Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Ed

User Info Menu

Refer to each and every "DAVE_M" post above: (and others)
    Spot on 100% correct and well presented, IMO. Should be read verbatim to every CCW class.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword [weapon], sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

I think a big problem with learning anything is people taking one person's opinion as fact and rolling with it. Aside from that, as you mentioned, people just don't want to learn or question that their current knowledge/opinion may be wrong. It's comfortable knowing that you're right and not ever challenging it.

We have members of this forum who will tell you that a .45 ACP or larger caliber revolver is the absolute best self-defense handgun because: 'Stopping power,' 'their dad/grand-father used it,' and 'revolvers don't jam.'

You just don't know what you don't know.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I remember a distinct home defense thread where a lot of the *you don’t need training* crowd dogpiled the conversation.

If you’re serious about carrying a firearm, it would be foolish not to seek training to better yourself.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Glock Holsters For Sale - Raven Concealment & PHLster Holsters

Moving forward

User Info Menu

Some firearm owners are intimidated to step on a line with a group of people. My wife was one of them and I know of others as well.

It took some convincing to get my wife to agree to a class. She finally went with a friend to a women’s class that Vata put on and had a good time. She’s done several other since then.

I know of others that simply want the right to be able to carry a handgun to protect themselves and haven’t even considered getting training or even knew that such training was available civilians.

I would add.. anyone considering taking a class and you’re worried about showing up etc, don’t be. Most of the instructors are more than willing to go the extra mile in helping to make sure you get the training you paid for. Find somewhere a friend can attend with you. It’ll make it that much more fun.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
    From a previous thread...

Total By Age
    [21-30] 14016
    [31-40] 30223
    [41-50] 35135
    [51-60] 40364
    [61-70] 43177
    [71-80] 30399
    [81-90] 9451
    [91 and above] 2380
    I think a 91 year old packing a gun is bad ass.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Moving forward

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I think a 91 year old packing a gun is bad ass.
    Ha! Yeah there’s a few of them.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
    I would add.. anyone considering taking a class and you’re worried about showing up etc, don’t be. Most of the instructors are more than willing to go the extra mile in helping to make sure you get the training you paid for. Find somewhere a friend can attend with you. It’ll make it that much more fun.
    Every class I've ever shown up to, I feel like I'm the worst shooter there when we first arrive. Then once the class begins and people start shooting, you will see where you stand. Just remember that the reason why you're there isn't to compete with anyone, you're there for you.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Glock Holsters For Sale - Raven Concealment & PHLster Holsters

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I was lucky to have family in law enforcement and the military who started me off on the right foot at an early age learning to shoot. I was also fortunate enough to befriend a couple of guys over the years that were definitely qualified and glad to give that one to one instruction and also able to critique my abilities and shortcomings in the best ways. That continued well into my 30’s and has been a good foundation to add to throughout my life. Having a private range is also a huge plus. Training with a sheriff dept and paying for training and little vacations at thunder ranch has been great, but the solid one on one instruction I’ve received, especially early in my life, has been the most effective training and what tends to be the base for everything carry and shooting related for me. My point is, training is good. It’s a must. With it comes the need for mental conditioning as well. Classes are great. There’s a lot more to keeping yourself armed In the event you may need to defend yourself or others from the bad guy. Don’t rule out a little personalized training from trusted qualified people in your life. Especially when it comes to the basics.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I was lucky to have family in law enforcement and the military who started me off on the right foot at an early age learning to shoot. I was also fortunate enough to befriend a couple of guys over the years that were definitely qualified and glad to give that one to one instruction and also able to critique my abilities and shortcomings in the best ways. That continued well into my 30ís and has been a good foundation to add to throughout my life. Having a private range is also a huge plus. Training with a sheriff dept and paying for training and little vacations at thunder ranch has been great, but the solid one on one instruction Iíve received, especially early in my life, has been the most effective training and what tends to be the base for everything carry and shooting related for me. My point is, training is good. Itís a must. With it comes the need for mental conditioning as well. Classes are great. Thereís a lot more to keeping yourself armed In the event you may need to defend yourself or others from the bad guy. Donít rule out a little personalized training from trusted qualified people in your life. Especially when it comes to the basics.
    So did you meet Clint Smith? Iíd like to sit and talk to that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Sooooo Cheesy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Every class I've ever shown up to, I feel like I'm the worst shooter there when we first arrive. Then once the class begins and people start shooting, you will see where you stand. Just remember that the reason why you're there isn't to compete with anyone, you're there for you.
    Same here.
    I went 11B straight out of high school.
    We trained a lot and I got a good foundation but what you find from training is that it fades.
    You constantly need to retrain to keep your skillset.
    PSA: run up on me while I'm getting my Beef and Cheddar on and point a gun or gun like object in my face, be prepared to catch some hot ones. -Vanilla Gorilla

Okay, why the hell is there a cock picture in my thread? -JWG223