Training - Those who get it and those who don't

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    I left the forum, because it was clear that no good information exists here unless it comes from Dave M's mouth. I didn't even come back to start an argument. I just want to find another instructor like Paul Gomez, and Dave took it upon himself to half ass slander Paul, and make no other statements that add to anything he hasn't said already.

I will gladly let anyone here sit in on any class I give and accept your criticisms as they are. As long as they are done in a professional manner. I have nothing else to contribute, and there is no benefit for me in any other section of this forum unless something I want comes across the BST, so I will take my leave and relegate myself to that section of the forum. Good day...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I left the forum, because it was clear that no good information exists here unless it comes from Dave M's mouth. I didn't even come back to start an argument. I just want to find another instructor like Paul Gomez, and Dave took it upon himself to half ass slander Paul, and make no other statements that add to anything he hasn't said already.

I will gladly let anyone here sit in on any class I give and accept your criticisms as they are. As long as they are done in a professional manner. I have nothing else to contribute, and there is no benefit for me in any other section of this forum unless something I want comes across the BST, so I will take my leave and relegate myself to that section of the forum. Good day...

I'm sorry to tell you, Josh, I don't care what you think my comment meant. My comment did not take anything away from Gomez and his work. When you instruct CHP classes, do you recommend students take training elsewhere to broaden their skillset?

What training company do you run? You're obviously a concealed handgun permit instructor.

Do you even have a business license? Or do you just offer classes for people on your friends list for cash?

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Don't you quit!

"You gotta fight, for your right, to parrrrtayyyy!"

---Beastie Boys

:mamoru:

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I don’t come here often but wow, there are some people here that don’t like each other. LOL. But let’s talk about training.

I’m a training junkie. I take all I can get. Mostly with Phobos because there is a really core group of guys that train regularly with them and Lewis and Nick are outstanding instructors.

They’ve taken guys like Kevin, Brock, and Przemek to incredible levels in just a few years and those guys regularly take any Phobos class they can get too—-I think Kevin told me he has taken Defensive Handgun 101 like seven times. Przemek just finished fourth in Elite in Tactical Games (and has been a top finisher several times).

Solid, supportive classmates, outstanding instruction, and great depth of knowledge. If you are into resumes, there aren’t many people around with Lew’s extensive SWAT training background.

I made a post on my social media a while back about how awesome it is to fail at training. Because that’s where you learn and how you grow. You learn your shortcomings and that of your gear and weapon systems really quickly. There’s no hurt ego. That’s what you are there for.

Look I sell expensive guns and gear, mostly NFA stuff, and I am here to tell you that I would much rather see you invest money in training regularly than buying new toys from me. Your training will make abundantly clear what you need to buy. But you can’t buy skill. Amateurs talk hardware, professionals talk software. Just my humble opinion.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don’t come here often but wow, there are some people here that don’t like each other. LOL. But let’s talk about training.

I’m a training junkie. I take all I can get. Mostly with Phobos because there is a really core group of guys that train regularly with them and Lewis and Nick are outstanding instructors.

They’ve taken guys like Kevin, Brock, and Przemek to incredible levels in just a few years and those guys regularly take any Phobos class they can get too—-I think Kevin told me he has taken Defensive Handgun 101 like seven times. Przemek just finished fourth in Elite in Tactical Games (and has been a top finisher several times).

Solid, supportive classmates, outstanding instruction, and great depth of knowledge. If you are into resumes, there aren’t many people around with Lew’s extensive SWAT training background.

I made a post on my social media a while back about how awesome it is to fail at training. Because that’s where you learn and how you grow. You learn your shortcomings and that of your gear and weapon systems really quickly. There’s no hurt ego. That’s what you are there for.

Look I sell expensive guns and gear, mostly NFA stuff, and I am here to tell you that I would much rather see you invest money in training regularly than buying new toys from me. Your training will make abundantly clear what you need to buy. But you can’t buy skill. Amateurs talk hardware, professionals talk software. Just my humble opinion.

