been doing we have elected not to waste the seed or fuel to plant. Prior to last season if we had a bad summer crop we saw very few deer because thick pine plantations create massive dead zones for understory forage.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    up north we spread clover seeds as soon as the last frost started.
    early spring we fed old produce if it was a hard winter.
    salt/mineral blocks at the end of spring.
    the month before season(early primitive weapons) we throw out smashed taters and apples every couple days till the week before. then we stop all feeding.

Top Bottom