Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy Lasagna View Post
    Same here.
    I went 11B straight out of high school.
    We trained a lot and I got a good foundation but what you find from training is that it fades.
    You constantly need to retrain to keep your skillset.
    Training sets the coursework. It's up to you to do the homework. I'm not a shining example of perfection, but I know shooters that are. They put in the work multiple days a week and constantly attend training. They never become complacent.

There are members of this forum that think shooting the same six plates of a plate rack slow fire with random pistols is adequate for them to take on a slew of bad guys. Those are the people that need to be filling basic pistol classes every weekend.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Glock Holsters For Sale - Raven Concealment & PHLster Holsters

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    So did you meet Clint Smith? Iíd like to sit and talk to that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sadly no, although I did meet Heidi at the Texas Ranch years ago. I donít really know how present he is at the training but I hear Clint has a real nice collection of H&K weapons Iíd like to see.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I was lucky to have family in law enforcement and the military who started me off on the right foot at an early age learning to shoot. I was also fortunate enough to befriend a couple of guys over the years that were definitely qualified and glad to give that one to one instruction and also able to critique my abilities and shortcomings in the best ways. That continued well into my 30ís and has been a good foundation to add to throughout my life. Having a private range is also a huge plus. Training with a sheriff dept and paying for training and little vacations at thunder ranch has been great, but the solid one on one instruction Iíve received, especially early in my life, has been the most effective training and what tends to be the base for everything carry and shooting related for me. My point is, training is good. Itís a must. With it comes the need for mental conditioning as well. Classes are great. Thereís a lot more to keeping yourself armed In the event you may need to defend yourself or others from the bad guy. Donít rule out a little personalized training from trusted qualified people in your life. Especially when it comes to the basics.
    For someone who claims to have trained a good bit, I do find it odd that you were adamantly against using a shot timer.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see you did attend training at some point.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    For someone who claims to have trained a good bit, I do find it odd that you were adamantly against using a shot timer.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see you did attend training at some point.
    I have no idea what you’re talking about Dave. I’m not a race gun shooter nor do I shoot competitively, nor have I ever claimed to. And I can honestly say I don’t own nor have I ever used a shot timer. I also don’t recall ever having offered an opinion on shot timers here, but if I did I’m sure you’ve archived it, for whatever reason. So I find a great deal odd about you as well. If you think a shot timer is absolutely necessary in becoming proficient with a firearm, by all means, use a shot timer. So are you calling me out about my simple claims of having been responsible enough over a lifetime of shooting to learn from people and to train and better myself in a sport that I enjoy? I’m glad I pleasantly surprised you but I can’t imagine why you think I care what you think. Or how you believe you know what other people think...
    For someone who thinks they offer so much to this site, you sure do seem to go out of your way to provoke people. Is it that I haven’t shown you any attention lately and ignored your last attempt at getting a response from me?
    Last edited by Magdump; May 21st, 2020 at 09:19 PM.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have no idea what you’re talking about Dave. I’m not a race gun shooter nor do I shoot competitively, nor have I ever claimed to. And I can honestly say I don’t own nor have I ever used a shot timer. I also don’t recall ever having offered an opinion on shot timers here, but if I did I’m sure you’ve archived it, for whatever reason. So I find a great deal odd about you as well. If you think a shot timer is absolutely necessary in becoming proficient with a firearm, by all means, use a shot timer. So are you calling me out about my simple claims of having been responsible enough over a lifetime of shooting to learn from people and to train and better myself in a sport that I enjoy? I’m glad I pleasantly surprised you but I can’t imagine why you think I care what you think. Or how you believe you know what other people think...
    For someone who thinks they offer so much to this site, you sure do seem to go out of your way to provoke people. Is it that I haven’t shown you any attention lately and ignored your last attempt at getting a response from me?
    I may be thinking of someone else. Carry on.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Don't you two have each other on ignore or did I have a good dream?
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Don't you two have each other on ignore or did I have a good dream?
    I don’t have anyone on ignore.

I found who I was thinking of about the shot timer. No harm, no foul.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Jeezers

I’m sure it’s just me.
    At least he’s not spewing filthy names today

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

But I guess you actually don’t believe in shot timers, so lucky guess?

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post

1) Training is time consuming. One of the biggest issues with attending training is that it is time consuming. Unless the course is on a specialty topic, most courses are 8 hours long and sometimes consecutive days. This is difficult for those who work, have children, and have other obligations.
    I'll chime in on this as a newer shooter, but one who is fairly deeply invested in both sport and self-defence aspects of shooting. I for one desperately want more training. I love getting my ass kicked, I love a steep learning curve, I love being around experts, and I love being coached. I want to try competition one day maybe if I can. I want to be able to defend my family instinctively and confidently.

For me, the biggest hurdle is the large time blocks required by off-the-shelf courses. I have time to train, and I go to the range at least once a week, but that's only about a two hour commitment (30 mins each way, hour at the range). I've found a bunch of great courses but most are weekend affairs and thus inaccessible for logistical reasons. I was just reading a book by the founders of KR Training in Texas and something they said in the book resonated with Dave's comment here. I'll copy it below:

More than a decade ago, KR training converted most of the courses it offers into 3- and 4- hour blocks designed as a series. Teaching everything someone needs to know in a 4-hour class is an impossible task. Consequently, the burden is on the instructor to prioritize skills in their course design. The competition for course time is comprised of family and job responsibilities, other interests, and, of course, dollars. The reality is that more people can spend 4 hours, $100, and 200 rounds on a Saturday training class than there are people who can spend $500, 20 hours, and 1,000 rounds on an all weekend course.

I actually had this highlighted in the book, because I would kill for something like this within driving distance here in LA: a series of sequential shorter classes over a month or two. For someone like me, there's a big gap between supply and demand for accessible training locally -- we don't really have anything between "Pistols 101" and "Commando Camp Weekend" (that I can find easily, at least). Since I can't commit to a full weekend course, other than one-on-one instruction by the hour, I'm basically relegated to a LOT of reading, a lot of videos, dedicated drills at range time, and loads of dry fire practice. It's not about money or willingness, it's just about availability.
    Last edited by southerncanuck; May 21st, 2020 at 10:22 PM.