I met Lewis and Nick out at MCTA for the first time today. Both seemed like really nice guys and I fully intend on taking a few classes with them.

If you have their contact info, send it to me in a PM. I wouldn't mind getting them back on the forum with their schedule and the likes.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I met Przemek at a VATA class and am amazed at how far he has come.

I agree with everything stated. Training is essential.

I just finished up a CHP Renewal class and I am thankful that it's only once every five years. I was a little disheartened by some of the students when it came to the qualification. Some simply didn't care enough to even try. Some had the over inflated ego and tried too hard. Some actually asked for help, but the majority took it as a chore rather than a learning experience. Granted, it's the CHP course, but the course of fire is comical and there is no reason anyone should fail it... yet they do.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Getting back on track... I would have liked to take the church class, still would actually. Never could find one when I had both time and money and didn't have to work. CCW classes are available 24/7. Others take some scheduling.

And add me to the $100/200 rounds available, a whole weekend, $500 and 1000 rounds not so much column.

Most of my time and money goes into combatives / hand to hand training. There's a limited amount of time and spending money available in the budget.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    With all the craziness going I started to concealed carry again. I took Advantage Group's Gunfighter 1 class 5 or 6 years ago. Last year I also attended a short 4 hour concealed carry class one evening with Nate at FRC. I was thinking of either taking GF 1 again when available or Defensive Pistol at FRC. I was hoping the training gurus might have some input to which one of these would be a more appropriate class.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I met Lewis and Nick out at MCTA for the first time today. Both seemed like really nice guys and I fully intend on taking a few classes with them.

If you have their contact info, send it to me in a PM. I wouldn't mind getting them back on the forum with their schedule and the likes.

Damn, I was there too (at the back 200yd. range doing pistol skills, we did a carbine skills today), I wish I would have known I would have liked to have met you. They have an awesome website at www.phobossolutions.com with their training calendar. They are getting ready to release the schedule for the next few months. Should come out this week but they both have been super busy dealing with the protests. Their contact info is there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    With all the craziness going I started to concealed carry again. I took Advantage Group's Gunfighter 1 class 5 or 6 years ago. Last year I also attended a short 4 hour concealed carry class one evening with Nate at FRC. I was thinking of either taking GF 1 again when available or Defensive Pistol at FRC. I was hoping the training gurus might have some input to which one of these would be a more appropriate class.

It depends on what you’re looking for.

GF1 will cover fundamentals and basics (drawing from the holster)
    GF2 goes into movement and such.
    They added a GF3 recently.

FRC has many classes. You can find everything from fundamentals to a pistol RDS specific class, force on force, and home defense courses. They are also planning to add more new courses later this year.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA

I'd like to take a handgun training class, but haven't been able to determine the best group to go with. Besides Phobos holding their classes there, MCTA advertises training classes on their own page. I'm not sure if there is any other relationship between them. Have you taken any of the "MCTA" classes, by chance?

"Your training will make abundantly clear what you need to buy." - I think that is a great quote.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Not sure if there’s a “best” but I’ve taken a class and a private lesson now at FRC in Baton Rouge and they’ve both been very high quality. Signed up for their CCW+ class next Sunday.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'd like to take a handgun training class, but haven't been able to determine the best group to go with. Besides Phobos holding their classes there, MCTA advertises training classes on their own page. I'm not sure if there is any other relationship between them. Have you taken any of the "MCTA" classes, by chance?

"Your training will make abundantly clear what you need to buy." - I think that is a great quote.

MCTA and FRC are about the only places offering a lot of training right now. Phobos has been teaching at MCTA and Advantage Group has been running a few classes here and there in Robert.

From what I've heard of MCTA courses, they are worthwhile. Although I'm a member, I've yet to take any of their courses. I'll likely link up with Phobos at some point. I don't see anyone besides them offering shotgun training.

Top Bottom