Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    I think we're violently agreeing.

His point (or, at least, his point as I interpreted it) is that when you're training, you start slow and steady, so that you can properly develop the motions. With practice, the speed will come.

Mike
    Within context.

You don’t get fast by shooting slow.

First time I shot a perfect score on a drill, I was satisfied. I met the goal, but now I had to shoot it faster. I try to document everything so I can track performance.
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Don't you two have each other on ignore or did I have a good dream?
    No, people complained when I used the ignore feature so Iím kinda stuck putting up with him. I wish youíd talk to your boy tho.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I got a CHP 10 years ago when I made 65, I didn't get it earlier because I am a cheap SOB and didn't want to pay full price. Since then I have taken several courses with Advantage group and also try to learn from reading and videos. I have a private range so I can shoot whenever I want and most of it is with the G 19 I carry. I probably shoot 2000 to 3000 rounds a year. As someone previously wrote classes aren't cheap especially when you are retired and on a fixed income. I have to balance what I spend on shooting with other activities with my wife and family.
    I would like to be able to take classes every few months but it just ain't happening.
    Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool
    Everyone is brave until the roach flies

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    No, people complained when I used the ignore feature so Iím kinda stuck putting up with him. I wish youíd talk to your boy tho.
    Okay, about what?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    Okay, about what?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    Probably nothing to do with this thread.

Speaking of training, it’s nice to see there are local outfits still hosting classes during this odd *pandemic.*
    *Disclaimer: Not on the vetted list. Defer all serious inquiries to the resident experts.*

Marksman

User Info Menu

I really do think it is a time and/or issue with many folks. I, for example, I work rotating shift work. So before I want to do anything gun related or not I have to see if I am working. Then we all have commitments at home. Grass cutting, honey do projects or straight up goof off time relaxing. I only get to the range 3-4 times a year. I want to go more but never seem to make it. I will have days off coming up and I think I need to get my stuff together to go shooting but by the time its time to go back to work I never seem to actually make it to the range. I took the Gunfighter I class with Advantage Group many years ago. It was a good class but I do not shoot all the time so those things learned are lost over time. I need to take it again but spending a weekend at a range is a lot time. I do have a CC permit but I generally do not use it. Since I am a vet it's free so why not??? I think I know more people that either have permits and don't use them or just keep a pistol in their vehicle and not worry about paying for the permit and training. IMHO it seems very few actually CC outside of BS.com. And I am always surprised when I hear people say that it's illegal to carry a firearm.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flamatrix99 View Post
    I really do think it is a time and/or issue with many folks. I, for example, I work rotating shift work. So before I want to do anything gun related or not I have to see if I am working. Then we all have commitments at home. Grass cutting, honey do projects or straight up goof off time relaxing. I only get to the range 3-4 times a year. I want to go more but never seem to make it. I will have days off coming up and I think I need to get my stuff together to go shooting but by the time its time to go back to work I never seem to actually make it to the range. I took the Gunfighter I class with Advantage Group many years ago. It was a good class but I do not shoot all the time so those things learned are lost over time. I need to take it again but spending a weekend at a range is a lot time. I do have a CC permit but I generally do not use it. Since I am a vet it's free so why not??? I think I know more people that either have permits and don't use them or just keep a pistol in their vehicle and not worry about paying for the permit and training. IMHO it seems very few actually CC outside of BS.com. And I am always surprised when I hear people say that it's illegal to carry a firearm.
    This could lead into a discussion on dry fire. It doesn't matter how much training you have, a good dry fire routine can be very helpful. Airsoft pistols, SIRT pistols, and even blue guns can help a good routine at home.

Last edited by DAVE_M; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.

Moving forward

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    This could lead into a discussion on dry fire. It doesn't matter how much training you have, a good dry fire routine can be very helpful. Airsoft pistols, SIRT pistols, and even blue guns can help a good routine at home.

Good info.

Incorporating a shot timer into a dry fire session pays off. Allowing you to benchmark yourself and then compare the times to what you did last time or when you can do the same drills with live ammo.

Something else that’s easy to do now days is to video yourself from different angles during a dry fire session and playback to see where you can make improvements. Most phones have slo mo capabilities and it can really help to detect little things That you’d normally not see.

One thing that I picked up on during a session was that as I sped up to beat the set par time I would bring my finger to the trigger sooner than I realized I was doing it. I made the mental note and was able to correct it quickly.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
    Good info.

Incorporating a shot timer into a dry fire session pays off. Allowing you to benchmark yourself and then compare the times to what you did last time or when you can do the same drills with live ammo.

Something else that’s easy to do now days is to video yourself from different angles during a dry fire session and playback to see where you can make improvements. Most phones have slo mo capabilities and it can really help to detect little things That you’d normally not see.

One thing that I picked up on during a session was that as I sped up to beat the set par time I would bring my finger to the trigger sooner than I realized I was doing it. I made the mental note and was able to correct it quickly.
    I have taken a class with John Mcphee where slow motion video is used to break down the mechanics or your presentation and grip. Video and shot timers are invaluable tools. Having the video saved to rewatch whenever I need to is very helpful. It’s tough to break bad habits.